View Full Version : Sony TRv950 or Canon GL2

John Lee
December 6th, 2002, 12:25 PM
This may be a no-brainer. But, I've narrowed my search to these two cameras. From what I've read the GL2 is a better camera, but I was wondering if there is any incentive to go with the TRV950 instead. I'd appreciate any of your opinions.

Nathan Gifford
December 6th, 2002, 12:28 PM
The GL-2 is a better cam, but I believe it costs more too.

Dirk Goris
December 7th, 2002, 01:05 PM
There is no eason to prefer the sony above the canon imho. The lens and easy to use way of the canon is unique.

Bill Hardy
December 7th, 2002, 01:44 PM
I believe the Sony has nightvision and may have the edge on resolution, although you probably could not notice. Check out the video frame called "GL2 Church Lady" on this web page:

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum8.html

According to Videomaker Magazine the GL2 has 510 lines and the Sony TRV950 has 530 lines.
I hear the GL2 has the edge on low light performance however, not counting the TRV950 night vision which of course alters image quality. The GL2 has frame mode which gives a more film like quality, and also the 20x zoom wins over the TRV950 zoom.
I believe the Sony gives more video footage per unit of battery power, but I don't have the exact figures; you may want to look into this.

The GL2 may be a tad weaker in the yellow intensity department, although colors in general to me look most impressive. Colors can also be intensified and tint can be adjusted. I don't know if the TRV950 can do these things.
I notice some GL2 color bleed with colored neon lights at night on my computer LCD display.

I cannot give you any weak points of the Sony 950 because I do not own one. You may ask for weaknesses of the TRV950 on another forum section which deals with the Sony's. You may or may not get honest answers as I have tried to give, but good luck.