View Full Version : Quality Light Stands

Steven Davis
March 1st, 2017, 11:26 AM
So,

I've bought several different light kits and seem to have the same continuous issue where the pole and collar separate from the next section pulling out with the little inside plastic thing. Is there a better brand or is this just the case with light stands?

Steven Digges
March 1st, 2017, 11:35 AM
I have never had a Lowel stand come apart. I have lots of them and I've had some of them for 15 years. They are heavy because they are heavy duty.

Steve

Pete Cofrancesco
March 1st, 2017, 12:41 PM
Matthews is even better

Steven Digges
March 1st, 2017, 01:38 PM
I forgot to mention I have a couple of old Normans still in use too. If you like the traditional aluminum tube design they are well made.

Steve

Dan Brockett
March 1st, 2017, 07:11 PM
I own a lot of different grip gear and by far, the best built is my American stuff. Not cheap, but really top notch. Talk to any pro grip and this is what they like to work with off of the truck.
American Grip Inc. (http://www.americangrip.com/catalog.asp)

Besides American, I like all of my Norms and Matthews stuff 98% as much.

Jim Feeley
March 1st, 2017, 07:23 PM
I have a few C-Stands (one Norms and three Matthews), but for my traveling kit, I really like the light/medium-duty with brake Matthews stands...had mine for 15+ years. They've taken a lot of abuse and are still working fine. Though if I bought again, I might get the medium duty with brake; those have a slightly wider base
Kit Stands ? matthewsgrip (http://products.msegrip.com/collections/kit-stands)

Bonus: Matthews stocks and sells spare parts...in the unlikely event that you need some:
Kit Stands | (http://www.msegrip.com/category/tech-support/kit-stands/)

Ken Plotin
March 1st, 2017, 10:22 PM
+1 on Lowel stands. Several of the old KS stands fit in a tripod/golf case along with a couple of grip heads and arms. They are the best light weight location "C stands" I've used (you can pick up 5-10 pound "ankle weights" in many sporting goods stores to use as sandbags.) Even the light weight Lowel stands are fine for most LED panels and smaller fluos.
Ken

Donald McPherson
March 2nd, 2017, 12:39 AM
WOW what a price for Matthews stands I just googled. But then again you get what you pay for. And if they last as long as you guys say. You have the knowledge that they will not let you down.

Jim Feeley
March 2nd, 2017, 11:01 AM
Matthews makes dozens of stands. Some really are expensive...and justifiably so. But the specific medium-duty with brake kit stand typically retails for US$80 or so.

I have negative impressions of Lowel stands. But note that's based on their old/cheap single-strut leg flexy stands. I'm totally willing to think that their newer stands with tubular legs (or perhaps double struts) work fine.

Same general feeling with Manfrotto and Avenger... I'm just not that familiar with their product lines... Though I think the Manfrotto stands that stack/click together for compact transportation are pretty clever. But over $100/each
https://www.manfrotto.us/3-pack-black-alu-master-stand-ac-12-4-sect-3-risers

I guess the key thing is that the light-kit stands we all seem to like (ie- not talking about C-Stands) run about $75-$100 each. Divide that by how long you'll have them and they each cost you about a beer or cappuccino per year.

Nate Haustein
March 2nd, 2017, 07:47 PM
I've had 3 Manfrotto 1052BAC light stands, and 3 1005BAC stands for about 5 years now. Overall, while not perfect, I think they've been worth it.

The 1052BAC is a decent size for smaller light panels, 1x1s and such. The 1005BAC is larger, and I feel comfortable putting a KinoFlo Diva 400 on it. The nice thing about them is that they lie flat - on the cart, and in the truck. It really does save space and make for easy transport. The little clips that keep them nested have broken on a couple, but I'm pretty rough on them...

There's a time and place for everything though. C-Stands are nice to have for the versatility, and I've also invested in a few "Nano" stands for travel. For everyday stuff, such as light interview and corporate location work, I think the Manfrottos have worked well enough.