View Full Version : 2 problems (noticed after 2 years :( )

Alan McCormick
October 19th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I have 2 problems that a fellow XM2 user/editor noticed when editing an XL1/XM2/XM2 3 Cam shoot that made us investigate more today.

1. My footage was way more yellow than the other 2 Cams albeit they were on the same White balance

2. My footage is rather blurry in certain shots.

I have used the XM2 exclusively with the W/A lens (WD-58) but we were able to conclusively take that out of the problem on yellowy footage in seconds just by removing the WA.
First of all I have not noticed probably purely by chance I have not used the same/ similar settings and types of framing etc.... my excuse anyway but so chuuffed to have this pointed out and resolved at the same time.

Test 1
Using 2 XM2's only we set-up the same shot, using the same settings (WB, Auto & Manual exposure) - inside shots on a bright day. Recorded 30 seconds to tape from each Cam. Captured and played back and yes mine was yellowish in comparison to the other footage.

Next Step 1

Tried to WB on white paper (both Cams but mine was still yellowish).
I reset all CP back to factory preset (only one or 2 places away from central) AND used manual White Balance on the divide of 2 walls one with white and one with magnolia (in the corner 1/2 & 1/2 if you know what I mean).
Reshot the same shot and recaptured, both shots nearly the same.

To Do 1 - I need loads more White Balance testing to get to the bottom of the problem but factory settings are good for shooting on the run (I think).

Test 2

Tried to frame & focus at full zoom on some writing on some speakers both with The Wide Angle Lens and without. Tried Auto focus and Manual focus.
Recorded to tape and captured for review.

Next Step 2

It was very plain to see that the XM2 with WA at full zoom both a) could not get a good focus in AutoF or ManualF and b) the colours were different on the footage too (surprisingly - to me).

To Do 2

I will be removing my WA lens if I ever do any filming "INSIDE" where I will need to use full zoom. I have to complerte more tests to confirm the point of degradation of the focus. btw - Outside I cannot see any degradation at all so I suspect it is a lack of light problem.

Back to testing over the next few days...

I am sure Grazie is going to say "in 2002 I told you so....." only joking Grazie, I welcome your comments as always.

Graham Bernard
October 19th, 2005, 09:53 AM
You got any Presets engaged/running?

Alan McCormick
October 24th, 2005, 09:16 AM
You got any Presets engaged/running?

sorry been away..

I have reset presets back to factory but the CP was not selected anyway.