View Full Version : Loop Based Music Licensing

Andrew Clark
September 25th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Hello -

Does anybody know about the licensing issues, if any, when creating a musical composition using loop based software (i.e., Sony Acid Pro, GarageBand, etc...)???

Basically what I'm trying to find out is ... if I create a musical composition using such software, do I "legally" own the license / rights / etc. to the composition even though I purchased and used multiple loops created by various other artists?

Also, any suggestions (websites, books) for reading up on licensing would be much appreciated too!!!

Mike Watson
September 25th, 2015, 11:30 PM
I believe it's in the terms of use of GarageBand. I've used it for broadcast TV in the US and never had any problems.

Roger Gunkel
September 26th, 2015, 03:28 AM
Same with me, used Garage Band and Magix Music Maker many times for commercial work and upload to YouTube etc with never a problem.

It may be different now, but in my recording studio days some years ago, you could sample and use virtually anything providing the sample didn't exceed 10 seconds.

Roger

Paul R Johnson
September 26th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Oddly, the system employed by PPL now has samples itemised as non-featured performances, and they have a first generation sample, then a second generation (as in a sampled sample) and even third generation. Their members can do a search of themselves to find if anyone has incorporated any of their work, in a later sampled one. This assumes users fill in the studio data on recordings. Members usually do, non-members don't. However, this does suggest that if the owner finds out you used it, they can make a claim - and I guess if the recording then turns out to be an illegal one, they could take action.

If the legit users have to pay, then non-legit ones will have to too.

Interesting.

Andrew Clark
September 26th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Oddly, the system employed by PPL ...

Apologize for my stupidity here ... but what is PPL?

Mike Watson
September 26th, 2015, 05:30 PM
PPL is who you license music from in the UK. Like ASCAP/BMI here in the states.

Andrew Clark
September 27th, 2015, 10:16 AM
PPL is who you license music from in the UK. Like ASCAP/BMI here in the states.

Ahhh ... got it; thanks!!!

Paul R Johnson
September 27th, 2015, 10:34 AM
We have two - PPL and PRS, PPL for the recordings and PRS for the composer's rights!

Andrew Clark
September 27th, 2015, 12:24 PM
We have two - PPL and PRS, PPL for the recordings and PRS for the composer's rights!

So (if I was a U.K. resident) would I need to register with both organizations if I Composed and Recorded my compositions?