View Full Version : Apollo problem + solution

Dave Hall
October 27th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Last weekend I was in charge of recording 4 studio cameras into the Apollo for four days in a row, 12 hours per day (75 minute sessions with a 15 minute break), and making 2 copies of all footage. The guy that hired me rented four 512gb SSDs (Convergent Design ones-made by Toshiba) and I brought 4 SSDs of my own (two 1TB Samsungs and two 512gb Samsungs) On the 4th day of recording, I was unable to use the "CD ProRes Transfer" software to convert one of the 75 minute sessions. I tried the CD ProRes Transfer software on a Mac and a PC, and both failed. I first tried the "rebuild" feature on the Apollo, but that did not work. When I looked at the "prores-transfer-log.txt" file, I could see that it was failing at the 40th file on the SSD (40th out of 96.) I texted Dan from C.D. (on a Sunday afternoon) and he got right back to me. Unfortunately the 2 of us couldn't figure it out. I solved it the next day by cloning the SSD (straight copy) to another hard drive and making a second copy of the file and folder structure from the SSD. Then on the SSD copy I deleted files 40 to 96. Then I was able to transfer the first 39 files to ProRes. Next I used the second copy of the SSD to delete files 1 to 39. I was then able to get the second half of the footage converted. So in the long run I lost about 40 seconds of footage from a 75 minute 4 camera shoot. The SSD that had failed was one of the rented Convergent Design 512gb SSDs.

Jack Zhang
October 28th, 2016, 03:01 AM
I still wish they rewrote the ProRes Transfer utility in something other than Java.