View Full Version : Matching EA50 with FS700?

David Banner
October 20th, 2015, 10:04 PM
Any of you guys that have or did have both cameras, how hard is it to match these two for 2 camera shoots (HD 1080 obviously)?

And while I'm asking is it easier to match an EA50U or EA50M to the FS700R?

Dmitri Zigany
October 21st, 2015, 06:33 PM
I had both at the same time for a little while... Think I only did one multicam shoot with them. There were some differences... But as the job wasn't super critical I got it close enough... I think the FS700 is more magenta. Between the A7S and the FS700 reds are what differs the most it seems...

Sorry for being vague but it's quite long ago now.

Chris Harding
October 21st, 2015, 07:09 PM
When I still had my EA-50's I was also using FS100 and FS700 picture profiles ...I think you might get a closer match if you grab a PP from any FS700 blog/site and apply those settings manually to the EA-50 and the result should be pretty close?

David Banner
October 21st, 2015, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys.
Sorry for the dumb question, but how do you grab an FS700 PP from a site? All I've done is select different PP in my EA50 but never loaded new ones? Is it just looking at all the values and manually changing them or actually loading a file into the camera like an update?

Chris Harding
October 23rd, 2015, 04:36 AM
Just google "FS100 profiles" and you will find them in simple text format. I have just manually entered the parameters into the EA-50 ...remember if you don't like it you can revert back to the factory profile the camera came with as it's in the firmware. People seldom use PP2 as it's a stills profile so maybe use that one??

David Banner
October 23rd, 2015, 08:12 AM
Thank you, Chris! Hope things are going well for you

Chris Harding
October 23rd, 2015, 07:11 PM
Thanks David

Yeah all is good but shooting with Panasonic now as I like the 4K resolution and amazing sharpness compared to my Sony's ...so much less post work for me and with a business the less hours you have to put in the more money you make!

Did you get a EA-50 M ???

David Banner
October 24th, 2015, 10:53 AM
I'm glad you are liking your Panasonics. I remember your discussion when you were looking to move away from the EA50. Which Panasonics did you get?

No. I didn't get an EA50M. Wish I had it instead of the U. I am trying to decide what camera to get to go with my EA50UH. Maybe an EA50M, A7S, or FS700R.
Since the price drop I'm wanting the FS700 to step up my game a bit and use the EA50 as B camera, but I am having to learn about all the extra equipment it takes to rig it and prep so I can use it.
I hope the new FS5 and FS7 will lead to discounts on the FS700 rigs and 7Q+ recorder as people move away from the old FS700.

Chris Harding
October 25th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Thanks David .. I just have two of the little Panny FZ1000 bridge cameras. They were a quarter of the price of the Sony's and twice as sharp ..plus they shoot 4K too. Dunno why, but I never liked the "look" of what came out of my EA-50's ...The cameras were a joy to use but the end result just never impressed me and I used to end up spending way too much time in post fighting with the image. I guess it's just a personal thing???

David Banner
October 27th, 2015, 12:30 PM
The Lumix DMC-FZ1000 DSLR type camera with the integrated zoom?
Those look pretty neat!
Certainly a lot less size and weight to deal with.
4K would sure be nice for re-framing wedding shots! I do the 1080-720 reframing on most of my weddings since they go to DVD anyway but 4K would really give a lot of room.

It's funny I have grown to like the Sony look on corporate stuff now. I still like the Panasonic look as well.
There's some sort of "smooth" look to the Sony EA50. I edited footage from a FS700 once and it had a similar look (that's why I am thinking they might match ok).

Really need to somehow find some time to go through the settings and dial them in with a monitor to get the most out of all my cameras. Just cannot seem to find the time! :)

I appreciate the help on this forum!

Chris Harding
October 28th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Hey David

If you like the Sony look then stick with it ..I had to cut in some EA-50 footage with my Panny footage today and it was a nightmare ...the Sony footage was shot on PP3 and was so soft .. I really struggled to match it so rather go the FS route to make your life a lot easier. You should be able to match either FS100 or FS700 to the 50 quite easily!!