View Full Version : What CF Card XF300 ?

Trevor Dennis
November 3rd, 2015, 01:53 AM
I searched the forum, but the most recent relevant post I found was well over a year old, and Compact Flash cards seem to be an ever evolving area nowadays. So I would appreciate any feedback regards:

Maximum card size I can use with my XF300? Canon sites I've looked at mention 64Gb, but I found a reference for a 128Gb card for an XF series camera.

I just checked and my firmware version is 1.0.4.0 and another check shows 1.0.7.0 — I'll update of course, but I am wondering if the firmware version affects CF card size?

The manual just says UDMA4 or better, which is way out of date as far as I can see. Other than better transfer speeds in my card reader, and advantages with a UDMA7 card?

I am in New Zealand, and will use TradeMe (our version of eBay) to source the card, and the prices are all over the place. Sandisk Extreme 64Gb 120Mb/s @ NZ$280 to a Lexar Professional 64Gb 1066x @ NZ$200. Hmmm, I've only just realized that there are two different ways of stating the speed.

So any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Incidentally I feel like a bit naff suddenly panicking over this, but it comes down to an acident I had on Sunday while walking backwards carrying two cameras. I fell flat on my back with a 1DMK4 with new 100-400mm MK2 hanging from a BR harness, while using my 1DsMK3. The result was a brused and battered body, and broken 1DMK4. That left me short of a body for a two day event this coming weekend, so I have convinced the organisers to let me pass on the stills to a buddy (who has just won National Geographic Young Photographer of the Year) and for me to just do video. I've always wanted to video this event, but have never had the chance before because of my stills commitments. So now I have just ordered a new BP-975, and I'm topping up my memory card collection.

The weird thing is that despite being without the 1D4 for however long it takes to fix it, and the price of the repair, together with being damn sore from the fall, and am strangely excited about the excuse to do the video. It's funny old world. :-)

Trevor Dennis
November 3rd, 2015, 02:42 AM
OK, I have answered one of the questions after updating the firmware to 1.0.7.0 The notes for the new firmware mentioning card sizes _over_ 128Gb. I might stick to 64Gb and FAT32

Looking at the details for other changes since 1.0.4.0 I notice the XLR polarity change. Is this going to impact on my NGT2 and Sennheiser G2 ?

Steven Davis
November 3rd, 2015, 06:27 PM
I've used these for almost two years, Lexar 32GB Professional 1066x CompactFlash LCF32GCRBNA1066 B&H

I went with the 32 gb so I would split my project(s) over more than one card so I wouldn't lose too much if a card ever failed. But I haven't had any issues with these cards.

Bob Safay
November 4th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Trevor, I have been using SanDisk Extreme 32 GB 60 MB/s since the time I first bought my Canon XF300. I have used them every where from Alaska to the Pantanal in Brazil and I have never lost any footage. Bob

Trevor Dennis
November 7th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks Bob and Steven. I ended up with a Sandisk Extreme 64Gb 120Mb/s card. I was actually a little bit concerned because it was easily the cheapest of its kind on the auction site, but it works well on the camera, and uploaded via my USB3 card reader at 85Mb/s. That is far and away the fastest card I now own!

After looking at batteries, and finding that the cut price dealers with NZ web sites were actually based in the Netherlands, I bit the bullet and bought a genuine Canon BP-975, and I am glad I did. It is too useful having the power remaining indicated in the viewfinder, and I was getting through a full day with just the one battery.