View Full Version : Need recommendation for gimbal

Charles Papert
March 11th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Hi: helping a friend with a really interesting type of shot for a TV pilot. They are looking to simulate a drone POV by putting a Blackmagic camera on an extension post on a Steadicam, getting the lens up to 10 ft. They don't want to use an actual drone because of proximity to the actors. Can anyone recommend a small/lightweight gimbal that can accommodate the BM camera and lens and has remote control capabilities, at least for tilt? (as the operator can do pan on the post). Preferably a real tilt control that can be feathered, to avoid the "security camera" feel.

Rich Greb
March 11th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Charles, are you talking about a Pocket camera, or MIcro studio? Do you have the weight of the camera and lens.

Charles Papert
March 12th, 2016, 11:04 AM
BM pocket. Not sure about lens yet.

Slavik Boyechko
March 12th, 2016, 11:53 PM
Hi Charles -

The Letus Helix Jr. is a dependable and simple gimbal for small-ish rigs up to 12lbs (I've been using it with a C100 for a year). The base is built flat to be able to attach to tripods or other support. I've never tried remote operation via an RC controller, but they also make an extra-long joystick that's probably as long as you'll need for a jib/crane setup.

Helix Joystick - Extra Long (40 ft) - Letus Corporation (http://www.letus35.com/helix-joystick-extra-long-40-ft/)

You can adjust the speed of the pan, roll, and tilt easily with an app.

Cheers,
Slavik

Charles Papert
March 14th, 2016, 05:06 AM
Slavik: If you mount the Helix Jr onto a Steadicam or tripod by screwing directly into the base, isn't this defeating the tilt mechanism? I see they have a bracket available that spans the handles that they describe for this type of use, that makes more sense to me.

Slavik Boyechko
March 14th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Charles: sorry I wish I could be more helpful. I was just passing the gimbal recommendation along, but have only ever used it solo in follow mode, where tilting the right handle/motor tilts the gimbal up.

A call to Letus in Portland would answer all your questions though, they're very responsive.

Cheers,
Slavik

Michael Stevenson
March 14th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Freefly Systems MōVI M5.

Charles Papert
March 15th, 2016, 12:19 AM
Ha--thank you Michael but I did say "small/lightweight gimbal"--! I think the M5 is overkill for this particular application.

Slavik, thank you for your suggestion as it was interesting looking through the Letus offerings.

Rich Greb recommended the CameTV single gimbal which has an inexpensive remote and while a little clunky, has potential.

In reality, all that is needed for this application is a miniaturized remote tilt head, as stabilization isn't really needed (and pan is covered by the Steadicam post itself). However such a thing would cost far more (and do far less) because there hasn't been a run of manufacturers making them as there has been with the gimbals.

It appears my buddy isn't going to go with anything this fancy--they are going to pre-set the tilt angle for a given shot via a wedge plate.

Thanks all for your input!

Michael Stevenson
March 15th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Charles, The remote on the movi is quite amazing. But if you really need something small it probably is not the best bet. Are you going to NAB? It would be an honor to meet you. :-)

Charles Papert
March 15th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Sadly no NAB for me again this year. Starting a series the same day exhibits open.

Craig Seeman
March 18th, 2016, 07:04 PM
If you limit BMPCC to MFT lenses there's the CAME-TV Single

Not exactly same use as yours but they do show this on a small jib.

http://www.came-tv.com/images/categories/gimbal/came-single/11_came-single-panasonic-gx7-gimbal.jpg

Charles Papert
March 18th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Yes, that was recommended earlier.

I've passed on suggestions and the shoot is early next week...I have a guess they forewent any "newfangled" gear and found a mechanical way to do it.

Walter Brokx
March 25th, 2016, 12:14 PM
M5 overkill?

It is a lightweight gimbal for light cameras.
It can carry the pocketcam with almost any lens, remote follow focus and, if needed wireless video.
Plus you can control it with the MIMIC if you don't like joysticks.

How did it go and what did you use?