View Full Version : Canon XA10 Modding

Kawika Ohumukini
March 1st, 2016, 11:33 AM
Hi all, it's been awhile. I still use my XA10 for shooting bike races and I'm testing a Sirui P-204S monopod with a Benro S7 head so I'll have an Arm that holds my LANC zoom controller and to use for stabilization. Since I have less to deal with vs. handholding and trying to be steady, I'd like to shoot in manual mode more often.

My problem is my hands have trouble working the small button and dial on the back to change manual mode settings. I'm considering modding the XA10 to move/replace the dial and button inside my LANC controller. Has anyone heard of someone doing this (pics?) or do you have any tips?

The camera is way out of warranty so I have no problems soldering, drilling and running wires. The alternative is to upgrade to a more pro camera ($). Thanks for any information.

Don Palomaki
March 1st, 2016, 05:53 PM
I've not read of anyone doing such mods.
It would require some significant electronics tech skills working on small circuit boards and components. (Not for the average Joe or Jane Sixpack owner.)

I would recommend getting a copy of the canon service manual as a first step. You may be able to order one from Canon parts number on the manual. It may take a bit of effort to get them to sell one to you.

Kawika Ohumukini
March 1st, 2016, 06:56 PM
Thanks Don. I'll contact Canon and try to get the service manual.