View Full Version : Is the FZ2000 the answer for wildlife video?

Pages : [1] 2

Larry Johnson
November 22nd, 2016, 05:21 PM
I feel like I've learned a great deal about video and video cameras in the past couple of months, but I know I'm still ignorant about a lot of things regarding videography and video cameras. I've been searching for a camera or camcorder for wildlife cinematography, exclusively, not for stills. Someone on another forum suggested that I consider the FZ2000 (and Sony 10 III) for my venture into filming. If the FZ2000 does what they are saying, will it be an "extremely good" camera for a serious wildlife cinematographer who wants to record production(?) quality (not just YoutTube or home video) footage, as well as audio?

I have a few years experience shooting stills and a couple attempts at video with a canon 7Dii (APSC) and 160-640 lens (100-400 nominal). My first impression of the pending FZ2000 was that the 480mm zoom wouldn't be long enough for wildlife shooting, but then I learned about intellegent Zoom, which would give me enough reach, not sure about quality out to 800-900mm. The built-in ND filters would be great. The variable ND filter on my canon was a pain, even for the short time that I used it.

Quality audio is also important to me. Does that mean I need a camera with XLR connection, or can it be upgraded through other hardware.

Chris Harding
November 22nd, 2016, 06:01 PM
Hi Larry
In the USA it's actually the FZ2500 and it's a great camera but not really what you want. There are no real shortcuts to filming wildlife and you probably need at least a 600 mm lens not digital/intelligent zoom but actual optical focal length. I can take my FZ1000's right out to 1600mm if I turn on the digital and intelligent zoom and the image is pretty good but if you are looking at doing broadcaster stuff then you have no option but to buy a "correct" wildlife lens and body to suit .... There are really no easy shortcuts and if you want to maybe sell your footage then you have no option but the spend to $20K needed for proper lenses and audio.

Larry Johnson
November 22nd, 2016, 08:17 PM
Thanks Chris. Yeah, I'm not going to be able to swing that $20K just yet, so what would be the next step down from a broadcast camera and where does the FZ2500 fall in the lineup.
And just out of curiosity, what's a good lower-end example of a "proper" broadcast camera and lens for wildlife.

Chris Harding
November 22nd, 2016, 10:36 PM
Hi Larry

The 4K mode of the FZ1000 (we are patiently waiting for the 2500 here still. It's truly outstanding even at full optical zoom and the much higher bitrates of the newer camera would certainly put it in the broadcast category! To be honest I have never compared super zoom footage with standard footage (480mm zoom vs 1600mm) but there is bound to be some degradation. However it depends what you are looking for an whether you will always need a crazy zoom length? I have seen people shoot a DSLR on a 600mm lens which is only a tad higher than the optical range of the 2500 and with 4K shoots at 200mbps you can technically crop the image back to 1080P and get a 4:4:4 image which is in theory, lossless. That's worth thing about! I use an XLR two channel adaptor on my current FZ1000's and they work really well and give you pristine audio. The low price of the new model (plus a couple of $$$ for an adaptor makes it a good package for a wildlife shoot. If you shoot in 4K you just might be surprised. The image quality is outstanding compared with any other cameras I have ever used. Leica optics are hard to beat!!! Shoot in 4K and crop so you can achieve a zoom of 1600 and you will get a stunning image at a low price point!! I already have one on order to join my two FZ1000's ....take a look at a few YouTube videos by searching for FZ1000 - 4K

Here is one that shows you the image sharpness

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 1000 4K IMAGE STABILIZATION test - YouTube

Roger Gunkel
November 23rd, 2016, 04:51 AM
Something like the FZ2000/2500 or Sony equivalent would be ideal for you to start getting experience of filming wildlife, but more importantly for you, filming generally. Wildlife filming is not all about big telephoto lenses, it is about waiting patiently for hours or even days, hidden away for a few seconds of filming opportunity. Wildlife filming can be macro shooting of small creatures from a few inches away as well distant telephoto shots of lions and tigers.

There have been some great wildlife programmes about neighborhood and garden wildlife and that could be a great starting point for learning the basics. Get something like the above cameras and get yourself down to the local park or out in the countryside and start getting a hang of what you are wanting to do.

There is not really such a thing as a 'Bottom End' broadcast camera, as any commonly used camera for serious documentary work is going to be a financial world apart from consumer cameras. The most expensive part is the lenses, which for top quality work will run into many thousands of dollars. Of course with the right footage and circumstances, mobile phone footage can be broadcast. I will also say what I have mentioned before on one of your other threads, that serious wildlife filming is not about having a 'broadcast' camera, it is about experience. That is something that you can only get by doing it and watching or working with others that already have that experience. Get an affordable camera, start gaining that experience and learning all the basic techniques before getting too ambitious.

Roger

Ronald Jackson
November 23rd, 2016, 05:30 AM
I sold some of these clips to a TV company for broadcast in the UK. Not a lot, and not to the BBC. (I'm strictlyish amateur.)

With my FZ1000 and an external mike and from a public hide. FZ "extra zoom" rather noisy in lowish light conditions in my experience but very handy.

FZ complements my GH4 with longer lenses. FZ good when portability is an issue.

Noticed on TV a Planet Earth II cameraman using a Sony DSLR with a short zoom and no support rig. Mind he was hanging off a paraglider while whooshing down the side of a snow covered mountain in the Alps.
Earth II filmed in 4K (mainly via "REDs" and Canon lenses) but unfortunately only transmitted in HD, 1080i it said on my telly.

https://youtu.be/GJRr2vSPJDA

Larry Johnson
November 23rd, 2016, 11:07 AM
Hi Larry

The 4K mode of the FZ1000 (we are patiently waiting for the 2500 here still. It's truly outstanding even at full optical zoom and the much higher bitrates of the newer camera would certainly put it in the broadcast category!

Something like the FZ2000/2500 or Sony equivalent would be ideal for you to start getting experience of filming wildlife, but more importantly for you, filming generally. Wildlife filming is not all about big telephoto lenses, it is about waiting patiently for hours or even days, hidden away for a few seconds of filming opportunity. Wildlife filming can be macro shooting of small creatures from a few inches away as well distant telephoto shots of lions and tigers.

There have been some great wildlife programmes about neighborhood and garden wildlife and that could be a great starting point for learning the basics. Get something like the above cameras and get yourself down to the local park or out in the countryside and start getting a hang of what you are wanting to do.

There is not really such a thing as a 'Bottom End' broadcast camera, as any commonly used camera for serious documentary work is going to be a financial world apart from consumer cameras. The most expensive part is the lenses, which for top quality work will run into many thousands of dollars. Of course with the right footage and circumstances, mobile phone footage can be broadcast. I will also say what I have mentioned before on one of your other threads, that serious wildlife filming is not about having a 'broadcast' camera, it is about experience. That is something that you can only get by doing it and watching or working with others that already have that experience. Get an affordable camera, start gaining that experience and learning all the basic techniques before getting too ambitious.

Roger

I sold some of these clips to a TV company for broadcast in the UK. Not a lot, and not to the BBC. (I'm strictlyish amateur.)

With my FZ1000 and an external mike and from a public hide. FZ "extra zoom" rather noisy in lowish light conditions in my experience but very handy.

FZ complements my GH4 with longer lenses. FZ good when portability is an issue.

Noticed on TV a Planet Earth II cameraman using a Sony DSLR with a short zoom and no support rig. Mind he was hanging off a paraglider while whooshing down the side of a snow covered mountain in the Alps.
Earth II filmed in 4K (mainly via "REDs" and Canon lenses) but unfortunately only transmitted in HD, 1080i it said on my telly.

https://youtu.be/GJRr2vSPJDA

Thank you all for responding. I do appreciate it.

Chris, I was completely confused by your reply because it seems to contradict your initial reply which, to me, suggests that the FZ2500 won't be considered a broadcast camera. After reading it several times, I concluded that it's still at the top of my list, for now.

Roger, Dude, I don't know where to start. I recall reading your previous post in one of my other threads. I believe that I purposely didn't reply to it. I'm sure you meant well and wanted to provide the best advice you could, but it comes across as insulting. Sure, I'm new to (today's) video cameras, but I'm not new to getting close to wildlife. If you had focused your reply more about the camera and its features than about me and my presumed lack of talent or expertise, I wouldn't have found it so insulting. I know how to get close to wildlife. I know what it takes. I have a degree in wildlife resources and I've spent many years hunting. I've only recently been using a DLSR for stills. Here's a link to my flickr page. https://www.flickr.com/photos/117800205@N05/ And here's a link to one of the few short clips that I recently made with my canon 7Dii. I don't yet have editing software. Juvenile Bald Eagle in Flight - 1080p60 (T08A4438EagleBIF-1) on Vimeo .
Ronald, what focal length lens do you use on your GH4. Nice to hear that someone is selling footage. I too hope to do so at some point.

Roger Gunkel
November 23rd, 2016, 05:22 PM
HI Larry,

My sincere apologies if you feel insulted by my replies as it certainly wasn't my intention. I would say that your previous threads have been very lacking in information about your experience in the field you are talking about. That together with coming straight in with some very basic questions whilst stating an aim to produce high level wildlife video to National Geographic standards, doesn't really give a great starting point for balanced answers.

Now that you are being much clearer with your experience, then it will be much easier not to inadvertently make you feel insulted while hopefully helping you to collect relevant information.

Like the footage by the way :-)

Roger

Noa Put
November 23rd, 2016, 06:00 PM
Chris, I was completely confused by your reply because it seems to contradict your initial reply which, to me, suggests that the FZ2500 won't be considered a broadcast camera.

The fz2500 is, and I quote: "a hybrid camera choice for the advanced 4K video enthusiast and photography enthusiast alike."

It's a versatile hybrid camera but it's not a broadcast camera, this is a broadcast camera: https://www.google.be/search?q=broadcast+camera&espv=2&biw=1664&bih=930&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjOs-PdjsDQAhXCUBQKHdWgCHAQ_AUICCgB

My guess is that you just want the best camera for your purpose for the lowest price possible and there is nothing wrong with that, the fz2500 seems to fit that description, you even might get the fz1000 as it's half the price of the fz2500 right now, with Roger and Chris you also have got 2 experts who can give you advice when it comes to all ins and outs of that particular camera.

Chris Harding
November 23rd, 2016, 07:42 PM
I have known Roger for quite a while and I can assure you that he certainly wouldn't insult anyone here on purpose. To be honest your original post does indicate that you are new to filming wildlife and are looking for advice which Roger did provide.

I think the term "broadcast" has changed in meaning quite a lot in the last few years ...videographers with MiniDV cameras that shot HDV format were claiming "broadcast quality" and with cameras shortly being able to produce 8K the terminology is blurred so it's much better as Noa points out, to only refer to a broadcast camera as one that high end TV studios might use and obviously way, way, out of our price brackets.

Larry Johnson
November 23rd, 2016, 08:23 PM
HI Larry,

My sincere apologies if you feel insulted by my replies as it certainly wasn't my intention. I would say that your previous threads have been very lacking in information about your experience in the field you are talking about. That together with coming straight in with some very basic questions whilst stating an aim to produce high level wildlife video to National Geographic standards, doesn't really give a great starting point for balanced answers.

Now that you are being much clearer with your experience, then it will be much easier not to inadvertently make you feel insulted while hopefully helping you to collect relevant information.

Like the footage by the way :-)

Roger

No worries, Roger. I know you didn't intend to insult. I guess I just get frustrated when people try to fit a camera to a person based on the operators presumed experience level. In my mind, a person's experience has no bearing on the specs of a camera and its potential uses.

The fz2500 is, and I quote: "a hybrid camera choice for the advanced 4K video enthusiast and photography enthusiast alike."

It's a versatile hybrid camera but it's not a broadcast camera, this is a broadcast camera: https://www.google.be/search?q=broadcast+camera&espv=2&biw=1664&bih=930&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjOs-PdjsDQAhXCUBQKHdWgCHAQ_AUICCgB

My guess is that you just want the best camera for your purpose for the lowest price possible and there is nothing wrong with that, the fz2500 seems to fit that description, you even might get the fz1000 as it's half the price of the fz2500 right now, with Roger and Chris you also have got 2 experts who can give you advice when it comes to all ins and outs of that particular camera.

You hit the nail on the head, Noa. I'd rather wait for the FZ2500 than get a used FX1000.

I have known Roger for quite a while and I can assure you that he certainly wouldn't insult anyone here on purpose. To be honest your original post does indicate that you are new to filming wildlife and are looking for advice which Roger did provide.

I think the term "broadcast" has changed in meaning quite a lot in the last few years ...videographers with MiniDV cameras that shot HDV format were claiming "broadcast quality" and with cameras shortly being able to produce 8K the terminology is blurred so it's much better as Noa points out, to only refer to a broadcast camera as one that high end TV studios might use and obviously way, way, out of our price brackets.

I don't really know that I'm looking for a broadcast camera, I don't really know what that means either. I just want to record in a format that is compliant with as many broadcasters(?) as possible so that if I get really lucky, I might sell some footage. I'm anxiously awaiting real world reviews of the FZ2500.

Chris Harding
November 23rd, 2016, 09:40 PM
Our supplier here has indicated late November for the FZ2500 delivery so if they live up to their promises I'm happy to do a review for you. There are already some pre-delivery reviews of course which look good but based on the FZ1000 which I have used daily for the last 18 months the new cam should be awesome with added ND filters and some neat zoom features too, plus of course much higher bitrates. To be honest the 4K mode of the FZ1000 blew me away so the 2500 can only be better I feel. If it helps I can easily do a comparison test for you with the FZ1000 using optical zoom only (400mm) and then intelligent/digital (up to 1600mm) so you can see at extreme zooms what the degradation is?

OK Just did a test with the FZ1000 ... a lot of heat haze here today but in 4K the camera zooms to nearly 2400mm!!! The image seems pristine using intelligent zoom but there is some degradation when to get over 1600mm and it kicks into digital zoom but I had tree trunks maybe 600 feet away sharp as a tack ... but you do get some noise higher than 1600mm

Chris Harding
November 23rd, 2016, 10:12 PM
Worth a watch since it's a wildlife shoot in 4K with various zoom factors

Zebramangusten / Banded Mongooses / Intelligent Zoom / Lumix FZ1000 / 4K - YouTube

Noa Put
November 24th, 2016, 01:45 AM
You hit the nail on the head, Noa. I'd rather wait for the FZ2500 than get a used FX1000.

I was not referring to a used fz1000, the price of a new fz1000 is currently half the introductory price of a fz2500, at least in europe it is. If you don't know what broadcastcodec you will be supplying your footage in the future I would just use a codec that has the highest bitrate, either in HD or 4K and afterwards convert your footage to the requested codec.

Roger Gunkel
November 24th, 2016, 05:02 AM
The FZ2500 will certainly add some improvements over the FZ1000, but I believe that the FZ1000 is to be kept in production alongside the newer camera. As Noa pointed out the FZ2500 will be around double the price.

The differences will be covering some of the gaps in the FZ1000, so there will be slower zoom options, built in ND filters, a headphone output, unlimited recording time and slightly increased zoom range. As I already have two FZ1000s, I won't be replacing them as I am delighted with them but will be adding a FZ2000/2500 because I need another camera and it is a logical progression. Also as much of my filming is for continuous sequences longer than 30mins, it will remove the need to fill short gaps.

If you don't mind waiting for the FZ2000/2500 and don't mind paying the premium for a newly introduced camera, then I am sure that you will be delighted, However, the improvements, although useful, are an upgrade and there are always newer and better specified cameras just around the corner. If the cost is a consideration, then I seriously doubt that you will lose any noticeable quality with as FZ1000. Much of the camera including the imaging chip and most of the internals will be the same as the new camera and many of the new camera features are not difficult to implement on the old one. A variable ND filter takes a few seconds to attach, audio monitoring is available visually with onscreen level meters, the difference in zoom is minimal and the 30min continuous filming limit is normal in just about every other camera of the type, both bridge and dslr. You also still have the very good wireless remote control and monitoring facility on the FZ1000 which could be very useful for wildlife work.

You could certainly get a good price on a new FZ1000 now and if you decide that you want an FZ2000/2500 in a few months when they have been in the hands of users for a while, then the FZ1000 seems to be maintaining a very good used sales price, by which time you will be fully familiar with the use of the Panasonic, which will be basically the same on both cams.

Roger

Pat Reddy
November 24th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Hi Larry,

I have goals similar to yours. In the last several years, I have sold several clips of stock wildlife footage for use in broadcast and other contexts. The most recent sale was a clip of a rattlesnake shot with a hacked GH2, a dumb adaptor, Canon 300 F4 IS lens, and a Canon close up lens. I earned $1200 for the clip, and the camera setup certainly did not meet BBC or EBU standards for a primary camera. Prior to that, my sold footage was captured with a Sony prosumer camera (HC7).

As others have already said, if you want to shoot footage with a camera that meets the highest broadcast standards you will have to spend a lot of money and start going to the gym so you can carry the heavy equipment into rough terrain. The people who film for BBC and Nat Geo productions are away from home for weeks or months and have to manage a great deal of equipment in hostile environments. This is not something I can do or want to do.

If you are producing occasional stock footage for sale, getting interesting shots is more important than meeting the highest broadcast quality standards with your equipment. (Broadcast productions will use clips of really interesting footage here and there, even when they do not conform to BBC or EBU standards). For me this means having affordable and lightweight equipment. It has to be equipment that I enjoy using and that I will actually take with me when I am out in nature. Also, there are many broadcast venues out there, and not all of them worry about BBC or EBU standards.

You want a good camera, but 90% of your work will be finding the shots and developing your craft as a videographer. I have recently considered the FZ2500. It looks like a great camera. With an external recorder it gets a bit closer to broadcast standards with 10 bit 4:2:2 footage at high bit rate recording.

HDR standards are the latest thing to emerge, and I think these require 10 bit, 4:2:2, and 14 stops of dynamic range. I have considered getting a Sony FS7 or Black Magic camera to meet these standards. These systems are expensive and bulky solutions to what I do, and I would not get out as often. My current solution is the Fuji XT2 and a Fuji 100-400 IS lens with teleconverter (on order). Given the 4K crop factor, this would give me about a 950 mm reach in a relatively lightweight weather-resistant package with 12 stops dynamic range and the nice Fuji film emulations ($3500 to $4500 for the package). This system falls short of many high-end standards, but it will allow me to have fun and get to my subjects.

So I think you are on the right track. You will have to find a compromise that suits you and makes this endeavour fun for you. The FZ2500 might be a great option.

Cheers

Pat

Larry Johnson
November 24th, 2016, 09:42 AM
I was not referring to a used fz1000, the price of a new fz1000 is currently half the introductory price of a fz2500, at least in europe it is. If you don't know what broadcastcodec you will be supplying your footage in the future I would just use a codec that has the highest bitrate, either in HD or 4K and afterwards convert your footage to the requested codec.

The FZ2500 will certainly add some improvements over the FZ1000, but I believe that the FZ1000 is to be kept in production alongside the newer camera. As Noa pointed out the FZ2500 will be around double the price.

The differences will be covering some of the gaps in the FZ1000, so there will be slower zoom options, built in ND filters, a headphone output, unlimited recording time and slightly increased zoom range. As I already have two FZ1000s, I won't be replacing them as I am delighted with them but will be adding a FZ2000/2500 because I need another camera and it is a logical progression. Also as much of my filming is for continuous sequences longer than 30mins, it will remove the need to fill short gaps.

If you don't mind waiting for the FZ2000/2500 and don't mind paying the premium for a newly introduced camera, then I am sure that you will be delighted, However, the improvements, although useful, are an upgrade and there are always newer and better specified cameras just around the corner. If the cost is a consideration, then I seriously doubt that you will lose any noticeable quality with as FZ1000. Much of the camera including the imaging chip and most of the internals will be the same as the new camera and many of the new camera features are not difficult to implement on the old one. A variable ND filter takes a few seconds to attach, audio monitoring is available visually with onscreen level meters, the difference in zoom is minimal and the 30min continuous filming limit is normal in just about every other camera of the type, both bridge and dslr. You also still have the very good wireless remote control and monitoring facility on the FZ1000 which could be very useful for wildlife work.

You could certainly get a good price on a new FZ1000 now and if you decide that you want an FZ2000/2500 in a few months when they have been in the hands of users for a while, then the FZ1000 seems to be maintaining a very good used sales price, by which time you will be fully familiar with the use of the Panasonic, which will be basically the same on both cams.

Roger

The FZ1000 is half price here in the states too and on sale for $500 at Best Buy. It's very tempting. I even looked for a Black Friday sale which is tomororrow (i.e. the day after our Thanksgiving). I think I'll wait just a bit. I would rather pay more and get a camera that has more of the features that I'm looking looking for.
I came across the Panasonc HC-X1000. I've only looked at one review so far. Don't think it's what I need. It is more of the style camera that I expected to be using. The learning curve would be higher with that style, but that's ok with me.

Chris Harding
November 24th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Hi Larry

I have a feeling the XC-1000 will disappoint you ..on the FZ1000 group it isn't very well received as an alternative at all. Just mentioning it! However make up your own mind !

Also if you need 4:2:2 footage at 1080 all you do is shoot at 4K and downsize to 1080 and the chroma sub sampling will supply you with 4:2:2

Our delivery has just been amended from end November to mid December - Bummer!!!

Noa Put
November 24th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Our delivery has just been amended from end November to mid December - Bummer!!!

Panasonic seems to have issues with delivering their newest camera additions, I have ordered a g80 from cvp in the uk on 13 oct and expected delivery is still 4 to 6 weeks away according to their website, too bad as I wanted to use the camera on a wedding beginning december.

Larry Johnson
November 24th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Hi Larry,

I have goals similar to yours. In the last several years, I have sold several clips of stock wildlife footage for use in broadcast and other contexts. The most recent sale was a clip of a rattlesnake shot with a hacked GH2, a dumb adaptor, Canon 300 F4 IS lens, and a Canon close up lens. I earned $1200 for the clip, and the camera setup certainly did not meet BBC or EBU standards for a primary camera. Prior to that, my sold footage was captured with a Sony prosumer camera (HC7).

As others have already said, if you want to shoot footage with a camera that meets the highest broadcast standards you will have to spend a lot of money and start going to the gym so you can carry the heavy equipment into rough terrain. The people who film for BBC and Nat Geo productions are away from home for weeks or months and have to manage a great deal of equipment in hostile environments. This is not something I can do or want to do.

If you are producing occasional stock footage for sale, getting interesting shots is more important than meeting the highest broadcast quality standards with your equipment. (Broadcast productions will use clips of really interesting footage here and there, even when they do not conform to BBC or EBU standards). For me this means having affordable and lightweight equipment. It has to be equipment that I enjoy using and that I will actually take with me when I am out in nature. Also, there are many broadcast venues out there, and not all of them worry about BBC or EBU standards.

You want a good camera, but 90% of your work will be finding the shots and developing your craft as a videographer. I have recently considered the FZ2500. It looks like a great camera. With an external recorder it gets a bit closer to broadcast standards with 10 bit 4:2:2 footage at high bit rate recording.

HDR standards are the latest thing to emerge, and I think these require 10 bit, 4:2:2, and 14 stops of dynamic range. I have considered getting a Sony FS7 or Black Magic camera to meet these standards. These systems are expensive and bulky solutions to what I do, and I would not get out as often. My current solution is the Fuji XT2 and a Fuji 100-400 IS lens with teleconverter (on order). Given the 4K crop factor, this would give me about a 950 mm reach in a relatively lightweight weather-resistant package with 12 stops dynamic range and the nice Fuji film emulations ($3500 to $4500 for the package). This system falls short of many high-end standards, but it will allow me to have fun and get to my subjects.

So I think you are on the right track. You will have to find a compromise that suits you and makes this endeavour fun for you. The FZ2500 might be a great option.

Cheers

Pat

Hey Pat,

Congratulation on selling some clips. That's awesome to hear. Definately one of my goals. I think I'd have a better chance doing so with video than with stills. Just too many people making stellar photographs and many giving them away.

Why a Fuji instead of a GH4?

Great info about the various broadcast standards. Thanks.

Steve Burkett
November 25th, 2016, 05:55 AM
Panasonic seems to have issues with delivering their newest camera additions, I have ordered a g80 from cvp in the uk on 13 oct and expected delivery is still 4 to 6 weeks away according to their website, too bad as I wanted to use the camera on a wedding beginning december.

Might be grateful for the delay; gives Panasonic a chance to release a firmware update to fix the stabiliser bug. IS is definitely better than the GX80 when kept still but try panning and it sticks and judders.

Steve Burkett
November 25th, 2016, 05:59 AM
Hey Pat,

Why a Fuji instead of a GH4?

This article goes on about the Fuji:

Shooting with the Fuji X-T2 in Italy - Samsung NX1 and Sony A6300 beater? - EOSHD (http://www.eoshd.com/2016/11/shooting-fuji-x-t2-italy-samsung-nx1-sony-a6300-beater/)

You might want to hold out on the GH5 as that has 4:2:2 10 bit 4K internal, though not clear on the bitrate. Could well be a game changer if it delivers on its promise.

Pat Reddy
November 25th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Hi Larry and Steve,

I just sold my GH4 last week. I was never super happy with the apparent resolution, colors, dynamic range and lens options. I have used it with a dumb adaptor and a Canon 300 F4 with 1.4 teleconverter. This gives you a very long effective focal range, but I had to use the GH4 on a tripod.

I have been shooting primarily with an A7r2, landscape and nature stills. I am not a fan of Sony colors. The A7R2 has fantastic 4k in super 35 mode, but there is significant rolling shutter, and I just do not want to deal with it anymore. I need a second camera with good weather sealing that can excel at both stills and 4k. The XT2 has a 24 MP sensor compared with the 16 MP of the GH4. It has better dynamic range and low light capabilities. The Fuji 100-400 with IS is awesome, and can apparently give you smooth 4K handheld - based on some clips online.

I have considered the GH5 which should be an incredible camera, 4k at 10 bits with 422 internally, IBIS, etc. But there are uncertainties about how good the weather sealing will be. I might get one anyway, but I do not want to wait 4 months or so to start shooting.

My PC is getting a little old, and I have never mastered Premier Pro. With the very nice Fuji film emulations on the XT2 I hope to cut down on the amount of post processing I have to do. One of the target markets I will look at next year is 4K nature footage for office, hotel, and medical office signage - a growing market. Such footage will not need to withstand the multiple rendering steps that can enhance the flaws in non broadcast quality footage used in a TV production.

So that sums up why the XT2 is my current option.

Pat

Pat Reddy
November 25th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Here is an interesting comparison of the XT2 versus the A7sII for 4K:

https://www.cinema5d.com/fujifilm-xt2-vs-sony-a7s-ii-best-mirrorless-video-camera/

With the latest firmware, the XT2 gives you 12 stops of dynamic range by adjusting settings in the film emulations.

Pat

Mike Griffiths
November 27th, 2016, 11:49 PM
Hi Larry

The 4K mode of the FZ1000 (we are patiently waiting for the 2500 here still. It's truly outstanding even at full optical zoom and the much higher bitrates of the newer camera would certainly put it in the broadcast category! To be honest I have never compared super zoom footage with standard footage (480mm zoom vs 1600mm) but there is bound to be some degradation. However it depends what you are looking for an whether you will always need a crazy zoom length? I have seen people shoot a DSLR on a 600mm lens which is only a tad higher than the optical range of the 2500 and with 4K shoots at 200mbps you can technically crop the image back to 1080P and get a 4:4:4 image which is in theory, lossless. That's worth thing about! I use an XLR two channel adaptor on my current FZ1000's and they work really well and give you pristine audio. The low price of the new model (plus a couple of $$$ for an adaptor makes it a good package for a wildlife shoot. If you shoot in 4K you just might be surprised. The image quality is outstanding compared with any other cameras I have ever used. Leica optics are hard to beat!!! Shoot in 4K and crop so you can achieve a zoom of 1600 and you will get a stunning image at a low price point!! I already have one on order to join my two FZ1000's ....take a look at a few YouTube videos by searching for FZ1000 - 4K

Hi Chris, I'm thinking of the FZ2500, but I don't know what a 'dumb adaptor' is. I've got XLR mics going into a X70 directly. If I get the FZ2500 what adaptor do I need, i can't find anything on B+H

Here is one that shows you the image sharpness

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 1000 4K IMAGE STABILIZATION test - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFy1rK98Kus)

Hi Chris, I'm thinking of the FZ2500, but I don't know what a 'dumb adaptor' is. I've got XLR mics going into a X70 directly. If I get the FZ2500 what adaptor do I need, i can't find anything on B+H

Chris Harding
November 28th, 2016, 12:47 AM
Hey Mike

I am assuming that the 2500 will have the usual 3.5mm stereo mic input ? I have a Saramonic 107 which gives me two totally controllable XLR channels .. It sits on the tripod and the camera sits on top BeachTek also make a bunch of units but they are a bit pricier!!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1163625-REG/indipro_tools_saramonic_sr_ax107_2_channel_xlr.html

Mike Griffiths
November 29th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Thanks Chris. BTW my daughter is coming out to visit me in Thailand on 16th December from Perth WA and I hope she brings me a spanking new FZ2500 with her!

Chris Harding
November 29th, 2016, 06:45 PM
I certainly hope so Mike!

The delivery date started of as late September, then moved to end of October, then November, then end of November and now mid December ....I'm not very optimistic about getting a "your camera is ready to pick up" on the 15th December but I guess we can live in hope! I have a live broadcast to shoot on the beach on 1st January 2017 and my FZ1000's have damaged HDMI ports so I will be in deep doo if they don't arrive by then!!

Jack Walsh
November 29th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Was hoping you d have done a review by now Chris!
I would be a bit anxious by now if I were you..

Chris Harding
November 29th, 2016, 10:57 PM
I checked with B&H in New York and they also have the arrival date noted as mid-December so it seems it's not only Australia! I still have my two FZ1000's so I can still do events. If I get a remote location wedding that needs to be live broadcast, I'll simply film it on card, rush home and upload to the CDN as a "delayed broadcast" ... Already did that once last month!! I can do a delayed broadcast via LiveStream Studio Software on the computer.

Ronald Jackson
November 30th, 2016, 01:33 AM
"In stock" at several UK retailers. Wouldn't this be the same version as in Oz?

Ron

Chris Harding
November 30th, 2016, 05:28 AM
Hi Ronald

It seems like we are getting the FZ2500 and only Europe and the UK are getting the 2000. Maybe it's something to do with time limits?? AFAIK both models have eliminated the 29 minute clip limit?

If they are identical then why make 2 models???

Mike Griffiths
November 30th, 2016, 11:32 PM
Now in stock at Adorama US but not B+H. Should get washed up on the shores of Western Australia soon

Chris Harding
December 1st, 2016, 02:20 AM
We have a few dealers here that also advertise "in stock" and when you click on "BUY" you get a message saying the item will be shipped mid December!!

I have paid a pre-order amount from my local guy so I'll wait patiently!!!

Bruce Stenman
December 1st, 2016, 02:26 PM
Putting together a kit for wildlife videos can be like jumping into the deep end of the pool to learn to swim (or the ocean). You don't know what you do not know.

There are magnificent videos that have been done of very small animals and insects that require far less in terms of video and audio recording equipment. There have also been some interesting videos that have sound from both above and below the water and you can buy excellent hydrophones for under $200 and mate them with relatively inexpensive ambient mics or something like the BP4029.

Lucas has said that half of the value of a movie is in the sound and at least with his films that is definitely true. I see too many wildlife films where the sound sucks and I see golden opportunities missed.

Even pros will invest in time to get as close as possible to their subjects and work from a blind. This also reduces the lens magnification required and works better in low light conditions.

Steve Siegel
December 2nd, 2016, 01:13 PM
I was so happy to see this thread. At last, someone has advice for a new "wildlife-useable" camera. Not to be. Larry, your question about what is a good wildlife camera has a couple of answers. If you are only doing big creatures, or nearby creatures, the Panasonic Lumix instruments are fine. If you want to get your reach by digiscoping, the GH4 is the standard in the field. You can do small birds and other things that hold still pretty much.

But if you want a long reach with the ability to use any lens you want, good audio, a viewfinder that works in any light, and a machine dedicated to video, there are very few choices, and they are all very old, because reach requires a small sensor, and no one is making professional, affordable camcorders with them right now. The best available is the Sony PMW-300 ($7,000 or so). It only shoots HD, but records 422 at 50mB/s, and can shoot at 60fps for reasonable, but not great,slow motion.

I hope someone comes up with something better soon.

Larry Johnson
December 2nd, 2016, 07:24 PM
I was so happy to see this thread. At last, someone has advice for a new "wildlife-useable" camera. Not to be. Larry, your question about what is a good wildlife camera has a couple of answers. If you are only doing big creatures, or nearby creatures, the Panasonic Lumix instruments are fine. If you want to get your reach by digiscoping, the GH4 is the standard in the field. You can do small birds and other things that hold still pretty much.

But if you want a long reach with the ability to use any lens you want, good audio, a viewfinder that works in any light, and a machine dedicated to video, there are very few choices, and they are all very old, because reach requires a small sensor, and no one is making professional, affordable camcorders with them right now. The best available is the Sony PMW-300 ($7,000 or so). It only shoots HD, but records 422 at 50mB/s, and can shoot at 60fps for reasonable, but not great,slow motion.

I hope someone comes up with something better soon.

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I realize that it may not have the reach that I was hoping for, but there are too many other features about the camera that are appealing, so it still at the top of my list. I expect I'll be buying one this winter. The waterfowl are already here. Yes, to me, wildlife means birds and mammals.

One reviewer of the 2500 mentioned that it is the GH4's little brother. I don't quite understand what you mean by digiscoping. My understaning of digiscoping is adding an SLR to a spoting scope. I tried that in the 1990s with a minolta and celestron. It sucked. I don't expect to record all scenes from a long distance, but I do want to have the capability to get that one brief scene of a zoom-in on the subject from a distance. I think the 2500 will be up to the task.

Steve Siegel
December 2nd, 2016, 09:10 PM
Yes, digiscoping is adding a camera to a spotting scope, just as you said. In recent years the techniques have improved in the hands of some very talented people. New adapters have made actual video easy.
The impediments you encountered in the 1990s, however, persist in diminished form. I do not use the method. When you buy your camera, please remember to save some money for the best video head you can afford. It will make a huge difference in your shots, and quality is proportional to price.

Larry Johnson
December 3rd, 2016, 06:27 AM
I have a manfrotto 502 head on my old bogen 3021 tripod with a small leveling base between. Seems fine with a canon 7D ii and 100-400mm. Thought I do get shaky video when hand is on panning bar and lens extended and len image stabilizer off. Would expect better results with 2500.

Mark Williams
December 3rd, 2016, 07:33 AM
Yes, digiscoping is adding a camera to a spotting scope, just as you said. In recent years the techniques have improved in the hands of some very talented people. New adapters have made actual video easy.
The impediments you encountered in the 1990s, however, persist in diminished form. I do not use the method. When you buy your camera, please remember to save some money for the best video head you can afford. It will make a huge difference in your shots, and quality is proportional to price.

This lady does digiscoping and produces some really nice videos. https://vimeo.com/h2otara/videos

Steve Siegel
December 3rd, 2016, 07:53 PM
She is just about the best there is, and has a world-wide reputation. She uses a GH4 and a Swarovski scope. She owns a swamp and many species of birds are found pretty much in her backyard.

Larry Johnson
December 4th, 2016, 08:45 AM
She owns a swamp...

On my list.

Mike Griffiths
December 20th, 2016, 04:29 AM
My daughter got me the only FZ2500 in Perth a few days ago ( sorry Chris)] It's really outstanding but for this thread it seems there is a 40 x zoom available but only for 8 mb files, if this is all you want then you can't ask for more at this price or any other! I've not tested it but they claim no deterioration in quality. so far I'm really impressed by this camera, exceeding my expectations but I need to spend more time finding out what it's capable of.

Chris Harding
December 20th, 2016, 04:37 AM
Hi Mike

I cursed under my breath but on the outside I'm happy for you!! Yeah it's very frustrating indeed ..I put my order in end of September and still waiting. Someone has now said we will only get them in mid January!!

I was thinking about just getting another FZ1000 to carry me over until they arrive and they ALSO are out of stock and expected in mid January so I might as well just wait!! I could have bought one from the USA but our exchange rate is really poor at the moment (72c to the US$) so I will hang in there!

Enjoy your camera and don't be afraid to put up your comments too once you have used it a bit!!

Ron Evans
December 20th, 2016, 07:12 AM
It appears that the FZ2500 has a wired remote and I would like to know if this is just for stills or will the normal Panasonic remotes from people like Libec also control zoom and start/stop when shooting video.

Ron Evans

Chris Harding
December 20th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Hi Ron

My mate Scott in your part of the world is using an FZ2500 with a varizoom unit and says it works perfectly for video. I suspect if that works then the Libec would work too.

Ron Evans
December 20th, 2016, 07:15 PM
That is great as I am thinking of using instead of my AX100 as the FZ2500 can also be controlled with WiFi app that is more comprehensive than the Sony PlayMemories control. Yes I am sure the libec controller I have can be set for Sony or Panasonic and will likely have the same protocol as the Varizoom. I am up for buying what ever works anyway as the main thing is to use like a normal camcorder on a tripod as well as a remote controlled with WiFi.

Ron Evans

Chris Harding
December 20th, 2016, 08:16 PM
I also have FZ1000's and they seem to work well with the Smartphone App ...I haven't yet tried it but I think you can also zoom with the App via wifi so that is also a remote option ..I must admit I prefer physical controls as I find "swiping" with fingers sometimes doesn't work ...give me a rocker switch any day!!

Our FZ2500's have at long last arrived in Australia YAY!! Picking mine up after lunch today!!

Roger Gunkel
December 21st, 2016, 04:50 AM
Hi Chris,

The FZ1000 does indeed have zoom control from the app in addition to being able to adjust gain while filming and many other adjustable parameters. I often use my second FZ1000 as a B cam, and can monitor the video via the app and change zoom etc to add variation to the shot in addition to the cropping in post. I'm sure the 2000/25000 does exactly the same.

Using the remote gives you some of the flexibility of a second shooter on the B cam although you can't physically pan or tilt. You can of course still crop to pans and tilts from wide angle 4K footage in post, and still be able to control things like white balance, focus, zoom and exposure just by using the app live. For a solo shooter it's a godsend.

Roger

Chris Harding
December 21st, 2016, 06:29 AM
Hi Roger

Yes I know but I don't really need it for weddings as I have the main camera and audio XLR module on the tripod usually in the aisle and my B-Cam is handheld so I can get to zoom controls easily. The new 2500 has awesome push button slow zooms too (variable speed) which is perfect for weddings!!

Now, I can see the app working for me when I'm doing a multi camera live broadcast as the cams are all fixed. The software allows me to zoom any camera but being able to do an optical zoom is better as I'm normally at the computer and remote control would be a nice add-on. One assumes you could also use a tablet .. that would be neat next to a computer without having to disturb guests to adjust camera controls.

I'll have to check the app to see if it now includes activation of the slow zoom feature the FZ2500 has