View Full Version : Youtube added 4k streaming support

Andrew Smith
December 12th, 2016, 07:03 PM
Personally I don't understand why HD isn't good enough. :-)

Specs for 30fps 4K video are:
- Resolution: 3840x2160p
- Video Bitrate Range: 13,000 - 34,000 Kbps

Good luck having an internet connection fast enough for that.

More on their 4K streaming support is at: YouTube adds support for 4K live streaming (https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/30/youtube-adds-support-for-4k-live-streaming/)

Andrew

Chris Harding
December 12th, 2016, 11:10 PM
Hi Andrew

The normal stream rule is to broadcast out at 50% of your upload speed so would we ever get 26mbps upload never mind 68mbps??? The best I have had on the 4G network is a constant 22mbps. Livestream Studio handles 4K cameras easily BUT would anyone seriously try to broadcast out in 4K ??? I guess it would be fine if your studio had that sort of connection and your viewer audience all had 60" UHD Smart TV's ..most of my clients watch on a phone, tablet or laptop. I would suspect that the viewers would have to have quite a decent ADSL2 download too? Mine is usually hovering around the 10mbps download speed so the video would stall every couple of seconds ... I don't think the general viewer could even tell the difference on the device they are using!!!

Andrew Smith
December 12th, 2016, 11:51 PM
Hearing you loud and clear on that one.

I had a look at the stats on one or two of my streams through YouTube and I think 720p was the highest that anyone was doing for the playback.

Andrew

Chris Harding
December 13th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Nothing wrong with 720 .. we still have a 42" LCD TV and max resolution is just a tad more than 720 ( I think 1360x???) and the image looks perfect to me so a casual viewer would also see it as good. It's the old story of technical perfection vs content and most (if all) are only interested in the content. I feed 1820 into my vision mixer but keep the project at 720 so it does a downsize for me ... the picture even at 2000mbps is pretty good and never had a complaint. If you are all set up for 4K and your venue shows you have an upload max of 5mbps you are screwed so I still rather send a 720 stream that is stable and continuous!

If you also broadcast out from a software based vision mixer I can imagine what sort of specs you would need for 4K?? My CPU on my i72600 runs around 50% when I stream 720 ... and that's a 3.4GB 4 core processor .... what would one need to send out 4K at something like 50 mbps? The specs would be boggling!!

Steven Digges
December 14th, 2016, 08:52 AM
And there is much more to the stream than the "up" at point of broadcast and the "down" at receiving end. Your only as good as your weakest bottleneck in-between those two points. The World Wide Web (remember that term?) is a big place and there is lots of congestion!

4K Streaming......Why? I wonder what You Tubes real motivation is for that offering???

Steve

Noa Put
December 14th, 2016, 01:07 PM
I recently checked on google analytics on my website for the past 90 days and the highest resolution screen that was used to view my website was 2560x1080 which was only 5% of the total and the most used screenresolution was 1366x768 with 30% of the total. So no user with a 4K screen yet.

Jim Michael
December 14th, 2016, 02:19 PM
One reason is VR support, with the 4k spread over 360 degrees.

Josh Chesarek
December 14th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Most of my sporting events are watched through mobile devices or computers but a growing portion are now using apple tvs, rokus, and other devices connected directly to their TVs. I expect the 4k viewers to come from there more than anywhere. At the moment though my cameras etc are 1080 so they are still not getting 4k yet.