View Full Version : Mac to Mac audio

Betsy Moore
July 27th, 2016, 08:59 PM
My main editing computer is a 2013 trashcan Mac Pro. I haven't been feeling well off and on for the last few months so when necessary I've been doing the video only portion of the editing from my 2011 Macbook Air via Chrome Remote Desktop. This allows me to edit even if I feel the need to lie in bed for a few hours. Problem is I can only edit video, not audio/video, because I can't find a way to stream audio from one Mac to another, even in my own home, and even when streaming video from one device to another is (usually) pretty seamless.

Every once in a while I'll waste a couple of hours trying to research a work around but never come up with anything that works. Is Apple really that bad that it forbids audio/video via wi-fi?

If anyone knows any reasonable work-arounds I'd love to hear from you! Thanks!

William Hohauser
August 8th, 2016, 06:32 PM
If you use a service like LogMeIn, you can get the audio too.

Betsy Moore
August 10th, 2016, 12:06 AM
I'll try it, thanks William!

Robert Lane
September 13th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Curious: Have you tried Apple Remote Desktop? It's built into the OS and has been for years.

Boyd Ostroff
September 16th, 2016, 06:44 AM
Funny, I have been using the built-in MacOSX screen sharing to control a server for years, but never noticed that it didn't support audio until I read this. A quick Google search found this. Haven't tried it, but maybe it will do what you want.

https://macmanus.nl/2012/07/29/fixed-add-sound-to-screen-sharing/

BTW, are you really doing this on a 2011 MacBook Air over wifi? Isn't that very slow? I used to have a 2011 MacBook Air but now use a 2013 model. In 2013 Apple added 802.11ac wifi that is around 4 or 5 times faster.

Hope you are feeling better these days.