View Full Version : What Is The Best Configuration?

Bob Keen
August 2nd, 2016, 04:00 AM
Hi Guys

I have a technical question which I hope that someone will be able to answer for me. I use a Sony PMW 320 and am at present recording the XDCAM EX files using 1920 X 1080 50i. There is the option in the camera's menu to use 25p as apposed to 50i. Could someone please explain the circumstances in which it would be preferable to use one setting rather than the other? I film sporting events where a good deal of fast movement takes place and usually output to DVD.
Also, what shutter setting would you recommend?

Jack Zhang
August 3rd, 2016, 03:30 AM
25p would be more suited to cinematic/dramatic production like TV series. Internet delivery would also benefit since it's the camera's only progressive scan mode at 1920x1080, but would not work at all for high paced sports due to lack of frame rate.

YouTube is starting to support high frame rate content now, so you could try shooting at 720p 50p. Depending on the camera, some may say HQ 720/50p or HQ 1280/50p. If your current stuff is sports related, I would recommend that setting. Also uploading that natively to YouTube will allow the high frame rate of the source footage to be retained. Uploading a 1080i file to YouTube de-interlaces it to 25p, which does not maintain smooth motion.

Brian Drysdale
September 6th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Sporting events are generally shot interlaced for broadcast work, the equivalent for progressive on the net would be 50p.

Paul Anderegg
October 1st, 2017, 09:54 PM
Stick with 50i for broadcast, but if your primary or long term final product will reside on the internet, then 25p. 50i looks better for motion compared to 25p...but only on TV sets because they have interlaced modes which make it look clear as 50p.

Paul