View Full Version : New Drone Rules Take Effect Monday

Ed Roo
August 24th, 2016, 10:15 AM
New Drone Rules Take Effect Monday

By Mary Grady August 22, 2016

The FAA’s new rules that will allow widespread use of small drones for commercial purposes take effect next Monday, Aug. 29. The rules require operators of commercial drones to have a pilot certificate or pass an FAA knowledge test to ensure they understand airspace restrictions and other relevant rules. They also must be at least 16 years old and will be subject to vetting by the TSA. The drones are restricted to airspace below 400 feet and must weigh 55 pounds or less. Operators must keep their drone within visual line of sight, and fly only during daylight hours, although twilight flying is allowed if the drone has anti-collision lights.

The regulations also prohibit flights over unprotected people on the ground who aren’t directly participating in the UAS operation. The FAA is offering a process to waive some restrictions if an operator proves the proposed flight will be conducted safely. “With this new rule, we are taking a careful and deliberate approach that balances the need to deploy this new technology with the FAA’s mission to protect public safety,” said FAA Administrator Michael Huerta. “But this is just our first step. We’re already working on additional rules that will expand the range of operations.”

New Drone Rules Take Effect Monday - AVweb flash Article (http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/New-Drone-Rules-Take-Effect-Monday-226839-1.html)

Mike Watson
August 24th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Has anybody taken the test? I was expecting to study more as the date got closer, but I've read basically nothing about it.

Jim Michael
August 25th, 2016, 09:25 AM
I took the test for those with Part 61 certification and current BFR. It's pretty straightforward. You need a 100% to pass that test. You actually have to find a CFI or similar to handle the rest of the certification process in order to verify your identity and currency. It's actually easier to go to a testing center.

Mike Watson
August 25th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Jim, any pilot experience? What did you study?

Jim Michael
August 25th, 2016, 03:21 PM
I only have about 260 hours of fixed wing time (mostly tailwheel in my Stinson) and no UAV experience to speak of. May have to buy one now. I just took the online course and then the test. Took about 2 hours. The test for Part 61 cert. holders only covers the part 107 material since it's assumed you already have the wx and airspace knowledge. Interesting, the course is good for Wings credit - there is a program that allows you to substitute some online courses & seminars and flight instruction for your BFR requirement.