View Full Version : FS5 Scroll/Select button

Nigel Davey
November 2nd, 2016, 07:57 AM
I remember reading here (I think) that some FS5 owners have been having issues with the scroll/select button on the side of their FS5's, ie it stopped working. Can anyone provide a link to that thread please?

The 'select' (rather than scroll) action on mine has intermittently stopped working today. Unfortunately my FS5 has already been back to Sony twice for quality related repairs. Initially for dust inside the sealed chip area and then during that repair the repair centre damaged the inner casing so badly that there were reflections on any recording made after it was sent back to me. I spotted the issue as soon as it was returned (you could see it all twisted inside) but amazingly their engineer still sent it back stating it was repaired. So then I had to wait nearly 2 months for the part to come from Japan. Admittedly Sony did issue me with a loan FS5 during that time.

But amongst all this there was a second focus issue that only appeared when my Sony 35mm F1.8 lens when coupled with my FS5. So they recommended sending the lens back with the camera (but no loan lens, so 2 months without my 35mm). When my FS5 was returned with the lens the repair centre hadn't pinned down what the issue was and the lens is still displaying the same symptoms in certain filming scenarios.

So now I really can't accept my camera will need to go away yet again.... a third time for a camera that has only has 120 operational hours on it! Shocking quality control on Sony's behalf.

Nigel Davey
November 4th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Sony have contacted me today and I think this is going to end well.

Lee Berger
November 7th, 2016, 05:43 AM
Glad to hear your optimistic assessment Nigel. I sent mine to Sony last month to have the scroll wheel replaced. Fortunately it didn't come back with any new problems. Now I'm trying to train myself to use the handle joystick to save scroll wheel. I imagine that they just replaced the part from current stock and the issue could return with repeated usage.

Nigel Davey
November 7th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Yes Lee, I'm sure I've read this is an Achilles heel on the FS5 with quite a few folks reporting it in forums like this or on the FS5 FB groups.

But to be fair to Sony if they deliver on everything they've promised verbally I'll be in a better position than when I first purchased my FS5. But given the hassle I've had with it, it seems like a good compromise.... assuming no further quality issues.

Nigel Davey
December 13th, 2016, 06:55 AM
Well Sony/Prime support came through for me. I now have a brand new FS5 with a new 2 year warranty plus the raw unlock code. On balance, given the hassle I've been through with my FS5, that seems like a good outcome.

Well done Sony.