View Full Version : Workstation Monitor

Bob Krieger
January 31st, 2017, 09:57 AM
I'm looking at replacing my current monitor with... something else. Should it be a large 4K panel or a 21:9 ultra wide screen type? I've seen numerous posts saying that the 21:9 is better for editing. I'm looking for your input here, folks!
4K and why OR 21:9 and why?

Noa Put
January 31st, 2017, 10:54 AM
I"m looking to get a 4K tv this year as well to use in my editing room, I do have a 29 inch (2560x1080) 21:9 screen though that I use in combination with a 22 inch screen, the 21:9 screen is great to place 2 windows next to each other, like one browser window and a worddocument but I like it the most to watch cinemafilms that are shot in that aspect ratio as I don't get any black bars but a nicely filled screen.

Paul Cronin
February 1st, 2017, 06:47 AM
Bob, I would buy the LG 21:9 monitor for editing. I use two of these and then a 4K TV running off Black Magic box for viewing. It is a cheap and very nice setup with fast refresh and a lot of acreage.

Once you start using three monitor you will wonder why it took so long to switch. It will pay for itself quickly.

George Bean
February 13th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Paul, I am considering a similar setup. Do you have a model number or link for the lg 21x9 monitor? Thanks!

Paul Cronin
February 13th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Here you go George.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1040788-REG/lg_electronics_34um95_34_ultrawide_qhd_led.html

George Bean
February 13th, 2017, 04:20 PM
thanks, much appreciated.

I had looked online at that monitor and similar in the lg line. Looks like the specs are similar and different screen sizes are available. Was not sure if 34" would be to large of a monitor since I am editing fairly close to the screen. The desk is about 32"deep so the monitor would be very close and would be in a dual screen setup.

Noa Put
February 13th, 2017, 04:34 PM
I find my 29inch 21:9 screen pretty wide and also am sitting quite close, I placed my second screen on top of my bottom one so that I don't have to edit as if I am watching a tennisgame

George Bean
February 13th, 2017, 04:39 PM
that is a good idea. i have a 27" 16x9 monitor that is not in use that will be the second screen in the dual setup.stacking them makes a lot of sense.

i am putting together a new workstation based on an adjustable sit/stand desk and seems like a good time to update the monitors.

Paul Cronin
February 14th, 2017, 05:22 AM
My 34's are 44" away, and my 42 is 60" away. The 34's are side by side at a 15-degree angle in, and the 42 is above the left screen with the middle of it at the end of the left screen. All screens can be angled up and down to be directed at my line of site.

The two 34's above each other would not work well for me at all, but we each have to find our preferred set up. This is the most productive setup I have had since computers became my editing platform.