View Full Version : Sony A6300 is announced!! 4K internal! S-log3!! 1080 120fps! Weather sealed!

David Peterson
February 3rd, 2016, 10:33 AM
At loooooong last the very long awaited Sony A6300 has been announced (along with 3 sweet sweet lenses, that Sony E mount desperately needs).

These specs in particular are juicy:

new 24MP BSI sensor (yay, BSI!)
11fps
4D focus
4K 30fps video (no pixel binning 14 stops dynamic range, 100MPS)
S-Gamut3.Cine/S-Log-3 and S-Gamut3/S-Log3 profiles
1080p120 slow motion
Under US$1k (I think this price is quite reasonable compared to what a GH4 or NX1 was when first released. Yes, I'd like it to be less! So I can wait, once a sale arrives or it shows up secondhand/refurbished that should shave off a few hundred dollars fo rme)
Weather sealed body
422 over HDMI
Switchable NTSC/PAL (phew!! Thank goodness for that)
14bit photos
Mic jack input.

Sony a6300 Alpha Mirrorless Digital Camera ILCE6300/B B&H Photo

I no longer want a Sony A7s mk1 secondhand (which is a similar, or greater, price), I think I'll hold out on seeing this A6300 go on sale instead! :-D

John C. Chu
February 3rd, 2016, 12:35 PM
I'm blown away by the quality of this. The price point is right and use of my current lenses without the huge 2X crop factor on micro 4/3 cameras. So tempting.

α6300 -Ultimate resolution 4K movie in Super 35mm | α | Sony - YouTube

Darren Levine
February 3rd, 2016, 01:02 PM
(Darren's wallet trembles in fear)

David Peterson
February 3rd, 2016, 01:25 PM
I'm blown away by the quality of this. The price point is right and use of my current lenses without the huge 2X crop factor on micro 4/3 cameras. So tempting.

Just use focal reducers and you get APS-C / Super 35 field of view with your m4/3 cameras :)

I use a RJ Lens Turbo:
RJ Lens Turbo m43 adapters - Personal View Talks (http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9086/rj-lens-turbo-m43-adapters/p1)

Darren Levine
February 3rd, 2016, 01:27 PM
but sony's mount has been much better at playing nice with canon lenses than with m43. so for those of us with canon glass, the sony is really a win wint

John C. Chu
February 3rd, 2016, 02:19 PM
Just use focal reducers and you get APS-C / Super 35 field of view with your m4/3 cameras :)

I use a RJ Lens Turbo:
RJ Lens Turbo m43 adapters - Personal View Talks (http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9086/rj-lens-turbo-m43-adapters/p1)

Still, I can imagine a focal reducer for this new Sony will give "full frame" coverage with my Nikkor vintage glass. ;)

Exciting times! I love my Panasonic compact LX100 and was dreaming of my next toy– I mean tool that I would want, (G7, GH4) and then I saw what the Sony A7s II did. This camera seems like a reasonable option.

Robert Benda
February 3rd, 2016, 03:05 PM
[sitting with jaw hanging open]

I'm pretty sure the only thing I could ask for more is the touch screen focusing.

Simon Denny
February 3rd, 2016, 04:10 PM
I was just about to purchase the A6000, might get this instead.

Looks like the Aussie price is a bit steep, this is unconfirmed.
Body only: AU$1,400 and AU$1,615 respectively

Now I think at that price I'll stick with the A6000.

Sverrir Fridriksson
February 5th, 2016, 08:20 AM
I have been looking into getting a new video camera, was kind of decided on not getting one of these for video shooting (I have a 5r and have been thinking of the a7s) but now I kind of want to hold off a bit and see what this little thing can do.

4K is not really a big deal for me and I'm not really ready for that kind of increase in storage, but it seems like the videos from this camera could be quite special.

The inevitable low light tests will seal or break the deal for me.

A little more wait then. Can't hurt.

Cliff Totten
February 10th, 2016, 07:05 PM
The forced 2x sensor crop in UHD 30p is a depressing thing. Every other feature is great.

Peter Rush
February 11th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Would be a good 'locked-off' camera to compliment my A7s for church services but still 29 minute clip limit - sigh!

James Manford
February 11th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Exciting news but I was expecting Sony to do this ...

One thing i've learnt is not to get too excited. I only JUST purchased my A6000 in November for use on a slider (it replaced my NEX 6). I certainly won't need this new A6300 any time soon. I might treat myself to a second hand one at some point next year or so.

Bruce Dempsey
February 12th, 2016, 04:14 PM
I love it and currentky have a5100 so this 6k jobbie will produce delicious 4k but will it most likely shut down 15 minutes into recording? or have they fixed thatoverheating issue yet with these?

Bruce Dempsey
February 13th, 2016, 09:41 AM
I cannot imagine that Sony would not have addressed the overheating issue with a6300
A couple of clues on their sell sheet are "With a new lower copper wiring layer and processing circuitry that improves light collection efficiency" whereas the previous iiterations had non copper and further the new model is thicker perhaps for better heat dissapation.

Chris Joy
February 13th, 2016, 10:06 AM
The forced 2x sensor crop in UHD 30p is a depressing thing. Every other feature is great.

If its full readout the bump in IQ is worth the crop, just get a speedbooster. Just my opinion.

Dave Therault
February 17th, 2016, 10:20 PM
No audio monitoring?

Jeff Zimmerman
February 18th, 2016, 10:37 AM
My work around for audio monitoring is using the Blackmagic Video Assist monitor. It has on screen audio meters and a headphone jack. Not ideal for the minimalist but I intend to shoot short films and mini-docs with the a6300 so its acceptable for my purpose.

Heard about the 2x crop for 120fps, not a deal breaker. Plan on using the Sony G 18-105 lens. I've had a similar experience with the GH4 having a 2x crop with of MFT sensor. You get use to it the more you use it.

Can't wait for the a6300 just put my pre-order in. As a casualty sold my Canon 1D Mark III. Holding on the all my L glass incase Canon comes around.

Darren Levine
February 18th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Hold your breath on the cropping issue, there's conflicting reports about just how much crop there is in HFR and 4k30, some reports/samples are that it's a fairly small cropping, perhaps 24 to 20mp supersample

Dave Therault
February 18th, 2016, 10:07 PM
My work around for audio monitoring is using the Blackmagic Video Assist monitor. It has on screen audio meters and a headphone jack.

That doesn't monitor what is actually being recorded to the card so I'd be wary of using it as an "A" cam on a job.

It still looks like a sweet instrument!

Jeff Zimmerman
February 19th, 2016, 01:47 PM
The monitor records internally, haven't had any problems with Sony a7. What problem are you referring too?

Cliff Totten
February 19th, 2016, 02:24 PM
You can't use a speed booster with any Sony E mount lenses.

I strongly suspect they are doing the 4k 30p crop and leaving out the headphone jack because they are prepping an A7000 release soon. I'd bet the A7000 won't have these problems :-)

Sverrir Fridriksson
February 22nd, 2016, 09:58 AM
I hope this will be a good piece of equipment for video but I wouldn't expect to capture any truly good audio on it. Just enough to match it in post with the sound recorded on an external device.

Dave Therault
February 22nd, 2016, 10:35 PM
The monitor records internally...
Thank you.

Steve Bleasdale
March 16th, 2016, 01:40 AM
I see there is no stabilization in camera does this mean it has to come from the lens? OSS? If so is there any 2.8 lens or lower say 1.8 on the market? steve

Christopher Young
March 16th, 2016, 03:38 AM
First reports I'm seeing are saying pretty soft and mushy in HD and the worst rolling shutter of any camera tested in 4K. Hmmm!

https://www.cinema5d.com/sony-a6300-vs-sony-a7s-ii-how-good-is-it-really/

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

John McCully
March 16th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Also be aware that the EVF and the LCD dim when shooting 4k. This also happens with my A7RII when shooting 4k and in bright sunlight the camera becomes essentially useless. That and the 'running in NTSC' nag message are driving me crazy. I'm selling it.

Joe Ogiba
March 31st, 2016, 11:43 AM
I just ordered the a6300 today and the 2x crop should work great with my Sony FE 70-200mm f/4.0 G OSS Lens to give it a 140-400mm FF eqiv for extra reach compared to my A7r.

Buba Kastorski
April 22nd, 2016, 08:43 AM
Guys, is there any way to REC/STOP remotely on that camera?
thx!

Ken Ross
April 24th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Also be aware that the EVF and the LCD dim when shooting 4k. This also happens with my A7RII when shooting 4k and in bright sunlight the camera becomes essentially useless. That and the 'running in NTSC' nag message are driving me crazy. I'm selling it.

John, what is the 'running in NTSC' message? I've never seen that on my 6300.

Frankly I'm finding the 4K results from the 6300 are better than my A7RII.

John McCully
June 1st, 2016, 10:55 PM
And you won't however if you switch to PAL mode you just might.

Let me explain: Sony cams are loaded with software according to the intended market. To the best of my (limited) knowledge all else is equal. While I live and shoot, for now, in a PAL country (New Zealand) I choose to switch my locally purchased Sony cam to NTSC to obtain 30p, vs. the PAL 25p, when shooting 4k - there is a difference - and to avoid the motion artefacts I see on my computer monitor when I shoot 25p and 50p. The downside is that when shooting under certain artificial lighting, nighttimes around town for instance, there may be flickering caused by the lighting. For me that is not applicable as I'm not allowed out after dark :-)

Here's the problem (I think): seems you folks in the USA, and Canada also perhaps, can import cheaper grey market cams from Asia that are configured to shoot PAL and in as much as the cam is PAL/NTSC switchable then you can simply set you cheaper PAL cam to NTSC and away you go. Problem is every time you boot up the camera and even whenever the cam wakes from sleep mode you get what becomes a very annoying nag message 'you are running in NTSC' which must be cleared before you can proceed. There are several angry threads about this message at the Sony community forum website all to no avail.

So for us poor unfortunates in PAL countries who choose to switch to NTSC mode as is a legitimate option, we are stuck with this issue, so annoying that I now import my Sony cams from the USA.

I contacted Sony support and their response was shooting PAL in a PAL country is recommended. Fat lot of help they were!

I was tempted to go with the A6300 but I think I shall wait a bit and go with the Panasonic AG-UX180 with the 1 inch sensor which, we are told, shoots 4k at 60p.

Cheers.

John McCully
June 1st, 2016, 10:59 PM
Ken, I only now noticed the date on your post. Just an hour or two ago I received an email telling me about your post asking the question. Very strange! Sorry about that.