View Full Version : 7D Mark II questions

Jeremiah Rickert
May 13th, 2016, 04:11 PM
It really killed me to buy a new camera right when everything is about to take a big leap, but I had a job that required me to take stills pretty regularly and I had to have a DSLR. (And frankly, I was abusing the goodwill of my friend who kept letting me borrow his).

My main questions are about shooting video. How much video can you shoot with a single battery?

Is there any reason to pay a premium for the OEM canon battery grip? Or can you make due with the knockoffs that are half to one-quarter the price?

Is there any way to power a 7D Mark II with an AC adapter?

Is there any reason to use a CF card over a high speed SDHC card? I already have a pile of the latter and it seemed to make more sense to just use them.

That's about it. The previous DSLR I have been using was a Canon 60D, is there anything I need to know about the difference between the two? The menus seem generally the same.

Thanks!

Seth Bloombaum
May 13th, 2016, 08:42 PM
I made the move from a 60D to 70D, but I wish I'd waited for the 80D. I like doing on-camera audio, mixer to dSLR, and though you can do confidence monitoring with Magic Lantern on the 60D, not on the 70D. The 80D includes a headphone socket, which is pretty important in my book.

As is the articulating monitor, but you know what you're giving up there. I like the feature set of the 60/70/80...

I don't know much about 3rd party battery grips, but that's pretty easy to get from reviews. I've given up on my Wasabi batteries, and finally gone all Canon. One had croaked, and I was noticing that I was getting 20 or 30 minutes on a batt instead of 1.5 to 2 hours. Or so. I've never run out of juice with 5 batteries, and haven't been tempted by a 2-batt grip. May be different on 7Dm2. I quite like the Watson Dual Charger that B&H sells. It's easy to stay charged up with the original single Canon *and* the Watson which also does car charging.

Now there's a high-capacity genuine Canon batt, the LP-E6n, don't have any.

All those E6 cameras can run on an ACK-E6 AC supply, it's great for studio work. Events too, I suppose. About $120 from Canon. There are knock offs, I stuck with Canon.

Don't have any info on your 7Dm2-specific questions...

Rob Cantwell
May 14th, 2016, 11:43 AM
I have a Canon 5D Mk III and a 70D and I have third party battery grips on both one has two Canon Brand LP-E6 the other has hähnel HLX-E6 and perform the same if not better than the Canon ones.

The only thing I saw in reviews about Battery Grips was that one brand had a fault in them - because of the way the wiring was it would cause the battery to drain if stored in the Battery Grip. The two I have are 100% and cost a fraction of the Canon Battery Grip.

Gary Huff
May 14th, 2016, 12:57 PM
the other has hähnel HLX-E6 and perform the same if not better than the Canon ones.

How would it perform better?

Rob Cantwell
May 14th, 2016, 05:26 PM
they have a higher capacity so more battery power

Jeremiah Rickert
May 17th, 2016, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the responses. I ended up getting the OEM AC adapter, but went with an off-brand battery grip. Just picked the one with the best reviews. The first event where I'm going to use the 7DM2 is tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.

I had my first real use for stills a few days ago, the photo call for a local theater production. I have to say, it's a good way to get to know the manual settings in your camera well, shooting actors and sets in all different kinds of lighting!