View Full Version : Help chosing a camcorder please.

Scott Holt
October 4th, 2016, 07:04 PM
I am looking at a new camcorder within my budget. I am really looking hard between 3 models.
JVC GY-HM170UA
Panasonic AG-AC30
JVC GY-HM200U
If you know the price of these you will see they are very close in price at B&H with the HM170 being the cheapest right now. Does anyone have any experience with these. I know the Panasonic is a brand new model but I have 2 AG-AC90 camcorders and love them. Anyone care to comment? Thanks.

Karl Walter Keirstead
October 11th, 2016, 01:06 AM
Th AG AC30 has good two reviews at B&H.

I saw elsewhere the following "Unfortunately there aren’t any internal ND filters"

Best you check this out and if true, if you plan to do a lot of out of doors recordings, do the required research.

I have not looked at the AC30 but I have the AC160 which does not have some of the features of the AC30 and cost me close to $4K (back in 2012)

Donald McPherson
October 11th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Another to throw in at this price range Sony pxw x70

Chris Harding
October 11th, 2016, 05:57 PM
I have been a Panasonic fan for the past 25 years so I'm biased... love the colour and sharpness of the Leica optics especially. The only cameras that disappointed me were the AC-130's which had terrible issues and build quality which is when I switched to Sony for a year or so ..loved the Sony technology but never liked the end result sadly. You either like the Sony Look or not. I like the Panasonic look. Shooting on FZ1000's ATM which are stunning but of course not camcorders. If you want a conventional camcorder I would still look at the AC-30 first, especially since you already have AC-90's

It a bit like choosing a car ...you have your preferred brands!

Eugen Brinzoiu
October 12th, 2016, 12:55 AM
How about this one?
Sony HXR-NX100

Scott Holt
October 24th, 2016, 02:49 PM
I got the AC30 and like many things about it but one. The video. It is soft. Too soft. It lacks punch and detail to me. I need a camcorder also that outputs at 720 60p and this does not. I am going to send it back. Does anyone have a AG-AC90 or AC90A for sale? I really like that or does anyone have a professional or prosumer camcorder or know of one for sale that has 720 60p output.

Scott Holt
October 27th, 2016, 10:10 AM
I contacted B&H today and got a return RMA. I now need to find a camcorder that I like. I know I like the AC90 and wonder if there is anyone out there that has one to sell. I have checked on eBay and some of those people are nuts. For some reason they think they can sell them for over 2k. At the end of their life they were under $1500. I will buy a whole different brand new camera for more than that if I have to. I looked at the features of the Sony X70 and it really seems to have a lot of the record and HDMI out settings that the Panny AC30 did not. If I looked at it right it has a 720 60p output for HDMI out or did I see that wrong?

Phil Goetz
December 5th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Panasonic UX90? It has the 1" chip where the AC30 has a 1/3" chip. Less zoom, but shorter depth of field and perhaps easier focusing depending on what you are doing.

Chris Harding
December 6th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Hi Scott

I know the FZ1000 or FZ2500 are bridge cameras but still take a close look at them ..the footage is razor sharp and very very impressive! I have two FZ1000's for video currently and then a FZ2500 on pre-order ...they really blew me away and I have been shooting Panny for 25 years. They will want to make you sell your current AC-90 too!!

Scott Holt
December 7th, 2016, 06:40 AM
There just not geared for what I need in the sports shooting we do. For our setup we'll need XLR and more controls on camera for WB, etc. I'm sure they are great cameras but just won't be a good fit for what we do. Thanks though.