View Full Version : DV Gear Talk Video Podcast

Guy Cochran
October 21st, 2005, 01:37 PM
If you haven't seen it yet and have iTunes version 6.... click http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=80616768&s=143441

We're at number 21 in the top Podcast rankings today beating out ABC Nightly News, Newsweek and "Inside Mac Radio," Yea! but that dang Adam Curry is still number 20! We gotta change that!

DV Gear Talk Video Podcast Episodes include:

* Litepanels LED Lights
* FireStore FS-4
* XL2 Feature Tour
* iPod Nano
* Sennheiser Wireless Evolution G2 system
* Edirol Video Mixers
* RODE Videomic
* Sennheiser location Sound Package
* Lowel Ego light
* Tiffen Filters
* BeachTek XLR adapter

and interviews with

Jan from Panasonic on the HVX-200
Ted fron AJA on the Kona
Dave from JVC on the ProHD GY-HD100U
plus many more!

Stop by the DV Gear Talk Podcast and help make us #1!

Justin Kohli
October 24th, 2005, 05:25 PM
No replies? I was happy to see this at the iTunes store front page! Haven't checked anything out yet though.

Awesome!

Jack Markham
October 27th, 2005, 07:10 PM
My iPod with video was delivered today. These are GREAT pod casts and will all find a home on my new iPod. Thanks a bunch!

Guy Cochran
October 27th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Well good news and bad news.

Bad news: as of today 10/27, only 1 video, "Litepanels" is encoded in the new H.264 codec and playable on the new iPod Video. We know, we just got one too for um "testing :)" score!

Good news: You'll find encoding MPEG 4 videos in H.264 is very processor intensive. A dual G5 PowerMac is happily crankin' out a batch export of all the movies and they should all be done encoding and FTP'd up next week :) Yea!

Thanks for your support everyone, we hope to keep crankin' these out as long as we keep hearing the demand. Let us know if there is any product you'd like to see featured.

Oh and thanks for getting us to #12 on Tuesday - we finally did pass Adam Curry...and his hair.

Jack Markham
October 27th, 2005, 08:38 PM
LOL. My dual 2.3 G5 is cranking away also. I'm using QT 7.03 to convert them for my new iPod. And, you're right, my G5 seems slow all of a sudden. Do I dare think QUAD? Slap me in the face. I just got my G5 last summer.

Dave Perry
October 27th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Jack,

Have you tried play videos from your new iPod out to a TV yet? I'm curious to know how they look. I've done some test encodes to the iPod format and at 640x480 they look darn good.

Jack Markham
October 27th, 2005, 09:11 PM
My video cable hasn't arrived. It should be here the first of the week.

Dave Perry
October 27th, 2005, 09:25 PM
By the way Guy, your videos are great and I enjoy them immensley!

Jack Markham
October 31st, 2005, 06:33 PM
I converted Tiffen DV Camera Diffusion Filters for the iPod using QuickTime 7.0.3. It is a very easy conversion. The video on my Sony Vega 32" CRT looks amazingly good. Not as good as video direct from my PD170, but MUCH better than I had expected. It is very watchable. My recommendation: Put your iPod on ebay and get one of these new video iPods. I got the black one. Even if you don't use it for video, I understand that Apple improved the sound, it is A LOT thinner, and the larger screen is great. What's not to like?

Guy Cochran
November 1st, 2005, 06:17 PM
Hi Jack,

Thanks for posting your findings. I just found something kind of interesting. If your camcorder came with an A/V cable, try plugging the Red RCA into the Video Input and the Yellow+White to the audio input of your television. Now you have an iPod A/V cable and saved a few bucks.

BTW, I just watched the LitePanels movie from DV Gear Talk and the U2 music video "Original of the Species" on a 20" NTSC monitor and am really quite amazed at the quality. The new iPod just rocks!

Guy Cochran
January 12th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Now all the podcasts are converted 640x480 for playback on the Apple TV. I believe we're one of the first to convert all episodes to the larger size.

So you can take the podcasts with you and watch on the go, watch on the computer, or watch in the living room.