View Full Version : Seeking Sony A7s lens advice

Jay Bratcher
February 7th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Hi all -

Does anyone have any thoughts on using the 18-105 f/4 on a Sony A7s for a wedding shoot? I do not own any Sony gear, but would like to rent an A7s (not the Mark II - I'm not sure I can get that into my budget) for a couple of shoots coming up in the next few weeks. The 18-105 in APS-C mode seems like a sound choice as I don't need 4k, but I am curious if there is anything I should watch out for, or if maybe the 24-240 might be better in full frame mode for a wedding... Shooting conditions will range from an evening (about 1 hour before sunset) outdoor ceremony to an indoor reception which may have poor lighting, to a dance which will almost certainly be fairly dark...

I will also have a 55 f/1.8 with me if I need a shallow DOF, but I am thinking the A7s should be fine in low light, even at f/4 - f/8. I am I off base here?

Peter Rush
February 8th, 2016, 03:46 AM
I use the 24-105 for ceremony and speeches and it's fine - why in APS-C mode though as it's a full frame lens?

F4 is ok for all but the darkest of churches with the A7s

Pete

Jay Bratcher
February 8th, 2016, 08:30 AM
I use the 24-105 for ceremony and speeches and it's fine - why in APS-C mode though as it's a full frame lens?

Pete

Thanks Pete - I was wanting a bit more reach, and that lens seems to be very cost effective - but it is an APS-C lens, so I would shoot in crop mode unless there is some compelling reason not to use crop mode. I was also kind of intrigued by the motorized zoom, but have realistic expectations for it.

The 24-105 - is that A mount? Sigma maybe? I'm going to rent both the lens and camera, so I'm kind of at the mercy of the rental house...

Peter Rush
February 9th, 2016, 03:41 AM
Ah sorry - for some reason I though in your OP you had said 24-105 which is a Canon lens - my mistake

Khoi Pham
February 9th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Full frame is about 2 f stop or more cleaner than APS-C, I would not go pass ISO12800 on APS-C but have no problem going up to 32000ISO in full frame.

Jerri Acuna
April 3rd, 2016, 11:54 PM
Maybe you can rent the new g-master lens 24-70 2.8 when it comes out. I know its expensive though. But I would assume 2.8 would be enough dof for events and you may not need to carry around the 55 1.8 if the quality is almost up to par.

Peter Rush
April 4th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Still waiting for user reviews of this lens - is it released yet?

Richard D. George
April 25th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals did a review of the new Sony G Master 24-70 f/2.8. Bottom line - as good as the Canon and Nikon equivalents, and also as good regarding copy-to-copy variation (which apparently is a problem with the Sony FE 24-70 f/4. Because they rent lenses they have many copies.