View Full Version : DSR-11 forgets settings?

Mark Grant
January 22nd, 2017, 03:14 PM
Anyone know how to stop my DSR-11 forgetting its settings when I unplug it from the mains? Seems that every time I do that I have to go into the menu and reset it to DV and 48kHz audio, which is a pain when the menu is only displayed on the analogue output and I don't have any kind of monitor attached.

I rarely use it these days, so I don't want to leave it plugged in when it's not in use.

Dave Barnes
January 24th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Hi Mark - yeah my HVR-M25 and M35U both do that also... I think there is an internal battery that goes bad after so many years... :(

Mark Grant
January 24th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Thanks! Guess I'll just have to keep my TRV900 plugged in as a monitor...

Derek Heeps
March 11th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Sometimes it's a button cell like a cr 2025 which is easily replaced ; other times , the memory battery is charged up by leaving the unit plugged in - it may have gone bad as suggested , but worth trying just leaving the unit plugged in and turned on for a few days to see if it charges up .

If the deck just lies unused and unplugged these days , the battery might just be run down .

It wouldn't be that big a job to replace if needed - even if it's soldered to a board .

Don Palomaki
April 17th, 2017, 07:34 AM
An alternative to an internal battery (button cell or rechargeable) used on some electronic gear was a low voltage large value storage capacitor. These typically had values on the order of 0.5 farads and 3-5 volts, and were used to power the very low drain chips that stored information such as presets on a receiver.

These capacitors were soldered in and had a useful life on the order of 30 years but did require the gear be powered on occasionally (every few weeks/months) to replenish their charge. (I've replaced one in a Pioneer receiver that dated from the 1970s.)

The rechargeable batteries were often soldered onto the board, and had a useful life on the order of 5-10 years. I've replaced them on a few old PC motherboards, while others fit in a socket.

However, I do not know what was used in the DSR11.