View Full Version : Computer audio in

Chris Harding
November 9th, 2016, 08:38 AM
I'm doing some corporate streaming of events/lectures where I'm ignoring the camera mics and going straight back to my XLR mixer and into the computer. The onboard sound card is really horrible so I was thinking of rather using a USB audio interface instead. Anyone using one of these for audio directly into the computer ???

Edward Carlson
November 9th, 2016, 10:41 AM
I have an old M-Audio MobilePre USB on my desk for playback and recording. My current favorite is the Focusrite Scarlett series. I have a couple 2i2 (that's two in, two out) on a touring show I work on.

Mervyn Jack
November 9th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Chris, I use a Lexicon Alpha and it works great and only AU $119.

But if you need phantom power go for the larger LexiconOmega which has more inputs and phantom power AU $329

Examples...

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/LEX-ALPHASTUDIO

https://:www.storedj.com.au/products/LEX-OMEGA

Chris Harding
November 9th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Thanks Guys

I'm sending mics in wirelessly to my XLR mixer so that already has phantom and level control so yes, a simple interface unit will work fine

Jay Massengill
November 9th, 2016, 07:40 PM
If your mixer has RCA connector -10db Tape Level stereo outputs, then you can't get much simpler than the Behringer UCA202 or UCA222.

As far as I know, the two models are identical except the 222 is red and comes with a software disc. The 202 is silver and since you don't really need software to use these devices you won't miss the lack of a disc. They are both $30 online in the US.

I've used several of them for hundreds of hours and never had a problem. I think the sound quality is very good. You can monitor the analog input directly from the built-in headphone mini jack with volume control.

2x input and 2x output, with switchable monitoring at the headphone jack and volume control, but no other controls or alternate types of connectors at other levels, just a simple interface.

Chris Harding
November 9th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Thanks Jay

My "mixer" at the moment is an active XLR adapter with 2 channels and I suspect it's not line output as it's designed to go into a camera mic input so I probably need a mic input rather than line input ... the adapter is a Saramonic AX7 and has a myriad of controls, levels, phantom power, peak indicators etc etc so probably a simple interface will do the job like the ones that look like a USB drive with a mic in and audio out 3.5mm on the end ...the Saramonic also has a headphone amp so I'm covered there too!

Jay Massengill
November 9th, 2016, 08:39 PM
I understand. I've only tried one interface of that style, shaped like a USB stick with two 3.5 mm in/out jacks.

It was a no-name item that sounded terrible. I know there are better ones available so search for good reviews for audio quality is my advice, but I'd still think it's riskier than adapting the connector to a better unit that has mic inputs.

If you find a good sounding interface of the type you've described let us know.

There are also complete USB small mixers with two XLR mic level jacks with phantom power, as well as other connections and controls if you need other sources patched in during breaks, for $80 or 4 XLR inputs for $100 and up.

If you're in a static, corporate event setting with a small table or cart, would that work instead of your camera-interface type "mixer"? It would also give you additional outputs and level control to connect to a backup audio recorder or other device that might benefit from clean sync sound versus just ambient pickup on the secondary device.

I know, I'm making it more complicated, but adapting from what is basically a BeachTek-style device would be pretty limiting to me unless you're transporting the absolute bare minimum kit.

Chris Harding
November 10th, 2016, 12:09 AM
Hi Jay

Yes, I think you are 100% correct!! Leave the XLR unit to use on my camera for conventional shoots and rather get a decent USB mixer that is an all-in-one unit ... It might need XLR inputs in case I get a feed from the venues sound desk but unless that happens I still need to feed two wireless receivers into the mixer and who knows ..I might have to do music feeds or a feed from elsewhere and that could be mic, line or XLR so best to be ready! I appreciate the advice ...Our local electronics store have the Chinese USB's with two sockets in the end at $9.95 so I would stay clear of that... I was looking at Creative Labs unit but after what you said a better mixer is the way to go!!

Chris Harding
November 10th, 2016, 07:35 AM
So something like this would work???

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/BEH-Q802USB

Jay Massengill
November 10th, 2016, 08:28 PM
Yes that would work as long as two XLR mic inputs are enough.

I could envision two wireless receivers for two presenters, an ambient mic for times in between presenters, and a headset announcer mic if you are conveying any updates or intro statements into the stream. Four XLR input units are the next step up in price, but the difference isn't usually too much.

The line inputs could bring in a house feed or an audio playback device.

You would have the USB output for the stream to the computer, the main and/or the tape outputs to feed a backup recorder, and the FX send to tap off a subset of inputs with separate volume control if you wanted to keep something out of that particular feed.

Again, as long as you have AC power and a flat space to set up, a small mixer like this is to me, a necessity.

Chris Harding
November 11th, 2016, 12:37 AM
Thanks again Jay

I went for the next model up as it has 4 x XLR inputs and 8 x line inputs ...The 8 channel was $149 and the 12 channel was $170 ... only $21 extra was worth the upgrade so that should work perfectly I think. I was interested in trying a $9.95 USB stick purely for interest but didn't see the point as you would still need a mixer anyway and why not get a USB mixer ... as you said the quality of those tiny 1/1 devices is probably suspect!!

Steven Digges
November 11th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Chris,

You made made a good choice staying away from those cheap adapters. Remember that any device with a 3.5 mm plug is going directly into the poor quality sound card on the lap top. Not a good way to go.

The audio forum has a ton of information on what video guys need when going into corporate AV events. I know of a couple of threads dedicated to what a video shooter shooter should have in his kit to get a house feed.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Chris Harding
November 11th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Thanks Steve

With all your experience anyone not taking your advice would be stupid!! Thanks why I love this forum!!

Yep, I decided not to even bother trying out the little USB device ..They are actually on eBay now for only $5.00 which should be telling a buyer what to expect!

Roger Gunkel
November 12th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Hi Chris,

I have been using an Alesis MTX8 multi mix for our live music shows for about 4 years. We use all 8 input channels and the master out goes to our PA system. In parallel with that, we often take a live feed out to record the full stereo mix to a pocket recorder to save using a laptop. The mixer also comes with software that enables the USB output to send a stereo mix to a laptop/PC or you can record all 8 tracks as separate recordings to remix later. You can even record an eight track and stereo recording at the same time.

I suppose there is no reason why you couldn't connect the main mixer LR outputs to a TX to send direct to a camera whilst still recording the USB or line outputs. There are a number of manufacturers that make similar spec mixers that you can find in online music and PA shops.

Roger

Donald McPherson
November 12th, 2016, 09:14 AM
I went for this "Behringer XENY 1002B Mixer" and it's battery operated so can take out in the field. But as usual it needs more than just the mixer to get it into the laptop. So I also need this "Behringer U-Phono UFO202 USB"

Jay Massengill
November 12th, 2016, 07:42 PM
The difference between the UFO202 and the UCA202 or UCA222 is the UFO has a switch to change the input RCA connectors from either phono preamp mode or line level. It also has a turntable ground lug.

The switch on the UCA202 and UCA222 changes the monitor mode for the built-in headphone jack.

Donald, do you need the phonograph preamp function of the UFO?

Chris Harding
November 12th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Dunno about Donald but all I really need for simple seminars is two XLR mic channels for my receivers. Any music sources can actually reside on the computer drive ..the big issue was getting a decent mixer SB interface back into the computer so the crappy sound card is bypassed. I'm using Livestream Studio so if I do an event that requires a remote camera away from the desk I can actually use my broadcaster on a HDMI camera which allows me wireless connection back to the desk .. in rare cases I can actually stream the camera back to their server and then bring it back into the computer as an event mic. We do have an interview mode too when we can bring a remote cam in from anywhere worldwide ... but for a single cam remote the Livestream Broadcaster unit that sits on the camera works very well whithout needing a "receiver" My mixer is the Q1202USB 8 channels plus 4 XLR mic channels (there are TRS line channels on each of the first 4 XLR's as well but you have to use one or the other. What would one need a Phono preamp for Jay ???

Jay Massengill
November 13th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Maybe Donald is webcasting vinyl records!?

Chris, have you considered using a small recorder that has USB interface capability as the USB link between your simple on-camera style mixer and the computer for cases when you can't use your new USB full mixer?

Some recorders have this ability, some don't. However, it would be a simple way to use your simple mixer, gaining backup recording capability and without buying an interface device that duplicates the XLR mic inputs you already have. The mini plug output of your simple mixer would connect to the stereo mini mic input of the recorder, then activate USB interface mode on the recorder after linking it to the computer.

I'm not sure which recorders other than the Zooms have this ability without doing some searching, and there are nice two-XLR mic interfaces that are lower cost than small recorders. However, it was an idea that has occurred to me while thinking of how to solve this with the smallest set of equipment.

Lastly, you could just try one of the better reviewed ultra-simple USB interfaces from Amazon. The medium priced ones with some extra features are cheap even with Prime, and thousands say they sound good. The one I tested was 5 years ago and maybe was defective.
All these devices have a "stereo" mic jack wiring because that's what will be plugged into them, but they really aren't stereo to allow you to keep your two XLR mics separated. Some people report being able to use two of these USB devices simultaneously in software, then you'd need a Y-cable to go from your camera-style XLR mixer to two of the simple USB devices.

Chris Harding
November 13th, 2016, 09:21 PM
Thanks Jay

The current mixer will work pretty well I think and the extra XLR channels could be very useful for desk feeds or remote handheld mics. The only occasional remote situation I have is wedding ceremonies out in a park and with those I usually don't have to worry about on screen graphics ..it's just a straight record of the 20 minute ceremony so I use an HDMI camera and my LiveStream Broadcaster which sends the video directly to the CDN server ..no switching and no edits ...If I have to use the software I can also set up a remote camera and pull it into the software and broadcast from that too. My current setup with the mixer and computer is designed for venue streaming where we always have power but I can also use the HDMI cam and broadcaster into the software if I need to move away from the mixing setup.

For those looking at a simple interface I see that Creative Labs make one which might be better than the really cheapie ones.

Chris Sebes
November 29th, 2016, 11:08 AM
When on the road, audio is sent into an analog console like a Mackie 1202 (usually audio comes already mixed, directly from the sound guy), then sent into our TriCaster 860 Extreme via XLR. The switched video and audio output gets sent over SDI to our streaming computer's Osprey 700HD capture card. This computer then spits out HD and SD streams to our CDN.

When in our studio, we have two desktop computers in our control room that we use for Skype. We use two of the Behringer UPHONO UFO202 boxes. This allows us to set up and mix discreet audio to and from the computers to our Presonus 24-4-2 console. Personally I use one on my PC at home to greatly reduce noise entering my FM transmitter when listening to music around the house.

I hope this helps.

Chris Sebes
Senior Video Editor
MediaMixStudios (http://www.MediaMixStudios.com)