View Full Version : Camcorder for shooting night soccer under lights?

Alan Henderson
November 22nd, 2015, 11:26 AM
I currently have a TM700. I have not shot soccer on a lighted field, but will beginning in January. With that said, I do not know what to expect from my TM700. I do know that I would like a camcorder where I can change the shutter speed and the camera handles the rest of the exposure. The TM700 does not do that. The x920 does offer that. During daytime shooting, a shutter speed of 1/120 seems to be working fine in 1920 60p. Right now, I'm adjusting the iris as needed.

From what I have researched so far, the CMOS sensors seem to be the best at low light but have more of an issue with rolling shutter. Since I do a lot of fast panning when shooting soccer, not sure if changing the shutter speed from 1/60 to 1/120 will improve rolling shutter, if I were using a camera like a Canon or Sony with a CMOS sensor.

As spring approaches, in a soccer game I will go from shooting a sunlit field to shooting under lights.

In short, I am at a loss in determining what 'new' camera I might actually need, if in fact I need one at all.

My budget is ~$1500.

Alan

Alan Henderson
November 23rd, 2015, 06:06 PM
There was a last minute change this weekend and one of the club teams had a night game. The lighting was worse that the HS fields. Maxed the settings out and the video was actually very good.