View Full Version : connecting to xlh1a

Dale Guthormsen
February 14th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Mu sony has hdmi so all is ok.

But can i hook up my xlh1A no sdi or hdmi???

thank you.

Jeff Pulera
February 14th, 2017, 01:20 PM
To get an HDMI or SDI signal out of a camera with Analog Component output, you'd need a converter from Analog to HDMI or SDI, however I don't know of any such portable, battery-powered solutions. Just larger units requiring AC power, for local use.

Dale Guthormsen
February 14th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Would this work?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/918747-REG/startech_cpnta2hdmi_component_to_hdmi.html

Ed Roo
February 14th, 2017, 09:09 PM
What about Firewire out of the camera to intermediate device that has HDMI or SDI out?

Dale Guthormsen
February 18th, 2017, 10:24 AM
will look into this. had not thought of that.

Jeremiah Rickert
April 25th, 2017, 10:42 PM
I bought an AverMedia component to HDMI adapter. You can hook up the RGB and L/R Audio to it, and (powered by USB) it converts it to HDMI. I was able to hook my XHA1 to a Samurai that way. I bought a small power strip that had two USB ports on it. Works like a charm.

LeRoy Gunderson
May 24th, 2017, 03:49 PM
I had the same problem in trying to get the HD/SDI signal from my Canon XLH1 into my Atomos Ninja Blade. I first tried Atomos Connect S2H product with great success. Very good product and very well made. A little pricey though.

Next I bought a cheap SDI to HDMI converter on Amazon and used a short cable to a battery pack to power it. This also worked quite well and very much less expensive.

Next I bought a very inexpensive Composite input to HDMI output converter and it worked well but the quality suffered somewhat.

If anyone is interested in the cheap routes let me know and I will sent the links for the products I used.

On a side note the quality of the video out of the XLH1 was many many times better than the tape export.

Ian Thomas
May 24th, 2017, 04:48 PM
Jeremiah

that would not work out in the field or is there a way round it

Jeremiah Rickert
October 11th, 2017, 09:56 PM
Oops, sorry I never saw your post. Anything that has USB power on it would work as a source. Portable phone charger?

Donald McPherson
October 11th, 2017, 11:48 PM
Remember analogue will only be SD quality.