View Full Version : New XC-10 Footage

Jim Martin
September 28th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Our client and my friend Bruce Birnbaum shot some nice footage this weekend with the XC-10. He was testing it for his key B/C camera to go with his C300 MK II (both having the same codec). He shot a lot of back-lit footage, partly because he couldn't move the ocean and the land 180 degrees! ...and he finished with some stills he shot. Overall he was very happy with how it performed.....
Canon XC10 - TEST! :) on Vimeo

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com

Andrew Maclaurin
September 29th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Is it me or does it look very jerky especially using the zoom?

Jim Martin
September 29th, 2015, 02:17 PM
I suspect it might be your settings.....I saw the video on the shooter's phone and it was smooth and when I played it on my computer, I had to adjust the settings to make it look right.....

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com

Wacharapong Chiowanich
October 1st, 2015, 02:37 AM
There's definitely judder in the video. People walking, boats moving etc. This camera needs another set of NDs as you say in the comment on Vimeo.

Mark Dobson
October 5th, 2015, 12:06 AM
My initial thought when I bought a Canon XC10 was that it would make a good companion to the C300 MK2 which I plan to move up to from my C300. Same new codex, 4K etc etc.

However I returned it to the dealer because the picture quality was so disappointing and that was a shame because there were many things I really liked about the camera including the form factor and the touchscreen interface.

And when I looked at the footage posted in this thread it reminded me of the images I acquired when testing the camera out. They are sort of OK, quite pleasant but a bit milky in appearance, not very sharp and to my eye a bit flat and disappointing and certainly don't have the wow factor I have come expect from Canon.

When I returned my XC-10 I picked up a Sony RC-10 MK 2 and this is, whilst costing less than the XC-10, a far better camera. It has a very high definition viewfinder ( compared to the cheap plastic eye funnel Canon provide with the XC-10), produces superb 1080p 240fps and 120 fps slo mo, has a very smooth zoom lens with a fixed 2.8 aperture and it also has a built in ND Filter.

This whole experience has made me a bit more wary about buying the new C300 Mk 2, again far more expensive than similar offerings from Sony. But I have such a high regard for the images I get from my C300 that I'll probably bite the bullet and go for the upgrade.

Andrew Maclaurin
October 5th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Mark,
I think this is a problem many are facing. The Canons produce lovely images and colours but are very expensive when comparing to the specs on the latest Sonys. The problem is that the Sonys have a different look and I for one prefer the Canon look (graded or not).
I've been trawling the internet for good examples of footage from the XC10 and I've found very little (taking into account occasional poor compression on Youtube or Vimeo). At least nothing that would make me part with the money they are asking for it. I'm looking for a B cam to my C100 as the 700D I use just doesn't cut it.
As much as I love the C100 I'm tempted to jump ship when it comes to my next upgrade.

Mark Dobson
October 5th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Hi Andrew,

Here are some clips from both the XC10 and the RX10 MK2. Both have been graded.

rx10 - YouTube

Andrew Maclaurin
October 9th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Interesting video Mark.
To my eyes the XC10 looked better in the exteriors and the RX10ii possibly better in the interiors. It would have been interesting to see how they both handled the interior conference and mingling scenes.

Brian Rhodes
October 9th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Canon XC10 4K Test Footage - Thailand
Canon XC10 4K Test Footage - Thailand - YouTube

Brian Rhodes
October 25th, 2015, 11:01 AM
A Day With the Canon XC10 - YouTube

Brian Rhodes
November 2nd, 2015, 12:04 PM
Canon XC10 lowlight C-log Profile hand held ISO 3200 to 4000
Canon XC10 is good up to 3200 ISO 4000 is still usable.

Canon xc10 lowlight footage - YouTube

Canon XC10 lowlight on Vimeo

Brian Rhodes
November 18th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Ferrari Festival Houston 2015

Ferarri Festival Houston 2015 - YouTube

Ferrari Festival Houston 2015 on Vimeo

Rodger Smith
March 1st, 2016, 07:10 PM
Hi Andrew, Here are some clips from both the XC10 and the RX10 MK2. Both have been graded.rx10 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kUQA6H2Zzs)

The Sony looked flat and washed out in my personal opinion. The XC10 looked less than what I have been expecting and starting to wonder if the Sony AX33 is more in line with my photo/video needs? :-(

Brian Rhodes
May 5th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Canon Clog Graded with Magic Bullet Film in Vegas Pro14

Canon XC10 X15 REEL on Vimeo

Canon XC10 Xc15 clog REEL - YouTube

Ann Bens
May 7th, 2017, 05:03 AM
Not using a tripod (or some sort of stabilization) is detriment (hope Google translated this correct) to the footage. But that is me.