View Full Version : Projecting footage + Sound question

Leigh Hanlon
October 24th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Last week, some footage I shot for a community group was projected in a fairly large lecture hall at a local college. This was the first time I'd seen any of my GL2 footage projected this large -- and I was impressed with how clear and crisp it looked. I had reduced the amount of red using CP, but I think I desaturated it a bit much. Or does projection tend to flatten out NTSC red?

There was a minor issue with the sound that I hope someone might have some insight on. I tested the DVD twice before the show and it projected just fine and the sound was undistorted and clear both times. Yet, less than 10 minutes later when my part of the program played, there were isolated instances where the sound occasionall popped and sounded clipped.

Since we were switching out DVDs for each portion of the program, I'm guessing this might have simply been a loading issue?

Leigh

Julian Kehaya
October 28th, 2005, 01:22 PM
also could have been the sound equipment in the auditorium. A lot of the time places used by many different people have "abused" audio systems. Not everyone realizes how far they can push that equipment. I know every time i have been in an auditorium that was showing a movie or documentary the volume was always too loud. I know the speakers in my car had a problem where i blew one out, but only in a specific range. If i turned the volume too loud on certain songs i could hear the blown out speaker vibrating when certain sounds hit. But if i turned down the volume it would not distort at all.

Well, i could go deeper into my theory about why this happened to my speaker but i'll spare you.

Could be anything else like a loose connection in their system that someone tripped over just before your segment came on! Well, all i'm saying it do not just go blaming yourself right away because there are many possabilities.

Not sure how you would test them all though but you might want to think about running some kind of tests on your DVD at home to figure out if the problem is actually on the DVD, and if so, on the actual data that you recorded.

hmmm,

hope this helps

-Julian