View Full Version : Demuxing XDCAM HD422.mxf audio tracks

Bryan Worsley
March 2nd, 2017, 08:12 AM
I've been helping someone (on another forum) with editing of XDCAM HD422.mxf footage using the linux NLE KDenLive, which runs on the MLT framework (ffmpeg based). KDenLive imports the native mxf files OK, but can't handle multi-audio track import - it only extracts the first audio track and the guys footage was recorded with two audio tracks.

Best prospect is probably extracting the audio tracks and importing the 'missing' track separately. I know ffmpeg or ffmbc can be used to demux mxf files, but he is not familiar with using command line tools. Anyone know of a freeware tool (Linux and/or Windows) with GUI that can demux mxf audio tracks ?

Tried AVIDemux but it doesn't accept mxf files.

Cheers.

Jack Zhang
March 2nd, 2017, 03:59 PM
Provide him with a template. It's the best advice I can give. You're going to have to liberally use the "-map" feature to output however many mono WAV files from the source.

Bryan Worsley
March 2nd, 2017, 09:13 PM
Thanks Jack. Yes I have ffmpeg command lines that would do the job, but he's not up for it.

On the plus side however there is a modified version of VirtualDub with high bit depth support - 'VirtualDub FilterMod' - that can import the XDCAM HD422.mxf files and extract the PCM audio streams:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfiltermod/

I've suggested that to him as the best (freeware) alternative I could come up with.

BTW - I was checking out your tutorial and ffmpeg (10-bit) command lines for creating 'pseudo' XAVC-I files the other day:

Tutorial - Creating Psuedo XAVC-I 4K intermediate files in FFmpeg via libx264 for Legacy Premiere CC 2015 on Vimeo

Nice. Now how could anyone watching that find CLI ffmpeg daunting ? ;>)