View Full Version : 5D4 Wish List

Jon Fairhurst
February 1st, 2016, 01:17 PM
The interval between the announcement of the 5D2 (17-Sep-2008) and 5D3 (2-Mar-2012) was 3 years, 6 months. As of tomorrow it will be 3 years, 11 months since the announcement of the 5D3.

Chris doesn't like rumor sites, so let's not go there. Let's consider our wishes, at least the realistic ones.

Photos

* Improved sensitivity
* Roughly the same pixel count
* Improved frame rate
* Improved autofocus with more points
* Wi-Fi connectivity, plus an app that lets you get stuff into your phone. (It's always bothered me that with a nice DSLR in my hand, if I want to shoot a quick photo and immediately tweet it, I need to use my phone.)

Video
* Improved resolution without increased aliasing. (Even Canon execs have publicly lamented the softness of the image required by their anti-aliasing solution.)
* Improved sensitivity.
* Reduced rolling shutter.
* Deeper bit depth recording option to support HDR video.
* 4K? It would be nice, but it's not likely. Maybe at 24/25 fps only. Maybe windowed only. We will see...
* 60fps @ 1080p; 120 fps @ 720p.
* Advanced auto focus.
* Better video metering and focus tools. It's about time that Canon catches up with Magic Lantern in 2010.
* Wi-Fi? This is less important for video that photos. I might want to tweet/instagram/facebook a photo with friends in the moment, but I don't do vines. Video editing and sound are as important to me as the pictures.
* Accelerometers for fast, optimized stabilization in post (or even in-camera). Yeah, this is a long shot, but could be killer. By far the biggest pain point for DSLR shooting is stabilization. With full-frame, stabilizing within a crop window could be sweet. Then again, this would threaten IS lens sales and would one-up their Cinema-EOS line, so this is highly unlikely.

Anything else that people would like to (and would expect to) see in the 5D4?

Regarding timing, let's leave that to the rumor sites, though with my daughter expecting in September, I would hope that I can upgrade by then. Nothing like a new camera for taking baby pictures - and I'm sure that she would make good use of the 5D2. :)

Rob Cantwell
February 1st, 2016, 02:14 PM
all the above and I'd like to see an onboard app with camera tools such as Dof calculator etc.

Jon Fairhurst
February 1st, 2016, 05:04 PM
Re-summarizing my list above, in addition to typical evolutionary improvements, the new stuff I'd most like (and expect) are:

1) Better resolution/anti-aliasing for video
2) Higher frame rates
3) Advanced autofocus
4) Wi-Fi for photos,
5) Video tools (This is less likely, given Canon's history.)

And given that we're highly unlikely to see accelerometer metadata recording for stabilization, every millisecond of better rolling shutter performance is highly appreciated.

More bits in the codec might also be unlikely, but sure is nice to have in post. If I expected it, I'd insert it as the new #2 in my list above. And by bits I mean both bit depth (10 or 12 vs 8) and mpbs.

Jon Fairhurst
February 2nd, 2016, 02:31 PM
Looking at the 1DX2...
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/531066-official-canon-website-release-eos-1dx2.html

Built-in Wi-Fi is unlikely as it's an add-on module for the 1DX2 that will cost hundreds of dollars. C'mon. A $30 ChromeCast dongle has built-in Wi-Fi these days. I don't need blazing fast Wi-Fi, but it would be nice to be able to tweet a small DSLR photo in the moment. I think that Canon (and many high end photographers) doesn't see this a "pro" activity. That said, many professionals are on social media and promoting one's self in the moment is certainly a "pro" activity for this group.

The 1DX2 does true 4K at 60 fps. The 5D4 doing UHD at 24/25 seems reasonable. Same with 1080@60 and 720@120.

In fact, windowed 4K appears to be Canon's solution for crisp, anti-aliased video. You don't need any in-camera processing; you just need to be able to move and record the data fast enough. We will see what the camera does in HD mode. My guess is that it would use a similar anti-aliasing process as the 5D3 and only be slightly sharper, if any sharper at all. No worries as windowed 4K offers true, optical anti-aliasing. If you want crisp HD video, shoot 4K and let the computer down res it with heavy brickwall filters in post.

Dual Pixel AF looks to be an across-the-board feature. I think Canon sees this as the "killer app" for video - especially because it can sell new lenses.

Regarding "more bits", given that the 1DX2 doesn't have it, we can't really expect it for the 5D4. No surprise there. Motion JPEG @8-bits appears to be Canon's 4K solution. (FWIW, when you down res UHD to HD, you are doing a 4:1 data reduction. This effectively gives you 10-bit HD from 8-bit UHD, if you process it at higher bit depths.)

Of course, predicting the 5D4 at all is just conjecture. (Might it be the "5DX"?) We will see...

Seth Bloombaum
February 2nd, 2016, 06:30 PM
...Dual Pixel AF looks to be an across-the-board feature. I think Canon sees this as the "killer app" for video - especially because it can sell new lenses...
I hope Canon does phase in DPAF across everything, with Face Detection!

Speaking as an official Olde Fardt, who has sneered down his nose at AF anything for over 30 years, I am so amazed that with DPAF Canon has made something that's truly useful to many pros. And, even better with a touch screen! (which doesn't seem to be coming to every new camera...)

Vishal Jadhav
February 3rd, 2016, 08:20 AM
SInce the 7D MII and the iDx II has the new sensor technology the 5D MIV coming with a better sensor than now is a given thing, if it doesnt cant get anyone to buy it.
1DX and 5D MIII had similar video capabilities so considering the simlar video capabilities in the new 5D might be a good thing.
With Nikon and Sony making the 4K available to everyone, 5D new without 4 k might be a loss to canon.

i have loved the 5D II and 5D III and used these cameras with great love till date, (eventhough the current camera to do video is GH4 ;) )

My wish from new 5D is 4k 60p a cfast card slot, improved sensor , some video features like zebra and focus peaking , not sure why magic lantern can do it years back and Canon engineers still need so long .

Since the Canon 80D is doing rounds and hinting at 28 or 29 mp sensor i am not sure if new 5D will maintain same sensor MP as before.

Call it Day dreaming :)

Jon Fairhurst
February 3rd, 2016, 01:29 PM
Yeah, the GH4 and a7S II have put the 5D on the back foot.

Nice point about the 1DX and 5D3 having similar video capabilities. That gives me hope for the 5D4 not being left behind.

On CFast, that's a tough decision. 1D buyers will pay for CFast, but will the prospect of replacing media hurt 5D4 sales? I'm not sure. If Canon were Apple, they'd go for it as Apple drops old tech quickly. With Canon, I can't predict one way or the other.

I can see Canon giving better exposure monitoring, but regarding focus peaking, they might figure that DPAF is their prime focus tool.

Regarding resolution, Canon already introduced the 5DS and 5DS R for pixel peepers. My feeling is that they will focus on speed and low noise above resolution with the 5D4. That would be in line with current strategy as well as the a7S and a7R approach from Sony. Some want top performance, others want top resolution, and you can't get both from a single model. So I predict that the 5D4 gets a 20-ish MP sensor and down the road the 5DS2 will be the new high resolution model.

Again, this is all conjecture. I have no inside information here.

Here's a thought experiment... Lets say you want UHD (2160p) in an ASP-C window of a 3:2 full frame sensor. Here's how it works out:

Video width: 3,840 (ASP-C)
Photo width: 3,840 * 1.6 = 6,144 (Full Frame)
Photo height: 6,144 * (2/3) = 4,096 (Full Frame)
Resolution: 6,144 * 4,096 = 25.2 MP

FWIW, the current 5D3 resolution is 22.3 MP (5,784 x 3,861). A step up to 25.2 MP seems reasonable.

Then again, there is no magic requirement that a 4K window be APS-C at a precise 1/1.6 factor. But it would be nice for APS-C lenses to be used, especially when you want a wide angle solution.

We will see!

Vishal Jadhav
February 3rd, 2016, 11:17 PM
Jon,
Good point made

I see that the Nikon or the sony folks giving sensor crop mode which really helps when shooting video as it avoids downsizing each time frame from the 22 mp to the 8 odd mp required . Canon had a nice feature in a camera called the T3i (i still have it) and then they simply abandoned it , so surely they have the technology and its old but there seems to be a reluctance to implement it again, the downsizing of each frame reduces the processing time for each video in camera.
I am very hopeful of the new 5D next what ever they call it in their ever swanky way.

Ger Griffin
February 5th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Most people (inlcuding myself) have jumped ship now from Canon. They were left back at the start line. Too slow out of the traps. Unless the specs are as good as the A7sII who in their sane mind would buy one for video?

Jon Fairhurst
February 7th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Good point about needing to compete with the a7S ii. Assuming that the specs are in the same ballpark, some might choose Canon for lens compatibility without the need for an adapter.

FWIW, I once had a metabones adapter fall apart after wheeling a dolly around with camera and lens mounted. The screws are tiny and stripped. We were lucky not have the lens crash to the ground.

Of course, we shouldn't condemn or praise the 5D4 until it's announced. It might surprise us - for better or worse.

Ger Griffin
February 8th, 2016, 07:32 PM
To be honest Jon (and I know I'm contradicting myself here) I miss the way Canon cameras renders the colours. I believe the a7s2 has improved over the a7s but Im stuck with two a7s for the moment. My eyes have now adjusted to make what the a7s produces seem normal but initially I was pretty dissapointed and considered going back to canon straight away at the time. I played with picture profiles etc. to try and chase that canon quality but to no avail. But the clarity in the image is what kept me with the a7s. The sharpness and detail felt close to RAW from the Canons and the sensitivity of the sensor is a revelation. Now that premiere pro cc has greatly improved for color correction the colors problem is not so bad. But I always know the sony colors when i look at a video online. Theres a look thats just not 'wow' that no amount of grading seems to be able to get rid of.
If and its a big if, the 5d4 blows us away with 4k and the legendary canon colors along with a good screen and useful video tools I would consider it.

Jon Fairhurst
February 9th, 2016, 11:32 AM
I see the same. I've rented the Sony FS700, which is a fantastic camera for HD Slo-mo, but the look is slightly blue and the texture slightly harsh. Trying to grade it is like EQ'ing a so-so microphone - you can make big changes, but you can't easily make the subtleties great.

For some recent pieces, we used the FS700 for b-roll. High-speed recording was great as we only had so much eye candy and slow motion playback lets us milk it for all it's got. But for the interviews we used the 5D Mark II with Mosaic Engineering anti-aliasing filter. The AA filter removes the harshness of older DSLRs and gives the image an analog, liquid smoothness compared to the visible softness of the 5D3 digital AA solution. This smoothness and nice coloring is very attractive for near closeup interviews.

As always, there's no one winner. There's the best tool for a given budget and a given purpose. With Canon colors, windowed 4K, and slo-motion HD - plus touchscreen autofocus, the 5D4 would cover more of those purposes.

And I've got to say that I still really like the versatility of a V-DSLR. Lately, I do more photos than video, so it's great to cover both functions with a single purchase.

Ger Griffin
February 9th, 2016, 05:29 PM
Its all weddings I do Jon so the form factor suits me. I like when guests say to the B&G that they didnt even see a videoman at the wedding. So for me its a VDSLR form factor for life and yes when its time to upgrade its the most enticing model at that time I would go for.
Yes I know that blue cast you refer to. And funnily when you try to warm it it goes in the direction of yellow which just doesnt look right either.
That sounds really nice how you seem to be getting an organic smoothness from the 5d2.
Aren't we getting very fussy these days :) Imagine how happy we would have been 10 years ago with the cameras we have now...

Jon Fairhurst
February 10th, 2016, 02:03 PM
...Imagine how happy we would have been 10 years ago with the cameras we have now...

That's why I still haven't upgraded. At a certain point it's more about time, energy, inspiration, etc than about the tools.

Of course, if I was hired to create 4K documentary footage, I'd have upgraded some time ago.

Christopher Young
February 10th, 2016, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=Jon Fairhurst;1908106]
* Improved sensitivity
* Roughly the same pixel count
* Improved frame rate
* Improved autofocus with more points
* Wi-Fi connectivity, plus an app that lets you get stuff into your phone. (It's always bothered me that with a nice DSLR in my hand, if I want to shoot a quick photo and immediately tweet it, I need to use my phone.)

Video
* Improved resolution without increased aliasing. (Even Canon execs have publicly lamented the softness of the image required by their anti-aliasing solution.)
* Improved sensitivity.
* Reduced rolling shutter.
* Deeper bit depth recording option to support HDR video.
* 4K? It would be nice, but it's not likely. Maybe at 24/25 fps only. Maybe windowed only. We will see...
* 60fps @ 1080p; 120 fps @ 720p.
* Advanced auto focus.
* Better video metering and focus tools. It's about time that Canon catches up with Magic Lantern in 2010/QUOTE]

This wished for spec would compete against the new 1D X so I highly doubt the 5D IV, should it ever eventuate, would ever aspire to these sorts of specs so I'm not holding my breath. Would be lovely but I fear anything in the Canon DSLR line is not going to offer much in the way of video enhancements. As Canon have stated if you want full video spec go see the Cinema 'C' series lineup. Or buy a 1D X... and then deal with 800Mbps 8-bit MJPEG with baked in color. No C-LOG even!!??

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Jon Fairhurst
February 11th, 2016, 04:22 PM
That's the rub, isn't it?

If the 5D4 does too much, it cannibalizes 1DX2 or EOS-C. If it does too little, the competitors leave it in the dust.

I predict the key difference between the 5D4 and 1DX2 as frame rates. The 1DX2 does 4K@60 and FHD@120. That leaves room for the 5D4 to do 4K@30, FHD@60, and HD(720p)@120.

And yes, the back-end codec always seems to be a differenttiator, doesn't it?

Personally, I think Canon shouldn't worry about 5D4 video feature stealing 1DX2 sales. (Disclaimer: the following is far from black and white. Lots of crossover here...) Pro photographers buy the 1D series. Prosumer photographers go for the 5D series. Video pros go for the C series. If the 5D video isn't good enough, I'm simply not going to pay for a 1DX2. I'm either keeping my older 5D2 for photos and getting a C100 MkII, or I'm jumping ship for a competitor's V-DSLR.

I perceive the 1DX2 as the #1 premium photo camera, and I don't seem myself paying for that luxury. For that money, I want C-series video features, and the 1DX2 doesn't quite offer that. (Like you say, no C-Log.) For that money, I don't want video compromises. On the other hand, if I can get very good photo and video quality for under 3K, I can live with DSLR video workarounds.

I hope we don't have to wait too long to learn the answers.

Jon Fairhurst
February 11th, 2016, 04:43 PM
For fun, I looked at the timing of various Canon DSLR announcements:

August 2005 - 1D2 & 5D
May 2007 - 1D3
Sept 2008 - 5D2
Sept 2009 - 7D
Oct 2009 - 1D4
Oct 2011 - 1DX
March 2012 - 5D3
April 2012 - 1DC
Sept 2012 - 6D
Sept 2014 - 7D2
Feb 2015 - 5DS & 5DS R
Feb 2016 - 1DX2

Reading between the lines, it looks like the 1D and 5D are sometimes announced at nearly the same time. This implies either separate teams or simultaneous development. The bottom line is that their announcements aren't necessarily staggered. The 5D, 6D, and 7D, on the other hand, tend to be staggered by a year or so. It's been a year since the 5DS was released.

Anyway, there's nothing that implies that a 5D4 wouldn't be released soon - unless Canon sees the 5D as a high resolution camera. In that case, the 5DS is still fresh and the next video DSLR might be the 6D2. Note that the 6D is 3-1/2 years old.

Personally, I have no doubt that there's room for a ~$3,000 high sensitivity, ~25MP, full frame VDSLR. The 6D like looks to be the budget full frame camera in the ~$1,500 range. I expect that we will get both with the 5D4 delivering 4K@30 and the 6D2 delivering MP4 FHD@30.

Again, this is just conjecture. I have no inside information. DVInfo is not a rumor site! :)

Ger Griffin
February 11th, 2016, 06:00 PM
I think the 5d at each time was quite close to whatever the flagship was at the time in terms of specs (please correct me if Im wrong).
Obviously performance of the flagship was slightly quicker but I think mainly the difference was ruggedness, shutter life and the various components it requires to make a camera survive the onslaught the media guys would inflict on a camera.

Ger Griffin
February 11th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Jon Im guilty of not reading your previous posts. It was more a reply to Christopher.
Good points made.

Jon Fairhurst
February 12th, 2016, 02:00 PM
In any case, good point about the rugged build of the 1D line. Extended battery life is the other pro feature that most amateurs don't need.

Jon Fairhurst
February 18th, 2016, 11:25 AM
So... Canon announced the 80D camera. This gives some clues as to what we might see with the 5D4 (or 5DX or whatever.)

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/531192-canon-eos-80d-power-zoom-adapter-more-videographers.html

For reference, the 80D is a $1,200, crop camera that is positioned below the 7D2 crop cam. This pretty much sets a floor below any new $2,500 - $3,000 full frame camera, given that the 5D2 started the VDSLR revolution. (Well, the Nikon D90 was first, but lacked the 5D2's quality.) Let's see how things might match up:

* Sensor size: 80D: 24.2MP. That's in the 25MP ballpark that would allow the 5D4 to shoot native, crop 4K.

* Video: 80D: 1080p60. That's in line with my 5D4 HD guess. Given today's market, I can't see the 5D4 adding anything less than 2160@24/25 (probably UHD@30.)

* HDR: The 80D has HDR movie mode. Not sure if this is a gimmick. If the 5D4 supports SMPTE ST-2084 recording and HDMI output, that would be killer.

* Time Lapse: The 80D has it. It would be great if the 5D4 has it too. Using an external intervalometer is cumbersome at best.

* Autofocus: The 80D has DPAF and touch screen. This is clearly Canon's across-the-board strategic technology. It looks like pretty much all Canon video cameras above a certain line will get this.

* Wi-Fi: The 80D has built-in Wi-FiŽ2 and NFCTM2 for transferring photos to mobile devices. I hope that the 5D4 planners didn't take the "pros are snobs who don't use social media" attitude. Being able to shoot a photo or video and immediately review it on an iPad Pro would be killer. You'd really know if you nailed focus.

* Video Tools: Some unexpected goodies on the 80D include a new, electronic zoom lens controller and a shoe-mount mic. It has anti-flicker for fluorescent lights (also on the 7D2), though I don't know if that's for photos-only or video too. No word on other video tools, like zebras and such, but clearly Canon is taking video seriously in its new, consumer DSLRs.

So, assuming the above plus the always-expected sensitivity improvement, does such a 5D claw back some VDSLR market share? To me, it would gain parity (at least), plus the Canon brand and direct compatibility with all those lenses. If it gets 10-bit, ST-2084 HDR recording and HDMI output, it would leapfrog to the front of the line.

Jon Fairhurst
February 18th, 2016, 11:37 AM
One feature difference between the 80D and the current 5D line is that the 80D has a flip-screen.

Yeah, there are times that this would be more convenient than attaching a monitor. That said, I expect that the 5D4/X/whatever would keep its fixed screen for ruggedness as does the 1DX2. I think Canon is right in thinking that consumers want convenience while pros do too, but not at the expense of reliability and robustness.

Jon Fairhurst
August 3rd, 2016, 10:35 AM
It looks like Canon is preparing to announce the 5D4 (or whatever it will be called.) Canon has announced an event starting on August 27th in Japan called "Five Graphy"

Here's a human-improved (I hope), machine translation from the Japanese website:

The release of model after model of the "5D" has delivered new shooting capabilities worldwide that could not have been imagined during the era of the film camera. A large photo exhibition will present its culmination.

Thirteen "5D" photographers from around the world will exhibit works at nine galleries in Ginza Umeda. In addition, 16 photographers will present special seminars.

Please feel the expressive power that has driven the era of the "5D".

?????FIVEGRAPHY??????????? (http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/info/fivegraphy/index.html)

Rumor sites predict that the next 5D will be announced a day or so before the event. Rumors aside, the Five Graphy event is a concrete announcement from Canon.

Buba Kastorski
August 3rd, 2016, 12:24 PM
5graphy, wow,
does this mean new 5D will shoot 5K? :))
Raw? :))
in my dreams :)

Jon Fairhurst
August 3rd, 2016, 01:14 PM
Maybe it will be the 5D Mark "5graphy"

I just realized something: In Japanese, 5 is pronounced "Go". So this event celebrates the "Go D." In other words, it's the god of cameras. ;)

Jon Fairhurst
August 17th, 2016, 03:37 PM
The rumor sites now claim that the 5D4 sensor will have 30.4 megapixels. Is this true? I have no idea. Don't trust rumors.

That said, it's fun to run the numbers. So... what *if* it's a 36mm x 24mm full frame sensor with 30.4MP? That would mean 6753 x 4502 photo sites or so with 187.6 photo sites per mm.

Now let's assume that there is a 4K window for capturing 4K video.Let's assume true cinema 4K of 4096x2160 (rather than 3840x2160 UHD.) That would cover 21.8mm x 11.5mm. That's a bit smaller than ASP-C (22.5 x 15) or Super 35 (24 x 12.65 for the 4K 1.896:1 aspect ratio.)

But it's not far off either. 21.8mm x 11.5mm gives slightly less vignetting, a slightly larger circle of confusion, and a slightly tighter shot for the same lens compared to a true cinema camera. But unless you see images from two cameras with the same exact lens side by side, you'd never know the difference.

Anyway, at 30.4MP, windowed 4K is viable. I assume this solution, given that Canon wasn't happy with the soft images from the 5D3 filters, 4K is trendy, windowed 4K is in the 1DX Mark II, and windowed 4K is the easiest way to get sharp video without additional aliasing from a full frame sensor.

So it's viable. But 30.4MP it's still a rumor. We will know more in a month or so.

Chris Hurd
August 24th, 2016, 09:42 PM
It's official: Canon USA reveals EOS 5D Mk. IV with 4K, new L-Series Lenses at DV Info Net (http://www.dvinfo.net/news/canon-usa-reveals-eos-5d-mk-iv-with-4k-new-l-series-lenses.html) (full press release & photos)

Please continue the discussion at this link: Canon USA reveals EOS 5D Mk. IV with 4K, new L-Series Lenses forum discussion (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/532570-canon-usa-reveals-eos-5d-mk-iv-4k-new-l-series-lenses.html)

Thanks all,