View Full Version : Chinese camera with wi-fi

Paul R Johnson
September 14th, 2015, 02:51 AM
For a couple of years I've been using a bunch of the Chinese DJ4000 type small cameras. In fact, I have two real GoPros, and the simplicity of the Chinese versions means I use them in preference - and of course they use the same adaptors and mounts. I've been using one of the 6000 cameras a couple of weeks now, and it's the same thing, but with larger LCD and some hurts and time-lapse modes added, and slightly better audio - and a few extra menu items. The cost is ridiculously low, and I have 9 in total now - which for my projects is really useful, as I can hide them in interesting places, and not get worried when they get smashed, which has happened a couple of times now by scenery crashing into them on stage.

They are available from the usual Chinese sources, and best bit is the new version has wifi and can run to my phone for monitoring and control.

Chris Harding
September 14th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Hi Paul

I actually bought two SJ4000's and sold my GoPros!! The GoPro's were locking up at weddings and generally being unreliable ...I paid $113 for the SJ4000 complete with all accessories much more than the GoPro ..plus it has an LCD too!! Never failed me either!! I'm looking at getting the SJ5000PLUS ..it has a bigger sensor than the 6000 (Panasonic) and way better low light supposedly! About $150.00 here

Steve Bleasdale
September 17th, 2015, 03:29 AM
hey Chris my other post for my son in Australia is this cam OK better than the go pro hero first one at £95, does it take photos as well. steve

Roger Gunkel
September 17th, 2015, 04:02 AM
Hi Steve,

I have a Gopro Hero 3 Silver and a pair of SJ4000s. I don't find any noticeable difference in quality and the SJ4000s have the advantage of the built in screen. The GoPro has the wifi app which can be useful for remote control, but I believe the new SJ4000s have that as well.

The SJ4000 also comes with a big range of accessories which, if bought separately for the GoPro would cost more than the complete SJ4000 camera and kit. You could also buy a fistful of SJ4000s for the price of a GoPro, so loss or damage is far less of a worry..

The SJ4000 takes stills and video and there is a comprehensive sub menu for things like white balance, ISO etc, plus a telephoto which just zooms in on the sensor, like the GoPro does with it's 3 FOV settings. It does mean you can reduce the FOV rather than cropping later.

Roger

Steve Bleasdale
September 17th, 2015, 05:22 AM
brilliant roger, is the 5000+ better or just get the cheaper 4000

Roger Gunkel
September 17th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Thought I already replied to this but it seems to have disappeared :-(

The SJ5000+ I believe has the Panasonic 1/2.3 sensor which should be a noticeable improvement over the earlier ones. It also has the benefit of screen and wifi.

Roger

Steve Bleasdale
September 17th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Cheers Roger, you posted on Chris post below , similar thing cheers mate.