View Full Version : FFmpeg "error, slice out of bounds" happens with the 1st frame of clip being corrupt.

Jack Zhang
December 14th, 2016, 02:28 AM
I don't know if it's a symptom of starting and stopping recordings too fast, but I get invalid beginning of file borders on some of my recordings that show up as "error, slice out of bounds" and "error decoding picture header" in FFmpeg on Odyssey ProRes files. (these happen regardless of if they're converted from segments or a single file)

I'm using a Convergent qualified Samsung 850 Pro 512GB and so far I've never encountered an error like this through all my testing of the unit, yet it decided to crop up on a field shoot. The affected clips are grey for frame 1 when viewed in the Odyssey playback mode. The rest of the affected clip besides frame 1 is fine.

I'm going with the benefit of the doubt that it is because the time between recordings was too short. I often get a screen glitch happen after a successful recording most likely indicating that the Odyssey has successfully closed the AV data (like what happens when a safe eject happens when the screen starts glitching because it needs to write tons of filesystem requests)

Dan Keaton
December 14th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Dear Jack,

Our support team can assist you.

I assume that you were pressing the record button on the camera, and not the Record Button on the Odyssey.

It is necessary for a slight pause, as the Odyssey needs to close the previous recording, and then get ready for the next.

You should be able to see on the Odyssey when it is ready to record again.

If you wish, you could create a support ticket, so our team can analyze this issue.

Or you could run a test, watching the Record Button on the Odyssey, which should indicate when it is ready to ready again, even if you are using controlling the Odyssey via the camera.

You could go to our website, click on Support, then Support Ticket, then Product Support.

Or you may call me and I will be happy to assist you in troubleshooting this problem.

seven one nine --- nine three zero --- one three seven six (a US number)

Respectfully,

Jack Zhang
December 14th, 2016, 03:58 PM
It would just be better if there was better visual feedback than a greyed out button or indicator. I can never tell and when I hit the camera trigger after too short of time between takes and the Odyssey does nothing as a result. Timecode advances but nothing happens on the Odyssey itself.

Dan Keaton
December 14th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Dear Jack,

Which firmware version are you using?

Our latest is 2016.10.1641.

If you are not using the latest version, please call me.

The Grayed-Out Button, when in Camera Trigger means that is it not ready to record. A Red Button saying Camera Trigger means that it is ready to record.

We just ran a test, and the delay from when you press the record button on a camera to stop a record, until when the Odyssey is ready to record again, is three to four seconds.

I will be discussing your request with our team.

Respectfully,

Jack Zhang
December 14th, 2016, 05:25 PM
I am using the latest firmware. If I hit record as soon as the camera trigger indicator becomes available after being greyed out, the file header corrupts. The rest of the file is fine, but the file header reads as the error in the thread title in FFmpeg.

Dan Keaton
December 14th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Dear Jack,

I will report this to our team.

Respectfully,

Jack Zhang
December 15th, 2016, 03:22 AM
Just an update, the more serious 1 grey frame at the beginning files come up with thousands of errors saying "invalid plane data size" in FFmpeg.

Dan Keaton
December 15th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Dear Jack,

I have alerted our support team.

I have alerted our engineers.

To avoid this issue, please wait a few seconds after ending one recording and starting another.

It would be helpful if you started a Support Ticket, then you will be able to communicate with our team, and send them sample files.

Respectfully,

Jack Zhang
December 15th, 2016, 04:43 PM
As I've explained before, I don't own the account the Odyssey is tied to so I cannot issue a support ticket, this forum is the best I can do.

And unfortunately the content shot is under NDA so I cannot share the files. I've shared as much about the conditions that caused the files as I can. I was using a Sony a6300 in UHD "HDMI Only (24p)" mode going to the HDMI in with the record mode set to camera trigger.

Dan Keaton
December 15th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Dear Jack,

Please understand that anyone, whether they have an account on our website, or not, can create a support ticket.

Just select the option where you do not have an account, or not logged in.

Our team has been running tests, and we can't get it to fail using the information that we have from you.

Our testing does not involve using FFMPEG, but we use other programs to play/test the Apple ProRes Files.

If you have any other ways to read our files, please try another program.

To be clear, I feel that the problem that you are having is our problem, but testing with another NLE or Apple ProRes file reader will help us resolve this problem for you.

If you are attempting to press the Record Button on the camera, the instant that our Camera Trigger goes Red, and it is failing for you, please try waiting another second.

In our testing, we have been trying quite a few ways to get this to fail.

After installing 2016.10.1641, it is imperative to do the following:

1. Press the Gear Button in the upper left hand corner of the Odyssey.

2. Press Odyssey

3. Press Reset

4. Press All (Factory Defaults)

5. Press Ok

Afterwards you will have to setup the Odyssey again for your application, but you any activation codes are not reset.

If this was not performed, after the firmware update, then the firmware will not work correctly.

==================

We release two 2016.10 firmware releases, 2016.10.1639, and 2016.10.1641.

Please:

1. Press the Gear Button in the upper left hand corner of the Odyssey.

2. Press Odyssey

3. Press About

Let us know which firmware release number you are using.

====================

You may call me any time, 24/7.

If you can't reach me, please call our support team at

720-221-3861, in Colorado Springs, CO USA, during normal business hours.

Jack Zhang
January 9th, 2017, 07:30 AM
I just tested the files in Premiere CC 2017 and the first frame is green, most definitely indicative that it's not a problem with FFmpeg and it's a problem with the file itself. Same problem happens in Resolve.

Dan Keaton
January 9th, 2017, 07:40 AM
Dear Jack,

Could you please let us know which firmware version is installed on the Odyssey that you are using?

This is found by Press the "Gear Button" in the upper left-hand corner of the Odyssey,
then pressing "Odyssey", then Pressing "About".

I and our support team will be happy to work with you to help resolve this issue.

You may call me at:

seven one nine --- nine three zero --- one three seven six.

Or our main support number, during regular business hours for USA Mountain Time,
720-221-3861.

Respectfully,

Jack Zhang
January 9th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Same revision as before. These were the same files I reported at the start of the thread.

Dan Keaton
January 9th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Dear Jack,

Previously, in this thread, you stated:

"I am using the latest firmware.".

It would be very helpful if you could provide us with the actual firmware version number.

It is important for us to confirm the firmware version so we can perform further steps to resolve this issue for you. We can setup a test in our lab when you provide us with the firmware version number.

===============

You started this thread by stating:

"I don't know if it's a symptom of starting and stopping recordings too fast,"

We have tested, in our lab, with our latest firmware version 2016.10.1641, attempting to get our Odyssey to fail by starting and stopping recordings very fast.

We could not get our current firmware to fail in this manner.

We would very much like to resolve this issue for you, but we need more information.

Please allow us to help you further.

Respectfully,

Dan Keaton
January 11th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Dear Jack,

Could you please send us a file that contains the error, for our team to analyze.

You have my email address, and you may use WeTransfer to send us one 4G or smaller file.

WeTransfer can send up to 20 GB size files for free, but we just need a small 4G or smaller file.

Respectfully,