View Full Version : Sony A7S or Sony A7S ii & Best Lense Options

Matt Thomas
December 15th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could give me further advice whether to get a A7S or the mark 2, I gather the mark 2 is little better in low light and does 4K internally, on the other hand the A7S is available cheaper then the mark 2, but is there any other pros/cons for either one I've missed.

Also, What are the better lens options for these cameras. I like the look of the Sony 28mm - 135mm G Lens, but it comes at a price and have seen on a video on youtube that it's not as sharp as a much cheaper Sigma 24-105 f/4 lens but which then will forfeit the servo zoom etc.

Lastly, if I adapt my Samyang 14mm and 85mm EF to E-Mount do I lose any stops of light because of the mount, or does it not effect it being that the A7S is mirrorless?

Thanks

Noa Put
December 15th, 2016, 05:09 PM
There are a few articles on the internet that talk about the differences between the camera's, this one might be a good read: https://www.cinema5d.com/ultimate-sony-a7s-ii-vs-a7s-test-difference/
Also, as far as I know a dumb adapter doesn't cause any loss in light gathering.

David Barnett
December 16th, 2016, 11:25 AM
For low light and the price, the Sigma 35mm 1.4 lens is great. I use it for receptions/dance floor & it's ideal. Granted, its a prime lens so myb isn't ideal for all shoots. I'm amazed by what I can get away with on it.

Pete Cofrancesco
December 16th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Lenses are the Achilles heel of the A7. Sony lenses aren't to my liking and are slow, expensive... I'm not a fan of primes for weddings unless you have the luxury of multiple shooters or multiple bodies. It's just too easy to get caught with the wrong focal length. There's no denying nothing can touch an A7 in low light with a fast prime.

Matt Thomas
December 18th, 2016, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I agree that it is really hard choosing lenses for a A7S ii (I think I'll go mark ii now) and the Sony lenses that look good for video like the Sony 28 - 135 G lens is expensive (£2000) and the reviews of it seem hit and miss.

As anyone used the Sony 28 - 135 G lens? Is it as soft as some reviews have made out? If it is, maybe the Sigma 24 - 105 f4 Art lens maybe a better choice as I'd be able to get a Samyang 35mm and perhaps Samyang 50mm with what I would have saved from the getting the Sony.

If I go for Sigma and Samyang lenses, does it make more sense to go EF mount and use an adapter like the Metabones/Sigma MC11/Commlite if the main use is going to be using manual focus for video? As I believe EF lenses will retain their value better then E-Mount lenses?

David Banner
December 18th, 2016, 05:39 PM
I just ordered the A7Sii after looking at the A7S since it came out.
The IBIS and internal 4K were the main reasons for the MII (mainly 4k).
The current gift card offerings helped me pull the trigger now.
I have a shortage of lenses so I'll have to build up slowly. I want the 28-135 Sony but will have to wait.

Matt Thomas
December 20th, 2016, 06:22 AM
Yeah, some parts of the 28 - 135 look good, but the image quality I saw in this video put me off a little. Granted that was for stills, but still little bit off putting for the price tag - Sony 28-135 f4 Review - YouTube

Jem Moore
January 6th, 2017, 08:12 PM
I owned an A7s when it came out, then sold it to get the A7sii. 4k is great for me mainly for being able to re-frame and push in, not for delivery in 4k. But for stabilization without losing quality in post, and for punching in, it's amazing. The picture quality of the A7sii is just as lovely as the original, and now that I've been using the EOSHD cinema pro color profile, it's even better.

As for lenses, I've fallen in love with the G-master 24-70mm, which you can see in action in the clips below, albeit on the A7rii. It's pricey to be sure, but it's relatively fast, stable, and with amazing clarity and color. Hope that helps...

EOSHD Pro Color Cinema test, A7rii - YouTube