View Full Version : NX5U record to Laptop?

Patrick Janka
April 4th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Is it possible to simultaneously record to SD card as well as a laptop? What would be necessary? Can it be done via USB cable? Can Adobe Premiere's Capture function be used?

Jeff Pulera
April 4th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Not via USB cable from camera. You would need an HDMI capture device connected to computer, such as a Magewell USB 3.0 capture card. If you have a MacBook, there are Thunderbolt capture devices such as those from Black Magic Design or AJA.

You might consider a stand-alone recorder like Atomos Ninja 2 or Black Magic Video Assist. Much simpler than dragging a laptop around and setting it (and the capture device) up every time. Plus they are portable and can be mounted right on the camera, doubling as a monitor that is bigger than the camera LCD.

Another downside of using a laptop is storage space/storage speed - you may need to connect a fast external drive to record with.

Thanks

Patrick Janka
April 4th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I didn't want to spend the money on one of those externals. I do have a MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt and an external SSD. I was considering doing legal depositions and they want a backup.

Ron Evans
April 4th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Do you have the FMU128, that would give you the second copy. I just got a Black Magic Video Assist and connected over SDI from my NX5U. Works really well with unit starting and stopping with timecode from the NX5U.

Ron Evans

Patrick Janka
April 4th, 2016, 05:30 PM
No I don't. I think the one of those capture devices that serve as intermediary to my laptop would suit me best. Thanks.

Jeff Pulera
April 5th, 2016, 08:03 AM
The pocket-sized BMD Ultra Studio Mini Recorder is under $150, connects via Thunderbolt and accepts SDI or HDMI input. But again, storage in the laptop could be a concern, both for speed and capacity.

Another alternative is a stand-alone recorder, such as Atomos Ninja 2 or Black Magic Video Assist. But those are making large ProRes files and if you just need a safety backup, that may not be practical. There are many low-cost recorders that save .mp4 files to an SD card or USB device. They are made primarily for gamers to record their sessions. Something like that may be an economical alternative.

I just did a web search for "mp4 gaming recorder" and several came up, starting at under $100, with HDMI input. Might be ideal for your needs.

Thanks

Jeff

Steven Digges
April 11th, 2016, 11:39 PM
I bought a Black Magic Design Intensity Shuttle to be a HDMI to PC lap top interface via thunderbolt for my interface needs. I can not say enough bad things about it. I hate it because it does not work as advertised. The only way I can capture video with it is to use their software that does not work as stated on the website.

I would not recommend this product to anyone.

Steve

Pete Cofrancesco
April 12th, 2016, 08:32 AM
The preferred method for depos is record to a Sony Direct DVD. They're no longer manufactured. You can still buy old stock but prices have increased do to limited supply. Reporting agencies only accept dvds due to their universal compatibility and mail friendliness.

You can use the camera's card if you're hired directly by the attorney and you're doing your own production. If this is the case the FMU128 is the best alternative.

I've tried using a laptop but found it's not any good for this type of work.