View Full Version : NX3 SD record time and backup use

Rob Morse
March 21st, 2016, 07:52 PM
Hey all. I'm about to pull the trigger on an NX3 and was wondering how much time you get on a particular size SD card. Cards are getting larger, but I don't want more then I need, and typically try to stay a little lower. I would also like to take advantage of the simultaneous recording so I have a backup. I wouldn't want to go higher than 64 unless someone can convince me otherwise. If there are any other nuances you can think of, feel free to share. Thanks.

Rob Morse
March 22nd, 2016, 10:48 AM
I figured it out. I have enough of a rough estimate and camera is ordered. Coming from a Z5U and hoping it out performs it in the low light area. I would assume the picture wouldn't be disappointing either.

Tom Van den Berghe
March 22nd, 2016, 11:05 AM
I always shoot 50p 1920x1080 and I can record about 150 minutes on a 64gig card.
I have a hxr-nx3. It performs very well in low light.

Rob Morse
March 22nd, 2016, 07:19 PM
Thanks Tom. Glad you responded. I actually expected more time out of a 64 GB card. I may have to get some extra cards.

Mark Owens
March 23rd, 2016, 03:33 AM
I get 352 minutes on my sandisk 64gd recording in AVCHD per card so it is 704 in total and with the new firmware xacs I only get about 150 minutes this is on my nx3 record in 50i

Rob Morse
March 23rd, 2016, 05:31 PM
Thanks Mark. That was more in line with what I expected. Maybe Tom is shooting with that new codec.

Mark Owens
March 24th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Rob, The AVCHD is 17mb compared to the new xavcs which is 50mb I got a couple of 128g sandisk to give my self some breathing room on the new format

Rob Morse
March 24th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Mark, the manual says it's only good for 64 GB, have you used the 128 GB? Is it me or is that headphone jack in a weird place? Was this camera not too popular? I know I'm late to the game but there isn't much feedback anywhere.

Mark Owens
March 26th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Hi sorry got the file size wrong on NX3 was working with Panasonic FX1000 at the time and got confused the NX3 in FX mode is max. 24 Mbps in AVCHD so the new firmware update gives you XAVCS 50Mbps and yes the 128GB cards work, I did the same thing as you and asked on this forum before I purchased and someone else was already using 128GB cards, I purchased Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mbs. bought them from B and H I can get 2 -128GB cards plus freight to Australia cheaper than I can buy 1 - 128gb card exactly the same here in Australia, so shop around.
The camera for me has been really good especially in low light, there are some fantastic reviews on you tube, another thing was the batteries cost, I have an Sony FX1 and Z5 with HVR-MRC1 card kit and with the NX3 all cameras take the same batteries, makes life easier cost wise even have a couple of Comer 1800 lights, Z95 lights and Ninja 2 also all take the Sony NP-L series batteries

Rob Morse
March 28th, 2016, 11:39 AM
I basically use the same setup as you, with the Z5, minus the Ninja. That was the reason I chose this camera over some of the newer ones. I love that you can use 128 gb cards, but even though this is a beautiful setup, I'm still leery of SD cards as a long term, reliable source. I guess if one is a backup...