View Full Version : New to video making need some advice please

Rick Lees
October 19th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Hello

Im new to video making and need some advice please. I have just brought my self the Sony camcorder and I would like to know a few things.
If I am only using the 1 camera how can I cut to another seen with out cutting the audio off? What i mean by that is say im recording a water fall and i want to record something next to the water how do i cut from the water to the other object without losing the sound of the water in the background? Do i need a box for just recording the audio stream or something?

Tim Borek
October 19th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Just record more waterfall footage than you need. In your editing program, you can split the audio from the video clip and trim the waterfall video clip where you need it to end. Then, just place the next video clip immediately after the waterfall clip. The waterfall audio will be heard for the duration.

I'm assuming that you're using a multitrack video editor such as Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, etc. I don't know if you can do this with storyboard-based video editors like Ulead VideoStudio.

Hope this helps!

T.J.

Rick Lees
October 19th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Hello I appreciate your advice on this one

So basically what you are saying is put both clips on the timeline and have the main picture i want to show playing and have the audio from the other clip playing in the background?

the other thing i am also interested in is knowing once im happy with my results how do i then get the footage off my pc/mac onto a dvd? Can I bounce the edited video back to the camera using a firewire cable and record it back onto the tape and do it that way? Then once onto the camera i can connect it up to a dvd recorder?

Bob Costa
October 20th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Rick, you really need to invest in a book on basic video. No one here minds answering questions, but you will get frustrated with your pace of learning if this is your source for such basic info. It is comparable to trying to learn to walk taking only one step a day. I have 35 books in my video library, and add more all the time.

You want to make a DVD direct from your computer. You will also need a DVD authoring program in addition to your NLE. That program will let you create DVD menus and other things depending on its capabilities. SOMe programs like Sony Movie Maker (?) bundle this iwth the NLE. Going thru the DV process you suggest works but results in a big loss of quality and takes way too long. It also leaves you without any menus on the DVD.

James Bridges
October 20th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Here's a great book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0240803949/qid=1129823171/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/104-3989703-1994320?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

There are tons of books out there for you to learn. Also think about taking a crash course on technique. Good Luck!

Bob Costa
October 20th, 2005, 10:33 AM
That DOES look like a good book, but I bet it is too advanced/specific for Rick's needs. I was thinking something more basic like "Digital Video for DUmmies". Come to think of it, I would sell my barely used copy of you want...

Dylan Couper
October 20th, 2005, 11:08 AM
That DOES look like a good book, but I bet it is too advanced/specific for Rick's needs. I was thinking something more basic like "Digital Video for DUmmies". Come to think of it, I would sell my barely used copy of you want...

Someone gave me a copy a while back as a joke (I HOPE), I leafed through it. It's really a very good beginners book. I'd reccomend it (or sell mine!).

A. J. deLange
October 21st, 2005, 11:49 AM
If you are on the Mac platform the included application iDVD will allow you to transfer videos to DVD. The documentation (such as it is) which comes with the application has the step by step instructions.

Rick Lees
October 24th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Thank you for the books and the advice

Just one more thing

connecting via the component to a HD ready set is this the only way to connect them together? is it not possible to use the iLink out on the camera to connect them?