View Full Version : Great Horned Owls

Doug Jensen
January 2nd, 2017, 07:21 PM
I came across these owls in Florida on New Years Day. Beats watching a parade or football on TV!

Great Horned Owls in Florida with Sony F55 on Vimeo

Bryce Comer
January 2nd, 2017, 09:03 PM
Wow beautiful images Doug,
Did you do much colour correction on them? The colours are beautiful. The second last shot was interesting, was it a pink reflection from the sunset?
Thanks for sharing.

Mark Williams
January 2nd, 2017, 09:49 PM
Very nice. My favorite was the last shot. Love the colors.

Doug Jensen
January 3rd, 2017, 07:12 AM
Wow beautiful images Doug,
Did you do much colour correction on them? The colours are beautiful. The second last shot was interesting, was it a pink reflection from the sunset?
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Bryce and Mark.

Yes, it was graded in Resolve. I shoot Sony 4K RAW with my F55 so everything requires grading whether I want to or not. Fortunately, I like grading and consider it the modern equivalent of my old B&W darkroom.

The color in the eyes on the last couple of shots is actually being created from a LED flashlight I have mounted on an arm I have on top of the camera.

Oren Arieli
January 3rd, 2017, 08:48 PM
Beautiful shots, Doug. Long end of a 200mm? Any clear-image zoom involved?

Doug Jensen
January 4th, 2017, 07:47 AM
The lens was my Canon 200-400 f/4 that has a built-in 1.4x extender. That gives me a range of 200mm to 560mm without changing lenses.

The F55 does not have a Clear Image Zoom function, but some of the closest shots used the camera's 2K center crop mode. Of course the trade-off is that those particular shots are only in HD instead of 4K.

Harry Pallenberg
January 4th, 2017, 03:06 PM
The color in the eyes on the last couple of shots is actually being created from a LED flashlight I have mounted on an arm I have on top of the camera.

What light? I have a 4sevens that is too cool and a Zebralight that is too warm for me to easily balance with
most ambient light around...

Doug Jensen
January 4th, 2017, 07:29 PM
It's just a cheap flashlight I got at Walmart last weekend. It's an Ozark 600L. I've been wanting to experiment with adding some fill light at dusk and dawn (like still photographers do with a flash and extender) to see if I can bring out more color in the birds I'm shooting this winter. I think there's only a short amount of time at each end of the day where it will work -- too light out and it doesn't make any difference . . . but a little too dark and it will look like a flashlight! I think I'm going to get two more and mount them together. One light sort of worked and the color is good enough (for a flashlight), but I think three will work better. I don't know if I'm blazing new territory here or if others have done it before, but it's something different to play around with.

Bob Safay
January 5th, 2017, 05:32 AM
Doug, great footage! Love the color, looks like you spent a lot of time there. I agree, much better than watching football. Where in Florida were you? Back at the Cape? I am heading down to Naples, FL next week, hope to get in some good shooting. Take care and HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Bob

Doug Jensen
January 5th, 2017, 06:59 AM
Hi Bob, thanks for the comments. Yeah, I'm back in Florida again near Cape Canaveral for most of the winter. I don't mind the cold up north, in fact I miss it, but I can't take that dismal gray, colorless, wet, ugly environment anymore in the winters. :-)

Paul Cronin
January 5th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Very nice Doug,

Have to love that F55, one hell of a camera. And in the right hands like yours it shines. Miss mine.

Football what is that? Go out and shoot anyday instead of TV.

Snow tonight and tomorrow, so you are in the right spot for now. Did ride this morning.

Keep having fun.

Doug Jensen
January 5th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Hey Paul, I was thinking about you up there when I was doing 25 miles today in short sleeves.

Paul Cronin
January 6th, 2017, 06:42 AM
NIce Doug, keep enjoying the miles.

Really cool use of the LED flashlight. The eyes do pop in that shot.

Sabyasachi Patra
January 11th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Nice shots. Watching and shooting owls would definitely score over TV