View Full Version : UWOL 42 -Tales of wonders and woes

Trond Saetre
March 2nd, 2017, 11:41 AM
The main goal of uwol is to push your own limits, so each and everyone of you improve your skills as film makers.

What goes right, what goes wrong and everything in between about the making of your uwol42 films.
Feel free to share.. or ask for tips and so on...

Whatever you do, remember to follow rule 11 (have fun!)
Hope the extra month and the intermediate option of feedback, turn into many submitted films :)

Good luck, everyone! Remember your imagination is the limit.

Victor Wilcox
March 2nd, 2017, 03:10 PM
I'm really looking forward to the challenge. I retired the end of February, so the only distraction will be my ranch duties. This will be my first project using my DJI Phantom 4 Pro to add a new perspective to go with my Sony FDR-AX100. As is my luck, the first week will be a washout due to the Houston Rodeo trail ride and RAIN, RAIN, RAIN. But we have lots of days and nights.

Trond Saetre
March 3rd, 2017, 01:28 AM
Victor, If you plan to fly your drone in a controlled airspace, give the local air traffic control tower a call. They may give you permission for a night flight if they don't have other aircrafts in the same area.

Mark Hartopp
March 3rd, 2017, 04:10 AM
OK I'm bashing my head over this one. Big ideas. Don't have the equipment or budget to pull them off. Would love to have a go at drone filming, but here in the UK I'm surrounded by restricted air space and drone regs.

Victor as Trond mentioned safety first.

Victor Wilcox
March 3rd, 2017, 03:33 PM
Thanks Trond and Mark.

I live out away from town in class G air space so the only restrictions that apply are the 400' altitude and night flight. I plan to spend most of my flight time down below tree top level on our 46 acre ranch so I might get away with few runs at night, but I will probably do most night shots with a camcorder as it doesn't crash into trees in the dark.

Phil Murray
March 6th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Plantersville is out away from town?

Just kidding! I used to coach in Tomball about 20 years ago so I've been through there a few times.

I've been going back and forth between using my AX100 and my old Sony Ex1r. I've been experimenting with lots of different things using both cameras to see which best gives me the "look" I'm aiming for and every time the Ex1r just looks better. I love my AX100 for a LOT of things, but video from the Ex1r still seems to be better. (It's just so darn big and heavy and worthless in low-light settings.)

I'm looking forward to seeing how you use your Phantom and how well the shots integrate with shots from your AX100. (I'm thinking about getting a Mavic Pro to take it to South America because of its extreme portability.)

Andrew Hood
March 8th, 2017, 08:02 AM
I'm still formulating ideas. The last couple of days I have been helping someone filming a documentary locally after finding out about it the night before. I was tagged in a video (an initial intro to the doco) on Facebook by a friend, only to find out there was footage of my Dad in it from 1991. I got in touch with the person who was actually making it, someone I knew of but had never met, who had known my Dad from working together for 10 years in the 80s/90s. So I'd asked about getting more footage and offered to help. It's been a couple of days running around the local briquette factory. It ceased operating in 2014, but they still have a small stockpile of briquettes, and are preparing to demolish the whole plant over the coming months, and perform remediation work over the next 2 years. So the rush was to get things filmed before this part of history is lost to us. Just today special forces paid a visit to practice putting holes in a few walls with explosives (not the asbestos lined ones), but they wouldn't allow filming, and we left before that anyway. It's been fascinating to see around the plant, how everything works. Ultimately it's considered progress, but it seems such a waste to just destroy the factory when it's been such an iconic landmark.

Kevin Railsback
March 8th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Was trying some new gear and had some issues but thankfully with the help of people far more knowledgeable than me, I know what to do to avoid it in the future.

Ran my idea past a few of you and it sounds like it's a decent idea.

Only a few opportunities for me to get some shots but it wouldn't be a challenge otherwise.

Now to flesh out the story while I'm waiting for the 40mph winds to die down and the snow that's coming to be over.

Mark Hartopp
March 8th, 2017, 09:01 PM
I'm still trying to find an idea that complies with the rules. Latest one is just graphics and drawing only. No filming involved.

Mick Jenner
March 9th, 2017, 02:57 AM
You are obviously consumed with constant thoughts and worries over this challenge Mark as you posted at 3am this morning when the more sensible of us were fast asleep lol. Hopefully after your restless night you now have some positive ideas.

Kevin Railsback
March 9th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Mark,

Plenty of time to come up with a game plan.

If you're stressing about it, let it go and come back to it in a few days.

You're can always give us an idea of what you have access to and we can brainstorm some suggestions that you can build off of.

It could be anything like a comedy about the night and day difference between nature filmmakers and "real" filmmakers.

Could be something like flowers that bloom during the day and flowers that bloom only at night.

The night and day difference in the subject matter you find when you slow down and actually "see".

The most important thing is to have fun challenging yourself.

Give it some time and if you're still stuck, we're here to help if we can

Mark Hartopp
March 9th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Hi Kevin & Mick

Thank you for your concern, I've got a lot on my mind at the moment. Entering the UWOL is my way of venting stress and getting out filming. Non of it is a quick easy fix. I love filming and sometimes my brain gets fixated on trying to solve a technical problem in my sleep. But at the moment the other stuff in my life is giving me creative block.

I've set myself the challenge of using a Sony AX53, which is a challenge in it's self.

I would turn a simple shot or idea into a very complex camera move as I try and do something different. I also have to tell a story.

We'll see how I get on over the next few days with ideas.

Dale Guthormsen
March 20th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Hello,

Well, its been all mukey and yukky weatherwise, not much inspiration yet.
got the bill on repairing my sony fx1000, a clear 2000 dollars. I told them to send it home, UGggg.

I have a couple ideas I but just been to nasty to shoot anything, and one I need nicer weather to do it. At least its above freezing in the afternoons.

Maybe I will get out the old, old, old canon zr 100 camcorder, thats from the dark ages!

Paul Mailath
March 21st, 2017, 12:46 AM
it's been pissing down here and with work, I haven't done a thing - had the theme stuck on my wall to remind me but... nothing.

Then a couple of days ago I was out the front looking at a gum tree and came up with a pretty good idea - it will take a bit of fruit & maybe some honey & seeds to get the shots I want but it should turn out pretty well.

fingers crossed the weather will bless my endeavour.

Mark Hartopp
March 23rd, 2017, 10:12 PM
I have an idea, it's ambitious. I've got to get everything jotted down on paper. Not sure if I will have anything filmed ready for the halfway point, so I may do a kind of previz video to illustrate my idea.

Paul weather always seams to kill of a good project special when time is short. I'm intrigued my what you saw in a gum tree.

Dale, 2000 dollars is alot and I don't know what UGggg is. Doesn't sound good.

Going back to UWOL #41 wish I had found this page about fractal s.
Amazing Photographs of Fractals in Nature | artFido's Blog (http://www.artfido.com/blog/amazing-photographs-of-fractals-in-nature/)

Kevin Railsback
March 24th, 2017, 08:49 AM
If the theme was rain and clouds I'd be able to film a masterpiece!

Mark Hartopp
March 24th, 2017, 10:22 AM
We should make that the next theme. Then see how many people get the perfect filming condition, but no rain.

Kevin Railsback
March 24th, 2017, 10:44 AM
It will be sunny skies for sure!
Extended forecast shows nothing but clouds until around April 13th
Hopefully that will change!

Trond Saetre
March 25th, 2017, 02:56 AM
If the theme was rain and clouds I'd be able to film a masterpiece!
HA! I might remember you said that. You would probably have a sunny month with nothing but blue sky. ;)

Everyone, remember the opportunity to upload and get feedback for your "work in progress" films.
See the theme release post for the details.

Geir Inge
March 27th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Then I have behind me a few weeks of illness and stay in hospital.
No worries, I'll survive :)
Lying in hospital bed is boring.
My poor wife and our daughters have had to endure with my hilarious snapshot, now fortunately over, as I'm back on my feet again.
Obviously I have not filmed anything yet. I put my trust in the month of April, I might get something accomplished.
The first thing that will happen is this upcoming Friday, we shall pick up our new motorhome/RV.
So we'll see what time brings. The batteries and the camera is in any case waiting, ready in the bag.
Best wishes to you all.

Paul Wood
March 27th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Hope you are feeling better Geir Inge!

I am well into developing my idea into a script and shot list, and if the weather improves (rain here too), I may get some shots before the end of the month.

Good luck to all!

Kevin Railsback
March 27th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Waiting on the weather here too.

Kevin Railsback
March 28th, 2017, 08:31 AM
I only have a couple shots in the can but I think I'll post the script and idea to get some feedback to see if I'm on the right track.
It a,l depends on the weather

Trond Saetre
March 28th, 2017, 09:17 AM
From tomorrow you have the opportunity to upload your unfinished films to request/receive feedback/tips/ideas. See the theme release for the details.

Kevin Railsback
April 3rd, 2017, 07:29 AM
Clouds and rain, clouds and rain. That's all we have here anymore.
I think I need to change my thinking and wish for clouds and rain so it will nothing but clear skies from here on out!

Kevin Railsback
April 5th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Times winding down if you want to post a preview of your film and get some feedback

Paul Wood
April 5th, 2017, 10:50 AM
I have a shooting day planned for Thursday - hope to post a draft edit in the evening to get some feedback on the ideas!

Trond Saetre
April 6th, 2017, 06:06 AM
Sorry I haven't been on here much lately.
Thanks to Kevin and Mick for backing me up and watching the forum for me!

Since I haven't been able to follow up here, I am extending the option to upload and get feedback until Sunday, April 9 - midnight! Any uploaded films will then be deleted last part of next week.

Shoot me an email at uwol@dvinfo.net to receive upload details for vimeo, if you want to use the weekend to get some feedback of your "work in progress" film.

Mark Hartopp
April 8th, 2017, 05:42 AM
I haven't started filming yet. Just managed to get out of bed. I've had a really bad cold for the past few weeks. I was meant to be entering the 48hr London sci if this weekend. Gutted that I don't have the energy. But I am still thinking of a solution to make some sort of film from my bed before the end of Sunday.

Trond Saetre
April 16th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Temporary "work in progress" films uploaded to vimeo, are now deleted according to the procedures stated in the theme release post, and also in this thread.

Everyone:
Remember to request upload details for vimeo, by sending an email to uwol@dvinfo.net.
(And as always, it is better to ask for the info and then not being able to finish your film, than waiting until last second and not have time to upload before deadline.)

How's everyone doing? Been quiet in the forum during the Easter week/holidays.
Hope you all do well and have some ideas for your films.
Pay attention to the important Rule 11 :)

Paul Wood
April 16th, 2017, 02:21 PM
I recorded the V.O. yesterday, and found I was 45 seconds over 4 mins, so began the cutting and reassembly of the rough cut.
Quite enjoyable, and of course highlited my need to get out and shoot the rest, plus some retakes that didn't quite work out.
Still time folks!

Kevin Railsback
April 16th, 2017, 07:55 PM
Sunny every day, cloudy every night.
75% to 79% cloud cover every night.
Wednesday night is supposed to ne 7% cloud cover.
Can I get about a dozen night shots done?
Since I'm in a workshop, probably not.
I'll keep on trying though

Dale Guthormsen
April 18th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Hello Friends

Well, still in the splint and cant use the hand. Don't have a small camera. Weather has been the pits besides being basicly ugly out there. Was going to shoot sky footage only to have it overcast when it was right.
been out of country a few times with no camera of course.

I am going out tomorrow to give it a go. we have had heavy winds forever it seems, hope I have a reasonable day tomorrow.
Hope I dont drop the old xlh1. Can tcarry much for obvious reasons so Its going to be hand held.

Hope I actually get enough to make something.

Mark Hartopp
April 19th, 2017, 03:50 AM
Think its time to think of a new idea. Its tourist season now, loads of people in shorts, disposable smoky BBQs on the beaches. Plus children pulling faces at the camera. May end-up submitting a storyboard.

Kevin Railsback
April 19th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Totally clear skies last night.
Totally gale force winds instead.
Sand is everywhere.
Tried sticking it out but when the wind is blowing me off balance and I'm near the edge of a 2000 foot drop, it's time to call it a night.
So disappointing as the skies were amazing!

Geir Inge
April 21st, 2017, 09:17 AM
Hi all.
It's hardly possible to believe. This round, with 2 months deadline, I have not filmed a shit (sorry for my language).
Much due to illness and a stay in hospitals, but still - I'm a little embarrassed to say that it is bad for the effort.
One night I have been out to film the northern lights, no results. Just a glimpse.
I have 2-3 days next week, available to film the night and day theme.
How do I do this, I wonder? I must have an object, something to film - but what?
Suddenly it hit me, maybe I will try to film the toads in the Austefjord?
As I am an expert in chatting with myself, the answer was YES - I have to try.
The toads move mostly at night, from it's winter destination, down to the water/lake where they mate.
The toads lay long strings with eggs attached to the seaweed, in the water.
What's exciting is the following: Is it too late, too early, or will I manage to catch the toad migration on time?
This will be exciting, if only the weather forecast keeps what it promises - sunny and warmer weather.
Next Friday I'll drive in my motorhome and stay till Sunday, so we'll see.
It's my last chance to make something out of it.

Hope you all are doing fine.
Best of Luck!

Mark Hartopp
April 22nd, 2017, 04:03 AM
Do what I'll going to do. Go out any enjoy filming what ever I can find. It's my own challenge - make something out of nothing. If it fits in with the competition I'll up load it.

Paul Mailath
April 29th, 2017, 03:23 AM
I have to admit defeat - I had a good idea but needed an infrared torch and then when it arrived I picked up a lot of work as a camera assist on a series of TVC's for a bank - good money but exhausting. we wrapped the last interviews on Fri and I haven't got the energy to press record on anything.

Kevin Railsback
April 29th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Uploading!
Been a long crazy ride.
Need to duck the music a bit more in the second track but since the compressed video file is over 2GB
I'll upload a second version after this one is done uploading just to make sure I have a film uploaded.

Mark Hartopp
April 30th, 2017, 08:41 AM
I'm going to fail this time round. Got nothing to upload.

Trond Saetre
April 30th, 2017, 10:47 AM
So far only a few uploaded.
Seems like lack of time, incooperative weather, difficult theme... are major factors this round too, even with the time extension.

If you have a tiny little hope that you might be able to submit a film, then hurry up and request the upload details, if you haven't done it yet.

Phil Murray
May 6th, 2017, 11:59 AM
I have to admit, Trond, that I had some difficulty with the theme. The obvious interpretation - for me, at least - would have been to do some type of juxtaposition between night and day views of some theme, but my equipment just doesn't really allow me to do anything well at night. I asked friends for ideas and they didn't come with anything that I thought interesting and/or doable.

I wanted to do a comparison of where I live (along the coast and near heavy industry) with the remoteness of the west Texas desert areas, but didn't find my footage compelling enough and thought my ideas where not very good interpretations of the theme.

I do like the 2 month period to put something together -- more time to plan as well as seek out opportunities to shoot in unique places. I hope the next one starting in June is the same because I will be in South America for much of June and won't have much time to edit footage when I return if it's only a month challenge!

Theme suggestion (if it hasn't already been used): Diversity. I'm not very creative compared to most, but I can imagine a lot of possible interpretations.

Trond Saetre
May 6th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your comments. There will be more 2-month challenges in the future. (See the other thread about evaluation of the uwol 42).
The plan was to run the June challenge as a regular 1 month challenge. But if a 2-month is preferred, I might do that. Haven't made up my mind yet.

The themes (in general) never has to be interpreted "letter by letter". Your imagination is usually the limit. As an example see uwol 42. 2 entries where night/ darkness and day, like you thought about. Another entry with colors vs black&white.

Your theme suggestion is put on my list. Thank you!

Mick Jenner
May 7th, 2017, 01:22 AM
Not wishing to put pressure on you Trond, but two months for a June challenge would suit me fine.

Kevin Railsback
May 7th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Another two month round would work for me too!

Andrew Hood
May 16th, 2017, 05:58 AM
My issue was leaving it too late and running out of time. Between performing in the Melbourne Comedy Festival (there was no shortage of performers) and doing promo videos for that, along with helping film documentary footage at the briquette factory I ended up somewhat shorter of time than I thought.

Then we had an inaugural 48 hour film festival locally on the last weekend in April, so that took precedence - I filmed and edited... rushed is an understatement, but fun to do. Took a week to recover. Our final film was about 6 minutes long ignoring credits.

I was going to try and do a behind the scenes for my UWOL entry, called 'Night and Day and Night and Day' as it was 7pm on the Friday to about 6pm on the Sunday to do everything, but I already had enough to focus on. I should have just SnapChatted each location and editing, then strung them all together into a 'film'.

"Must" (short film) by HT&E - YouTube

Mark Hartopp
May 22nd, 2017, 01:30 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm sitting in my bed recovering from an Op; and just realised I can't review the UWOL 42 submissions I get a blank square saying plugin not supported. YouTube clips work fine on the site and my Vimeo app works fine on my android tab. It just Vimeo links inside the DVinfo website I can't view. Any ideas? I'm not a web guru.

Trond Saetre
May 22nd, 2017, 02:18 AM
That happens when I'm using my phone to watch the videos. Try click on the title line of the film. Should take you to the vimeo page. This should work.

Mark Hartopp
May 24th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Just wondering if anyone used a DOF adaptor (Like the Letus Extreme). Would like to get some depth to the image on my AX53. Sent loads of emails out to companies and got no responce. Is the tech dead now. Hoping some of the UWOL guys and girl may have used them in the past.