View Full Version : HM600 series color matrix correction settings

Paul Anderegg
March 11th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I have calibrated, to the best of my ability, the color matrix adjustments on my HM650. These are for the standard color matrix, and should be compatible with the HM600/620/650/660/850/890. The calibrations were done using 3200k preset and halogen lighting. I am also providing FCPX color correction settings for further improvements to the grayscale.

Please note that when using PRESET on these JVC cameras, there is a severe global green shift of the image. On the FCPX preset, you will see a global color adjustment of 306 degrees at 3%. That specific correction moves the white balance from the green to dead center on the vectorscope. If you shoot using a push to white A or B value, or I believe FAW, then that global adjustment is not necessary. I find it much simpler to utilize a preset temperature, so that I can easily apply this preset to all clips as a pregrade/correction effect.

JVC HM650 STANDARD COLOR MATRIX ADJUTMENTS
(Hue Saturation Lightness)
RED 0 0 0
YELLOW +1 +3 10
GREEN -5 +8 0
CYAN -5 +10 +10
BLUE 0 0 -10
MAGENTA -5 +6 +10

Below shows a stock HM650 color matrix at preset 3200k, then the color matrix adjustments and FCPX corrections, and a side by side of the before and after. To make a preset, just add these values to a clip and click the Save Effects Presets button at the bottom of the right panel.

Paul Anderegg
March 11th, 2017, 04:36 PM
I am learning how to adjust a single color in FCPX. When I figure that out, I will post an update secondary color corrections for green and cyan, which cannot be completely brought into proper vectors in camera. I will also get a trial of Adobe Premier Pro so that I can provide these settings on a color wheel system, but I think users may be able to figure them out from the degrees listed on the FCPX color rectangle.

Paul

William Hohauser
March 12th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Do you have a comparison of the stock preset and the color matrix corrections before FCPX corrections?

Paul Anderegg
March 12th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Left is stock, right is color matrix adjustments without FCPX alterations. Please remember testing was done on preset 3200k, which has a severe green hue shift that cannot be adjusted for in camera.

Paul Anderegg
March 12th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Here is the same two images, but the right has only the single global WB adjustment done to it, which would provide the same colors as if you were to push to white on A or B with the custom matrix settings.

I matched the camera to a DSC chart image from their website, adjusting saturation on both images to equal levels, and adjusted the "lightness" values by eye until they matched as close as possible.