View Full Version : Inside the Vitec Factory

Mark Watson
March 4th, 2017, 12:39 AM
Interesting article on the Costa Rica facility. Lots of pictures showing the assembly of the 634 parts that make up an OConnor 2575 head (serial number C1234-K1500667).

https://www.fdtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/FDTimes-Costa-Rica-Vitec-Factory.pdf

Mark

Alastair Traill
March 5th, 2017, 12:03 AM
Thanks Mark,

Most intriguing. I was very interested to see how the pan drag was produced and adjusted as I have more than idle curiosity in the design of these devices. I was also impressed with the amount of time devoted to testing and logging the performance of their finished product. It must be interesting as well as useful to revisit this data if the head ever comes in for repair or service.

Mark Watson
March 5th, 2017, 04:10 AM
Alastair,

The method of setting the drag surprised me too. I imagined it was done by forcing fluid through a variable-sized orifice. A fluid restrictor. I've been very happy with my Sachtler FSB6, which I've had for several years and also an FSB4, which I've had for a year or so. But there seems to be a huge difference in the guts of the Sachtlers and the OConnors. All made in that same factory.

Mark