View Full Version : My favourite videos from last season.

Andrew Maclaurin
March 20th, 2016, 04:12 AM
As I was going over my weddings from 2015 to see what I liked and where I need to improve, I thought it would be interesting to share 3 of my favourites to see what my peers think. So here you are (in no particular order):

Rut y Victor, Boda, Aal Cachucho, San Agustín de Guadalix, Madrid on Vimeo

Susana y Jose, Boda, Las Bocas, Cubas de la Sagra, Madrid on Vimeo

Aroa y Alberto, Boda, Restaurante Cañaveral, Robledo de Chavela, Madrid on Vimeo

Any comments appreciated!

Noa Put
March 20th, 2016, 04:54 AM
That's some solid camerawork, it's nice to see someone that can keep focus :) What camera 's where used t shoot this?

I know it comes down to personal preference and I see you have a fixed way how you build your trailers with the voice-overs and you time the music well on important parts but for my feeling there is a disconnection between the voices and what I see, I would like to see who is talking, even if it's only for a very short while. I"m also missing some natural sound. In some cases, like during the dancing you can't use it because of copyrights, but I like to use the sound of general chatter during brideprep or when people cheer and maybe one person talking at the ceremony, just to add that extra layer of depth so that it feels more real.

I only wished I could shoot on the same locations as you do and I"d take the nice weather as a bonus, Belgian weather is so unreliable it often suxs :)

Andrew Maclaurin
March 20th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Thanks Noa.
They are all filmed on a Canon C100 handheld (sometimes I use a Canon 700D as a B cam but not usually in the trailers). Focus is always a challenge! I have had others do some extra camera work for me and it is frustrating the amount of out of focus shots they give me.
I used to use images of the interviews (in some cases I still do) but in general I don't. I think that wedding videos are intimate affairs and the people who watch them will know who is speaking. We, as pros, might like those who are not friends or family to be able to know who is talking but at the end of the day I don't feel it's essential. I do use natural sound sometimes but people here have a habit of shouting and swearing a lot so it can become just noise! But I agree, whenever possible it can add ambience and depth.
The nice weather can be a challenge. A whole day running about in 30-40 degrees can be tiring! As well as the intense sunshine affecting shots, it can overheat dslrs very quickly.
I must admit that I'm often jealous of your beautiful locations!