View Full Version : A7s 3rd party batteries risk?

Peter Rush
March 1st, 2016, 02:57 AM
I've just been involved with a thread elsewhere regarding using the A7s (mark one and two) with non Sony batteries and apparently their is a risk of killing the camera - as in it will switch off and then never turn on again resulting in a trip back to Sony

Anyone have any views on this? I sometimes use a dummy battery with a NP battery plate for longer recording but now I'm worried!

Pete

Dave Sperling
March 1st, 2016, 12:22 PM
I've personally never experienced problems with 3rd party batts for the A7s -- nor have any of several friends who likewise have A7s, A7sII and A7RII cameras. In addition to original Sony batteries, we have Watson, Vivitar and Wasabi batts, all without problems. One friend also has a shoulder rig that he powers with an A-B brick (and has drop-down voltage converter for A7). No problems for any of us ...

Would like to hear more about what specific battery brands have been problems, as well as how the problem developed (was it an over-voltage issue? / or did the issue happen with an over-exhausted battery? / or in the middle of normal operation??? / doing stills, HD, 4k? / overheating?)

Matt Bigwood
March 7th, 2016, 02:01 AM
I've had my A7s for over a year now, and use a mixture of various third party batteries, and have never had a problem with it. I've mainly bought the batteries from Amazon and now have 8 or 10 of them, and get through most of them in a solid day shoot.

Jerri Acuna
April 3rd, 2016, 11:48 PM
I have 2 third party batteries purchased from amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B008OZRZ24/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/181-0318504-8474233?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=850023XH00PHH0SZ6T0E&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1977604502&pf_rd_i=B008OXSDZO

So far they haven't given me any problems or issues. They don't last as long as my 2 Sony batteries but for the price they do the job.