View Full Version : FS7 Magenta - Green shading problem??

Christopher Young
May 22nd, 2016, 01:28 AM
Hello All ~

A colleague of mine just dropped in with his FS7 to load a few LUTs to try out. Lo and behold when the camera was turned on the picture exhibited a nasty strong Magenta to Green cast going from left to right right across the entire screen, it also stretched from top to bottom. Reminded me of some of the old shading issues we used to have with tube cameras and the early CCD cameras that had analogue circuits for shading adjustments.

Regardless of what we did. We did the following, Black balance, Switching between Standard to Custom to Log modes, powering down removing the battery and powering back up, switching modes from 50Hz to 60Hz and back again plus a total factory reset. Tried with and without lens plus tried different lenses. All to no avail. This FS7 still exhibited this nasty L-R Magenta / Green cast. Which became increasingly bad as gain was applied.

A bit of urgency required here as he is due to head to S.E. Asia for three weeks shooting. Anyone seen this problem on an FS7? Or any other late model Sony for that matter. If so what was the problem and what was the fix? Does anyone know? Any suggestions as to a solution would also be keenly listened to.

Monday tomorrow here so the camera is going straight back in to Sony for a quick fix hopefully. The camera is only three weeks old so still under warranty luckily.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Dave Sperling
May 24th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Only 3 weeks old? -- Are you sure the better solution might not be to take it back to the dealer and have them replace it? Sounds to me like a serious issue, and one that shouldn't be happening in essentially a brand new camera. Replacing it with a new one would also eliminate the frustration of waiting for repairs.

Christopher Young
May 24th, 2016, 09:14 PM
That's exactly what we would like Dave but there are none in Australia. Cameras ordered in Feb are only due into Australia over the next 4-6 weeks. I have one on order, deposit payed. can't get it. One prod company I know who had one on order for weeks are now in Las Vegas with a unit coming from BH in NY for them to do their shoot. Since that major earthquake in southern Japan things have gone from bad to worse on supply. Let's hope it can be fixed locally by Sony because I hear spare parts are in extremely short supply world wide.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Mark Watson
May 25th, 2016, 01:42 AM
Try doing an APR. And also try displaying the color bars. If the problem is with the sensor, the color bars should look okay, right? Record something and play the video back on your computer to see if the image on the camera's screen is the same on the monitor.

Mark

Christopher Young
May 25th, 2016, 03:52 AM
Did all that Mark. First thing I thought of was to output bars and when I saw they were clean did an APR which had no effect so I then started to thick processor, encoder or sensor problem.

Well that question was answered at 3pm today by Sony. They are saying the sensor has some serious output problems. Without question they said they were replacing the camera. In the meantime the dealer is giving him a loaner until new stocks arrive. In the meantime still waiting on one here!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Mark Watson
May 25th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Chris,
Sounds like you've isolated it to the front end. I wonder if you had a raw module and external recorder to narrow it down further in the processing chain. A moot point with a replacement on the way but kind of curious about this one. Glad to hear they're helping him out. Getting about 1 earthquake per week here in my area of Japan.

Mark

Christopher Young
May 25th, 2016, 06:08 AM
Hmm! Them earthquakes. Only ever been in one and that was enough for this fellow. Fingers crossed they get cameras to us soon.

Chris Young
CVY Productions
Sydney