View Full Version : Traveling Lens

Lico Francisco
March 30th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Hi Guys,

What lens do you recommend to take when traveling with a Canon 80D. I was thinking of taking my 17-55F2.8 and 70-200 F4. Will be used for both videos and pictures. Thanks.

Jon Fairhurst
March 30th, 2017, 11:16 PM
It depends. What do you want to create? What's your style? Will you shoot at night? Handheld? Tripod?

The 17-55 is great for "human scale" video with actors, but might not be ideal for traveling. A Tokina 11-16 might be better for landscapes and showing the world around you. The longer lens can be great for cinema verite style - viewing strangers at a distance. For night shooting, you might want a faster prime.

When I've traveled, my best shots were ultrawide - where I either take in a big scope or push in for perspective distortion. I once did a timelapse with a long shutter interval with an ultrawide on the ground, near a crowd. Very cool shot.

The cinema verite thing can be very good. Get shots on strangers doing their thing without them knowing you're there. The challenge is stability. A tripod and IS is ideal, but then you lose the stealth thing.

A mid lens is best when you know the people who you will film. Otherwise, very wide and very long are the way to go, IMHO.

A mid-lens with a wide aperture can do well in a nightclub. When people are drinking, they might not care if you film them up close. :)

And that's the thing about shooting when traveling. So much depends on how bold you are in filming strangers.

Phil Murray
March 31st, 2017, 10:03 AM
I travel to South America regularly and shoot both in urban and rural environments -- particularly in rainforest areas. Jon shared some excellent thoughts that I agree with totally.

I have a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 that is on my camera most of the time. Occasionally I'd like a longer reach, but this one covers most situations.

I had the Tokina 11-16 and it was an excellent lens, but it was too limited in terms of reach while traveling. For landscapes and wide shots, however, it was fantastic. I could cover almost all of what it did with the Sigma, though, and ended up selling it.

I always thought the Canon 24-70 L f2.8 might be a great lens if I was going to carry one lens, but never wanted to spend the money to get just a little more length and lose the wide coverage.

The 80-200 would be a great lens depending on what you'll be shooting. It's just too heavy and doesn't fit what I tend to look for. I have a Canon 100 f2 that works great for "people" shots, but I am not big into changing lenses a lot in the field much or carrying big lenses. I've found that people seem less open to photos if you look like you might be professional.

Jon's right -- it all depends on all the variables of your own needs and style.

Lico Francisco
March 31st, 2017, 10:17 AM
Well guys, I will have to wait next year for the Trip to Guatemala. Wife passport got delayed and Guatemala immigration is behind. Anyways the only wide angle lens that I have is this Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, and 18-135 kit lens. I may have to invest on the Tokina. I have though about buying it.