View Full Version : Drifting at Fuji Speedway Part 5

Mark Watson
April 15th, 2017, 04:29 AM
Shot this event on January 28th and just put it up on Vimeo two weeks ago. I was really looking forward to this shoot because I had bought a lot of sound gear and wanted to mic up a car to get better exhaust and tire sounds. I came down with the flu a few days earlier and did not feel like shooting anything, but I had promised some friends I'd be there, so I upped the medication and went. I got a couple DPA 4061 and 4062 mics on a car, with wires going to a Zoom F8 recorder in the back seat. I thought I got my levels dialed in pretty good, but there is some bad distortion. It was a lengthy edit as well, since I just couldn't find many exciting moments to sprinkle around in the video; such as big wipe outs. Maybe next time will be better. I have a couple drift shoots I never did edit, so I might try to make a video from those if I can't get up to the track again soon. They do something called "PVC drifting" and I have lots of footage of that. Basically beginners are out there in their everyday Cube's and other dinky cars with a ring of plastic PVC around the rear tires so they slide all over the place. It's like watching old people in bumper cars. Might put something like that out next. Going to try to get some nice cherry blossom footage tomorrow up near Mt Fuji, if all the rain and wind hasn't stripped the trees by then.

Drifting Action at Fuji Speedway Part 5 (富士スピードウェイでの漂流) on Vimeo