View Full Version : 360 Comparison Video: Samsung Gear 360 versus Kodak 360 4K

Mark Rosenzweig
July 29th, 2016, 02:39 PM
First the Samsung, then the Kodak pair:

https://youtu.be/mBdyJbzxuok

Samsung video stitched in the Samsung S7. The Kodak video was stitched using the Kodak PC stitching software.

Mike Watson
August 1st, 2016, 01:17 AM
Wow, the Kodak was way better. I am just getting into 360, so I apologize for the dumb comments, but apparently lens flare is hard to control when your lens is a 180-fisheye with no shade from the sun. My first thought was "HOLY LENS FLARE, BATMAN", but apparently there's no way to stop it.

Mark Rosenzweig
August 1st, 2016, 11:27 AM
Wow, the Kodak was way better. I am just getting into 360, so I apologize for the dumb comments, but apparently lens flare is hard to control when your lens is a 180-fisheye with no shade from the sun. My first thought was "HOLY LENS FLARE, BATMAN", but apparently there's no way to stop it.

Yes, the Kodaks are way better.

There may be a way of reducing the flare problem. The Kodaks have screwable transparent lens covers. Having these glass domes over the lens may worsen the flare problem. I may try an experiment with and without the covers to see if it matters. This video was shot with the covers on. I need to wait for a sunny day...

Matt Bigwood
August 10th, 2016, 12:47 AM
The exposure and sharpness looks much better on the Kodak. Is there any way to correct the exposure on the Samsung?

Mark Rosenzweig
August 10th, 2016, 08:27 AM
The exposure and sharpness looks much better on the Kodak. Is there any way to correct the exposure on the Samsung?

The Samsung, like the Kodak, does have the ability to control exposure (ev compensation only). Both cameras were set to auto, at ev 0. However, I do not see anything wrong with the exposure from either camera in these clips. The colors are just duller from the Samsung, and less sharp.