View Full Version : Sony Vegas 13, GH5 and levels

Phil Lee
April 15th, 2017, 02:57 AM
Hi

Yet another levels question.

I've got video from the GH5, and have used the built in test chart to get a couple of videos, both 8 bit 4K. One chart at 0-255 range and another at 16-235 range.

I was expecting on the time line that the full range video in the preview would look good level rise, and that the 16-235 video would be washed out a little as the preview/timeline is 0-255.

However what I found is both charts are exactly the same in Vegas, and looking at the scopes they are, with 0 and 255 being the top and tail for both.

When I've checked the MOV files with MediaInfo, the full range sample shows Color range as Full, and the 16-235 level sample as color range limited.

I'm thinking then that Vegas is decoding these files and taking the levels into account, and is applying a studio to computer level conversion on the limited range file, is this correct? This is my first time using MOV files and I didn't think Vegas was this clever.

Regards

Phil

Phil Lee
April 20th, 2017, 01:18 AM
Hi

I found the explanation for this in case it helps others. When a test card is recorded on the GH5, regardless of the video levels setting, 0-255 or 16-235, or 16-255, the chart is recorded at 0-255, i.e.the chart seems unaffected by the video level setting.

Regards

Phil