View Full Version : software update

Ross Hunter
November 28th, 2015, 09:24 AM
I saw there's a software update for the NX3. It looks like it adds recording/playback/output in XAVC S HD format at 50mbs.

Anyone here updated? What's your experience?

Mikel Arturo
November 28th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Yes, there is a new Software: HXR-NX3 : Binary Package V2.00

NEW FEATURES
1.) Recording/playback/output in XAVC S HD format.
2.) HDMI REC CONTROL
3.) Operation stability improvement

Ross Hunter
December 5th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Here's a link for the NX3 software update. Software: HXR-NX3 : Binary Package V2.00 (Win + Mac) : Software/Drivers : Bulgaria : Sony Professional (http://www.sony.bg/pro/support/software/SET_BPE-SS-1177/20)

Eric Darling
December 7th, 2015, 11:17 PM
I did the update yesterday, and it went well. You have to update without a card in the camera, which is something not immediately obvious in the instructions. You also can't update when powering from a battery - you must have the camera connected to AC power.

I just shot a few quick test shots in the new codec today. It's significantly better at capturing detail, as I would expect. I am not using an external recorder, so I don't much care about the HDMI trigger function, although it's nice to know it's there now.

Oh, and one more thing... You apparently can't shoot S&Q in the new codec... Bummer.

Ross Hunter
December 8th, 2015, 04:18 PM
I found this step-by-step instruction page very helpful and more complete than the instructions with the app.
https://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/micro/nxcam/downloads/HXR-NX3_Update200_manual_e.pdf

Mark Owens
December 12th, 2015, 09:57 PM
I have just update my firmware as well to version 2 the main thing i noticed i was recording in AVCHD and getting 352 minutes on a 64gig card did the update and now shows 151 minutes per card, tried getting onto Sony site to find out file recording size but link does not open just sits there got no problem with recording times just keep changing cards just curious on all specifications on changes after update.

Eric Darling
December 12th, 2015, 10:32 PM
The XAVC S codec records at 50 Mb (Megabits)/sec. The FX quality AVCHD codec records at 24 Mb/sec. So, it's just slightly more than twice the bitrate, and so that's borne out in the number of available minutes showing on your media.

Mark Owens
December 13th, 2015, 01:41 AM
Hi Eric, with the latest update do you know if the NX3 support SD cards over 64gig I was thinking of purchasing some 128gig cards if comparable.

Eric Darling
December 13th, 2015, 10:24 AM
I'm using two 128 GB SDXC cards in the camera, so yes. :)

Mark Owens
December 14th, 2015, 03:32 AM
Thanks Eric for that information just ordered 2 x SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC from B and H today it is cheaper for me to purchase from them even with Aussie dollar and PayPal charges I get only 70c in the dollar at the moment total cost $175AU for both cards including freight from America, to buy here in Australia $220 each plus $15 freight for exactly the same items total $455.00 ridiculous mark-up

Denis Torres
July 27th, 2017, 09:34 AM
The XAVC S codec records at 50 Mb (Megabits)/sec. The FX quality AVCHD codec records at 24 Mb/sec. So, it's just slightly more than twice the bitrate, and so that's borne out in the number of available minutes showing on your media.

Do we know if it is 10 bit 4:2:2 @ 50mb or 8 bit 4:2:0 @ 50mb. If the former I will upgrade and keep the cam. On that same quality note, can I get some input on the 3 1/3 sensors in the NX3, NX5R and PXW 160/180? They all seem to have the same overall specs but I would have to think the PXW cams have upgraded sensors. Anybody have the breakdown on the aforementioned camcorders and their respective sensor quality?

Eric Darling
July 27th, 2017, 12:32 PM
The camera is always 8-bit. The HDMI output is uncompressed 4:2:2 8-bit. The internal codecs are always 4:2:0 8-bit.

Tom Van den Berghe
January 13th, 2018, 10:36 AM
I always use the sony content management utility (version 2.1.00.05171) to import my footage from this camcorder. With AVCHD this was no problem but the XAVC S footage is not recognized?

How can I fix this?

Eric Darling
January 13th, 2018, 11:28 AM
With the file structure in XAVC S, you don't need to bridge any clips - everything is together in a single MP4 file from when you hit start to when you hit stop. So, just use the raw files, and you'll be fine.

Tom Van den Berghe
January 14th, 2018, 10:22 AM
but the software doesn't recognize the XAVC S format? It doesn't show anything from my SD card.

Eric Darling
January 14th, 2018, 10:39 AM
I'd be surprised if it does. The software predates that format. They don't update it, because people don't need it anymore.

Tom Van den Berghe
January 15th, 2018, 12:23 PM
if I understand correctly is that sony content management utily doesn't support the XAVC S codec to import.

Now I have downloaded a trial (30 days) from sony content browser verson 2.4.1

When richt clicking on a filder I choose import and I have choosen a XAVC S file (copied this before with copy past in window to pc) but when I try that I get "failed to import the clip"

On my Sd card I recorded some original XAVC S footage but I can't import this? I can't select import when right clicking this.

So how can I import XAVC S footage so I can edit this in sony vegas pro 13?

Eric Darling
January 15th, 2018, 10:30 PM
Vegas Pro is on version 15. Perhaps you just need to upgrade? I don't use Vegas, so I couldn't tell you, but there seems to be a fair bit of chatter about this issue on Google - check around.

Tom Van den Berghe
January 16th, 2018, 01:28 PM
After long searching I have found sony catalyst browse which recognizes my XAVC S footage.
I can transcode to AVC/AAC (MP4), XAVC intra, XAVC long, XAVC S , XDCAM.

I also updated my graphic card + drivers because every first time I start vegas and go to full screen it crashes.

But now the strange thing is: the original XAVC S files are recognized by sony veas pro!!

I don't know if the graphics card update can solved this problem??

Eric Darling
January 16th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Doubtful... What probably happened was that when you installed the new version of Catalyst Browse, it installed the newer codec, which is now available to Vegas. In any case, good news!

Tom Van den Berghe
January 16th, 2018, 02:03 PM
just closed my vegas and restarted it for testing (not pc restart). The XAVC S files are now NOT recognized. Dam, I'm lost now. what's causing this?

Tom Van den Berghe
January 28th, 2018, 06:39 AM
upgraded to vegas pro 15 and the XAVC s is no problem more:)

But which is the best export setting I choose in sony catalyst browse?
I choose the XAVC S 1920x1080 50p 50 Mbps.

The original footage was about 30min and it took about 1 hour to export this file! (also choose the optimize expoding speed)

Or is this normal?

Tom Van den Berghe
January 28th, 2018, 01:07 PM
oh wait. It seems that sony vegas15 recognize the footage in 1 piece. With AVCHD the footage was cutted in pieces for every 20 minutes. This seems not the point with the XAVC S (mp4) codec.