View Full Version : Canon HV40 HDMI Out to Recorder

Dave Morgan
March 16th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Has anyone used a HV series with the HDMI output into like a ninja recorder? Just wondering what it would look like. Currently just capturing old tapes with my HV40 But I feel like it could still get certain jobs done. Well also considering its my only camcorder at the moment.

Jeff Pulera
March 17th, 2016, 07:29 AM
I have an HV20 that I use with the Ninja 2, works great!

Big quality difference between ProRes 422 (4:2:2 at 150Mbps) and HDV (4:2:0 at 25Mbps). I just shot a stage event with funky lighting and had to do a lot of color correction and it came around very nicely with the ProRes.

I should ask, are you aware of the cheat to disable auto gain? Makes a huge difference in the quality I get when shooting in darker environments. Basically, put camera in "tv60" mode I believe it is, then hold your phone in front of the lens with a white screen displayed. Then with the joystick, turn on manual exposure. Now you control the exposure with the joystick left and right, with no gain being added and get a nice clean picture which can be brightened in post if need be, and there is no noise/grain! The cheap little HV20 will make a nicer image than my Sony FX7 3-chipper that cost 3x as much and is 3x as big!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Digital Vision

Dave Morgan
March 17th, 2016, 02:40 PM
I tried that lol, maybe not doing it right. Is it full 1920x1080 when you use the HDMI?
Thanks

Jeff Pulera
March 17th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Yes, the HDMI output (and the Component out for that matter) are full 1920x1080. Only when recording to HDV tape does it squish the image down to 1440x1080.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
March 17th, 2016, 02:45 PM
I tried that lol, maybe not doing it right.
Thanks

I don't have the camera available at the moment, but if I recall there is a switch on right side of camera that can be "P" or "Auto", I think it should be "P" for the gain thing to work.

Will follow up later if I remember to check out my camera at home

Thanks

Colin McDonald
March 10th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Can I ask has anyone used a PAL HV40 to output to an external recorder via HDMI?

I would be interested to know what frame rate it outputs - it says "HDMI out 1920 x 1080i" but how does the HDMI output deal with the 25f option (the Canon version of 25p)?

Ian Thomas
March 10th, 2017, 04:48 PM
don't know Colin but I have both the hv20/30 and did not use them for a while but have started again you can keep all your new singing and dancing 4k stuff these little gems produce a lovely sharp image which is over looked because they use tape tut tut old hat well I for one think tape is great you have a master copy and there's plenty of tape around