View Full Version : New F3 User question/possible problem

Gary Rogers
June 15th, 2016, 05:34 AM
Hi
I recently got my hands on a second hand F3. All seems ok other than the crappy VF is not working. That i can live with but I took off the top of the handle to see if there is anything obvious and it is clear the ribbon cable connector to the VF has a catch that should hold in the ribbon cable that has been broken off.

My main concern though is the main chip on the PCB gets very hot to the point the handle itself gets very warm. I am guessing the chip might have got damaged and is drawing excessive power?

Does anyone else notice their handle getting warm?

Cheers in advance..

Jurgen Bauwens
June 15th, 2016, 07:36 AM
I have never noticed the arm getting warm but I'm working without the viewfinder. I removed it from the body and I'm always using a tvlogic viewfinder on a rig..... I don't think it's normal when the whole arm is getting hot. Maybe it's a short circuit in the ribbon cable?

Gary Rogers
June 15th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Hi
This is what worries me as I have taken the viewfinder off too as there is no clamp to hold the ribbon into the connector, and their appears to be a small blackening on one of the ribbon cable connections that plugged into the connector as if someone has previously shorted something.. I recon it might of damaged the processor that feeds the vf?

I guess if I could get the board through Sony spares at a reasonable price then it's the way to go...

Bill Ward
June 16th, 2016, 07:43 AM
No, the handles on my pair of F3s never get warm. I would highly recommend sending the unit in for diagnosis before it becomes a barbeque device. I'd also have some words with the person who sold it to you.

Gary Rogers
June 16th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Hi
I actually swopped it for an old 60's Angeniuex lens! Although a good lens I just wasn't using it.. the board in question costs £134 so I might hassle the guy over it!