View Full Version : On Camera Monitor Mount (EX1/EX3 and similar)

Mark Chafe
March 20th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

I recently picked up a light weight 7" on camera monitor and plan to mount it on my cameras (Sony EX1R,, EX3 and smaller). Are there any specific low cost camera mounts that would be a good fit for these cameras, or should any articulating arm be adequate? I have used SmallHD Strong Arm7 before on Panasonic HPX370's with Marshall 7" monitors with Anton Bauer batteries, but they're much heavier cameras and monitors especially with the battery..

In case anyone is wondering, the monitor I have is a Feelworld FW759 (cheap cheap).

Thanks

Ken Hull
March 23rd, 2016, 12:13 PM
You might try an Israeli arm, also known as an articulated arm. It attaches to the camera by cold shoe or by 1/4-20 thread mount. It allows some adjustment of position.

Mark Chafe
March 29th, 2016, 07:03 PM
I purchased a 7" articulating arm, however it only fits in the front shoe and not the back. More so worried about the stress on the cold shoe than anything else. The heaviest thing I have mounted on the camera is an LED light panel. Has anyone mounted a monitor to the EX1/EX3 without causing any damage to the cold shoes? It is a very very light monitor but just concerned.

Thanks

Bill Ward
March 30th, 2016, 06:56 AM
I've put a smallHD DP6 on the front cold shoe on the EX-3 with just a normal ball joint before, and it seemed to do fine. Of course, if you put the monitor on an arm and lever it away from the center of the camera, that will put extra stress on the cold shoe.